my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Here at our house, the pecans talk...They're complimentary!!!

....On the outskirts of town,
there was a big old pecan tree
by the cemetery fence.

One day two kids filled up a bucketful of nuts and sat down by the tree, out of sight, and began dividing them.

One for you, one for me. One for you, one for me," said the boy.
Several were dropped and rolled down toward the gate.
Another boy came riding along the road on his bicycle.
As he passed, he thought he heard voices from inside the cemetery.
He slowed down to investigate.
Sure enough, he heard, "One for you, one for me.
One for you, one for me."
He just knew what it was.
"Oh my," he shuddered, "it's Satan and the Lord
dividing the souls at the cemetery."
He jumped back on his bike and rode off.

Just around the bend he met an old man with a cane, hobbling along.
"Come here quick," said the boy, "you won't believe what I heard.
Satan and the Lord are down at the cemetery dividing up the souls!"
The man said, "Beat it, kid, can't you see it's hard for me to walk?" When the boy insisted, the man hobbled to the cemetery.
Standing by the fence they heard,
"One for you, one for me. One for you, one for me."
The old man whispered,
"Boy, you've been tellin' the truth,
let's see if we can see the devil himself."
Shaking with fear, they peered through the gate,
yet were still unable to see anything.

The old man and the boy gripped the wrought iron bars of the gate tighter and tighter as they tried to get a glimpse of Satan.

At last they heard,
"One for you, one for me. And one last one for you.
That's all. Now let's go get those nuts by the gate, and we'll be done."
They say, the old guy made it back to town before the boy!



- - -

Another week has gone by so quickly. Bud and I spent one day collecting the fallen pecans from the tree. What the squirrels and birds haven't stashed or cracked open, we saved. Now it'll be a day's worth of shelling them and putting them in the freezer for later cooking/baking. That is, the ones that are left. I tend to eat 'em as I crack open the shells. LOL

A couple of days ago we ended up, after walking on the Texas A&M university grounds [they have an open to the public 4 mile path that goes around Oso Bay]; we ended our day at our favorite bookstore. I found two books that I thought would be interesting to read. "Atonement" by Ian McEwan and "A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare" by James Shapiro. They both were found in the Clearance racks for a dollar a piece. A bargain as I like to look at it...that way if I don't like 'em, there isn't much loss. For years I've been wanting to read "Atonement" and never have. Now, I found it. I love going to this store. Especially when I find an out of print book at half price or less. LOL Now, back to Ward Island and the Texas A&M University ... at one time it was a Naval Training Island [In the 1940s. And if I remember correctly, this is part of the training station of our past president, George H. W. Bush]. The walkway is paved all around the island and behind the campus. Tho the bay waters were receding quite a bit, it was a very pretty and tranquil walk. They've added several gazebos to sit and view the bird life around the bay. Near the end of the walkway, you can sit in one and view from a distance the Naval Air Station that is off limits. Several times while driving through the area we've seen Naval activities...planes and pilots in training along with huge cargo planes landing on the airstrip. [the photo to the direct right shows the air base on the horizon across the bay] Along the pathway there are several signs of interest telling us about the vegetation, the history of the area or the birds often seen in the habitations. In lieu of the hustle and bustle of the active campus behind us, it's quite quiet and very peaceful. And a great place to walk to get away from the busy streets of the city...all within the city. And the sparkling waters gives you a sense of serenity. PS...if you enlarge the last photo of the island, you can see a large 'row' of sandpipers on the shore. This photo was taken from one of the many gazebos along the path.



- - -

Tomorrow, bright and early, I have a cardiologist appointment. My yearly checkup. It's set up for 7:30 a.m. I'm the first one to be seen....hope I don't have to wait about an hour...like it was last year!!! Ugh.

9 comments :

  1. Looks like a very nice walk ! Wish you good luck for the heart check up ! (thumb up !)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Anni thank yor for sharing the pecan story....it brought back memories of the huge pecan tree in my G-ma's back yard and how much fun all the g-kids had collecting them. If we ever told G-ma we didn't have anything to do she'd hand us a bucket and say get busy.
    Good luck tomorrow.
    Hugs Madi and Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Annie
    To answer your question about the mug! I found it at Home Goods!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if we even have that store in our city! Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Morning Dear Anni. I will be keeping you in my prayers for your yearly check-up with your Cardiologist tomorrow. I have to go back in January myself. I'm afraid he will want to do some tests on me since he knows that I smoke. I love me some Pecans too. In one of the houses that we lived in, we had a big Pecan Tree in our back yard. Sometimes it would go good and sometimes it wouldn't. I do remember the first year we lived in that house that it had a good crop of Pecans. My Mom got alot of them because she does alot of baking as well. I'm not the baking type really. I had rather just do the regular cooking. LOL. I sure do envy you. You live where there are alot of places you can go and see. Not the case here in our small town. I sure do enjoy when you post things that you and Bud visit near yall. Take care my friend and I hope you have a great upcoming week.

    Love and hugs my friend,

    Karen H.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In response to your comment:

    Nice to meet you.... I'll meet you at your place and explore some.... So nice you came by... as you can see I have been here awhile, but not... trying to figure out how to get my slide show to work.... have a great day and see you later.... sending smiles and hugs..

    And so glad I did, this is a wonderful place and enjoyed your profile.. She sound like a woman worth getting to know.. again have a great day...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That nut story was funny. I love fresh pecans.

    Your books sound good.

    Good luck on your test.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the story! I hadn't heard it that way. Good one! Sounds like you had a wonderful day! Good luck with the cardio...I have mine in January, a checkup, then all the yearly tests, the another appointment...takes three weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck at your doctor's visit tomorrow. sandie

    ReplyDelete

.