my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes


NEWS FLASH:
I NOW HAVE A BOOK PUBLISHED


Titled Wings Over My Texas
Description excerpt: A non-scientific photographic study of over 200 birds, common, rare, and vagrant birds, along the Coastal Bend of South Texas. Areas include Corpus Christi, Port A...
check out the book details on this linked site!!



Favorites come and go...but this one remains---

Religion isn't something I feel comfortable sharing, with so many readers. I feel it's sincerely something that you either hold dear to your heart and soul, or you don't wish to discuss it at all...both reasons apply to me. I don't like being preached to by others who's beliefs and thoughts are not mine alone. But y'all know I love art. Since today is Sunday, the Sabbath to Christians, I thought I'd write a little bit of my favorite piece of artwork depicting the theme of religion. Ever since childhood, I remember a large painting of my mother's. She had it on the wall next to her bedside along with a table and her Bible. Today, I still have her very worn Bible, but I don't know what happened to the painting. It was a reproduction of course, of the famous work by Henrich Hofmann. A German painter who painted Christ at Gethsemane in the late 1800s. Tho I don't have one of the same, I must say it remains my favorite painting with the religious theme. Oftentimes I thought of painting one in an attempt to get one like mom's. I loved the muted colors with my mother's piece. Many times I've looked online to find one that is the same color tones. I've searched through artwork at antique stores, looking for something ever so similar to her's. Through the years, nothing has ever surfaced that is close. But, as I said above, it remains my favorite painting, and some day I may find one that is done in the muted tones like on the site about the artist....
      From Wikipedia:
      Four of the most famous works of Hofmann are in the possession of the Riverside Church in New York: Christ and the Rich Young Ruler, Christ in Gethsemane, Christ in the Temple and Picture of Christ. According to information of the Riverside Church, the painting Christ in Gethsemane is without much doubt one of the most copied paintings in the world. The religious body of Hofmann’s work has gained in importance in the past years. One of the reasons for the increasing popularity of his artwork is the publication of his paintings and pencil drawings depicting the life of Jesus Christ in The Second Coming of Christ, the interpretation of the Bible by Paramahansa Yogananda, the teacher of Yoga. Heinrich Hofmann was one of the pre-eminent painters of his time. The Sunday Strand – at that time a very popular British magazine– describes him as the most influential contemporary German painter. Hofmann’s style of painting was unique in its own way but at the same time he based his work on the traditional art of old German, Dutch and Italian masters. While in Rome he also came in touch with the Nazarenes – especially through the influence of Cornelius – but throughout his life he remained faithful to the great examples of the Renaissance. Religious paintings take the center stage in Hofmann’s work; but he also created numerous portraits and pictures that depict mythological and historical topics.



POSTED: Sunday, July 25th, 2010
7:00 A.M.

10 comments :

  1. What an incredible shot, a beautiful and on time capture of the butterfly nibbling the juice of flower. Amzing photo Ms. Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Siromade Thanks, I liked watching it flit from one blossom to the next. I do wish I had had better luck photographing it tho, with its wings OPEN. I'll keep trying. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful - I'm pretty sure I grew up with one like that too. I guess one of my pet peeves are the "religious" bumper stickers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's one of my favorites as well. I definitely think you should try to paint it, or do it in pencil.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a beautiful painting. I think you should attempt it - with your talent I'm sure it would turn out great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Give a shot...I'd like to see how yours turns out.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning Annie Sweetie...
    What a beautiful share on this glorious Sunday morning. I too have long loved this picture. It is my favorite.

    How wonderful to have your Moma's sweet Bible to touch and see, a little piece of her faith.

    Moma gave me my very first Bible, inside it she wrote: My Dear Daughter, Fear not tomorrow for God is already there. I remind myself of this each and every day.

    Thank you for sharing with me sweet friend. I love this post. You always brighten my day. I needed this today. I have been very down. Friday I went back to the dr. The visit was not good. I am on 2 weeks of NO talk at work, and as little as possible here at home. They did NOT take me off of the steroids. My lungs are still weak. Then they sat me down to talk to me about the possibility that I will not get my voice back. The damage may be permanent and I will have this hoarse, raspy voice forever. I am not a happy camper.

    This post has reminded me to pray harder, be on my knees a little longer. (I ache in places I did not even know existed. They tell me it is from the steroids.) I will try harder. Thank you sweet friend.

    I am sending you many hugs and much love sweetie...Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new furniture is lovely and what a deal you got! That's cheaper than buying used.
    Hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post. Awesome photograph, just awesome. I think it's wonderful that you have your mother's bible, what a treasure.

    Thanks for sharing this with us today.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this beautiful art.

    ReplyDelete

.