“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






T-H-I-R-T-E-E-N-W=O=R=D=S....


Click either button to Join


THURSDAY 13

Working in a psychiatric firm for many years before retirement, I became interested in medical terms and the use of Latin and Greek more times than not. Still am. Most all have origins in those native tongues. As with my blog's title for Thursday, actually being thirteen letters... for today, I'm doing thirteen words that contain thirteen letters, alphabetically from the first thirteen letters...from A to M.

aldosteronism - (ăl-dŏs'tə-rō-nĭz'əm) A disorder marked by excessive secretion of the hormone aldosterone, which can cause weakness, cardiac irregularities, and abnormally high blood pressure. Also called hyperaldosteronism.

blepharospasm - (blef-er-uh-spaz-uhm) Involuntary forcible closure of the eyelids. The first symptom may be uncontrollable blinking. Only one eye may be affected initially, but eventually both eyes are usually involved. The spasms may leave the eyelids completely closed causing functional blindness even though the eyes and vision are normal.

cicatrize - (sik-uh-trahyz) To heal by inducing the formation of a cicatrix; to become healed by the formation of a cicatrix. *cicatrix is new tissue forming scar tissue.

dysmenorrheic (dĭs-měn'ə--rē'ĭk) Suffering from painful menstruation.

epicureanisms - (ep-i-kyoo-ree-uh-niz-uhmz) Interpreted as freedoms from disturbance or pain.

fibrinolysins - (fi·bri·nol·y·sinz) Proteolytic enzymes, formed in the blood from plasminogen, that causes the breakdown of the fibrin* in blood clots. *fibrin is insoluble proteins

glycosylation - (glī-ˌkō-sə-ˈlā-shən) Enzymatic process that links saccharides to produce glycans, attached to proteins, lipids, or other organic molecules. This enzymatic process produces one of the fundamental biopolymers found in cells (along with DNA, RNA, and proteins).

hypermetropia - (hahy-per-mi-troh-pee-uh) A condition of the eye in which parallel rays are focused behind the retina, distant objects being seen more distinctly than near ones; farsightedness

im·mu·no·ge·net·ics - (ĭm'yə-nō-jə-nět'ĭks) The study of the interrelation between immunity to disease and genetic makeup; branch of immunology that deals with the molecular and genetic bases of the immune response.

jointednesses - (join-tid-nes'-sez) Having or provided with joints; formed with knots or nodes.

kleptomaniacs - (klep-tuh-mey-nee-akz) Of, pertaining to, or characteristic of kleptomania or a kleptomaniac. Psychology. An irresistible impulse to steal, stemming from emotional disturbance rather than economic need.

laryngoscopes - (luh-ring-guh-skohpz) Rigid or flexible endoscopes passed through the mouth and equipped with a source of light and magnification, for examining and performing local diagnostic and surgical procedures on the larynx.

maxillofacial - (mak-sil-oh-fey-shuhl) Of, pertaining to, or affecting the jaws and the face: maxillofacial surgery.

- - -


*If you're curious as to what medical instrument is used in my blog entry...there IS a mouseover on the image. Courtesy of Google Search engine




- - -<><><>- - -


THURSDAY THUNKS




Have you ever been in a play or musical? Were you in the drama club in high school? Oh, and by the way, I'm the Queen...as in drama queen.

You are walking down the road and the cops fly by you and stop at the house just a little ways down the street. It's the way you were going to go... do you take a detour to avoid it or do you just keep walking because, hey - you had the idea first! or do you walk by out of complete curiosity? Curiosity will take over!!

I drop a green crayon from the roof and Kimber drops a yellow one - which one will grow wings and fly before it hits the ground? Yellow bird, you've heard of it, right? It goes like this
    Yellow bird, up high in banana tree.
    Yellow bird, you sit all alone like me.

    Did you lady friend leave the nest again?
    That is very sad, makes me feel so bad.
    You can fly away, in the sky away.
    Your more lucky than me.

    I also had a pretty girl, she's not with me today.
    They're all the same those pretty girls.
    Take tenderness, then they fly away.
    Yellow Bird, yellow bird.

    Did you lady friend leave the nest again?
    That is very sad, makes me feel so bad.
    You can fly away, in the sky away.
    Your more lucky than me.

    Wish that I were a yellow bird, I'd fly away with you.
    But I am not a yellow bird, So here I sit.
    Nothing I can do.
    Yellow bird, yellow bird.

What is the first section of the grocery store you go to? And I know that sentence doesn't sound right, but I don't care. I know you don't care....but it's proper to post it this way: "To what section of the grocery store do you go first?" Never ever end a sentence with a preposition. Geez. [of course I'm kidding y'know...I can still understand it all no matter how you compose the question] Now, to answer your question, it's the fruit/produce section...figures!! I yam what I yam!!

Do you like questions that have a yes or no answer or do you like to actually think for yourself and come up with something original? I'm original. Or 'ab'original...or something or other...thunking is what this is all about.

The wall directly in front of you... whats on it? Nothing...it's actually a window...I see a climbing rose outside my window.

Sea salt? Yes indeedy...less sodium per teaspoon!!!

420. You know what it is. It's a time, it's a day, it's a way of life. Did you celebrate yesterday? 4 is a good number, 20 is a good number....I celebrated having the dining room all SPRUNG cleaned....errr, umm....cleaned for Spring.

Can you read a tape measure? It says I'm 5'2"...I have eyes of blue...but it's wrong. I