“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






---a pinch of realism and a dash of humor....stir continually






click button to join
Wildflower
found
in grass










END of Macro Monday.
Below you'll find my Monday Morsels for the week.
If you're here to just view my macro shot you can

COMMENT HERE





- - -<><><>- - -


Monday Morsels for me is where I choose to voice a thought that drifts through my days at certain times---today, being so close to our National Holiday of Independence, I choose to rant on this subject...this is quite opinionated, and no doubt, viewed by some as offensive. I guess that's the true nature of blogging....

If you, as an American, choose to omit the two words Under God in your recital of the Pledge of Allegiance, are you less American than those who say the words? I don't think so! Just like if you and your betrothed choose to marry in a courtroom or by a judge....instead of through the church. In the "eyes of the Lord"....you're just as married either way!!! [Did you know that the traditional words spoken..."do you take thee....as your lawful wedded spouse" are NOT in the Bible, but in the Book of Common Prayer?!!]

Sorry, the marriage vows are not what this post is about.

There is always controversy on the American Pledge of Allegiance to our country. [click here - pledge of allegiance scroll down to Supreme Court 1947] We actually have, in schools, in courtrooms, in assemblies, before Congress...etc. etc. etc. recited the Allegiance. Yet, it's been quoted over and over so many times, the actual meaning has been lost to some. It's not about a nation 'under God'...but about a country and your loyalty to the country!! The controversy of course is the words "Under God". Now, in my own opinion, that is not necessarily something that needs debate. It's a personal preference to chose one way or the other. Those two words were NOT part of the original. For me, it's the ardor and dedication to the land on which we live!! Your God is forgiving...why can't the laymen be so forgiving also?!! In America there ARE different religious households...even atheist households. The pledge is dedicating ourselves to our country only. And don't get me wrong...it's the controversy...it's the controversy that I don't understand. It should be right in the way you choose to pledge...with the words, OR WITHOUT. We're pledging our bond, our obedience, our patriotism...to the land!! Just my thought. When we say the first line "I pledge allegiance to the flag"...it's "I promise my loyalty to the emblem; the symbol of freedom"
    Originally it was written in 1892 by a minister of God no less...the words were as follows: "I pledge allegiance to my Flag and the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." Simple, short and concise.
The next lines in today's pledge are: "...of the United States of America." These words were added!! After the original. In 1923. And of course those words are self-explanatory. United States...the union that is united as one...
    In 1923: " I pledge allegiance to my flag of the United States, and to the Republic for which it stands...one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
The next year [1924] it again was rewritten to this:
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
The words of honor, the pledge, were not sanctioned until 1942 by Congress. And the words have been murmured throughout its history. No mention of diety until President Eisenhower, with World War II in our daily strife, was the "Under God" added...his quotation: "...in this way we shall constantly strengthen those spiritual weapons which forever will be our country's most powerful resource in peace and war." We are pledging ourselves to our country only...in history, those initial 23 words; now composed of 31. Indivisible!! --demonstrates the unity, as one country. Liberty!! -- being afforded that freedom. of choice in pledging allegiance to the land upon which we live. And, Justice!! --each person entitled to be treated justly, fairly, and according to proper law and principle. If you don't believe in a God, or don't agree with those two words, I don't feel it's sacrilege...and, I know in my heart many will disagree ...it's just two words...say them, or don't...we can still pledge our union; no matter. America, to me, is NOT about your religious beliefs, it's about freedoms...the right to believe or not....it's purely individual and that is what our country is about...religious freedoms among so many other freedoms we take for granted. I could not and would not tell anyone...ANYONE...to say those two words "Under God" 'or else'- .............because it is not my right to question them in the first place. In the song composed and recorded by Lee Greenwood, he says "And the flag still stands for freedom, and they can't take that away". So many of us respond to a question: "What would you like to see?"...they're response is "World Peace"...how can that ever happen when there is no peace within yourself as a believer or nonbeliever? As John Lennon once said: "Imagine...it's easy if you try." I'm really not too sure if any of that I just typed makes sense at all. But, these thoughts over and over especially in today's times, go through me rampantly too often when the people of this country call others 'wrong' if they believe differently than how I was or you were raised, it's about America's freedoms.


photos off my camera, taken of the flag flies day and night above the American Bank complex in downtown Corpus Christi and the wildflower was in our lawn.


- - -<><><>- - -


Now that I've riled some nerves, I'm sure...I'll add a little bit of humor mixed in....



- - -A visitor from Holland was chatting with his American friend and was jokingly explaining about the red, white and blue in the Netherlands flag. "Our flag symbolizes our taxes," the man said. "We get red when we talk about them, white when we get our tax bill, and blue after we pay them." "That’s the same with us," the American said, "only we see stars, too."

- - -Adam was returning home late one night. When Eve confronted him. "You are seeing another woman, aren't you?" she accused. "Don't be silly," he replied. "You are the only woman on earth."Later that night Adam woke up feeling a tickle on his chest. "What the hell are you doing?" he asked Eve. "What do you think?" she asked. "I am counting your ribs."


- - -<><><>- - -


ALSO: I updated a bit on Van der Sloot's murder charge in Peru yesterday. Link on the bottom of my sidebar





POSTED: Monday, June 21st, 2010
1:00 A.M.



23 comments :

  1. The flower is a real beauty, and your Monday Morsels an educational and enjoyable read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely flower :)
    Happy MM!

    http://foto.rudenius.se/post/2010/06/21/Macro-Monday-e28093-Walking-around.aspx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the flower? Looks like what's growing out of the hostas DC just planted.

    Love the tax humor. And of course Eve counting Adam's ribs - good chuckle for the early morning here in Colorado.

    Have a great day - stay cool! Yesterday was perfect for me - about 80. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS - I admire you for taking a walk in the heat and humidity - I couldn't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful flower !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that shot, nothing disturbing the image in the background, just a beautiful green backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful...I actually captured one similar to this yesterday :) Thanks for visiting my macro shot. Peace, love and blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a wild flower that is new to me - very delicate and well captured!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know - the polyester thing was so dumb! I don't know what in the world I was thinking! But I looked good! ;0)

    I am so excited about your irises! Ours are all done. I can't believe you're getting some now in the midst of the heat. That's wonderful. I can't wait to see the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely macro!

    http://fredamans.blogspot.com/2010/06/macro_21.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't agree more. Very well said. The most unChristian people I know consider themselves Christian. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So delicate!

    Lovin' Macro Mondays,
    Cameo @-->-->---

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dawn I don't know what the flower is...it's blossoming from some type of grass...the stem with the flower is coming right out of blades of grass.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a sweet little wildflower - great compostition.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely wildflower capture!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You and I think the exact same way where that subject is concerned. As you say, America is known for its freedom of religion, to be able to believe in whichever God you want to believe in and they should not be made to add those two words when they say the Pledge of Allegiance. It has nothing at all to do with what the pledge is about!!!! Here in Canada they are trying to change some words to our National Anthem and a lot of people are up in arms about it...I say leave it as it was written in the first place!!

    Love the macro shot of that wildflower! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahahaha oh my gush Anni, your joke almost fell me off the chair!! That is funny!! And I am going to share this to my husband right away before I forgot it. Thanks for sharing!


    Macro Monday~The rose

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not knowing the proper name never makes me appreciate the beauty less.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the spider friend making his home in your flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Interesting flower. Looks a little like a wild onion blossom. We used to have them all over San Antonio when I was growing up there.

    And, by the way, I think what you say about the Pledge makes a lot of sense. Freedom is definitely what America is all about, no matter what your religion or lack thereof. You said it perfectly!

    Have a great day!
    Joy @ Joysweb

    ReplyDelete
  21. Is it that time of the year again? Fourth of July coming up soon!

    ReplyDelete

.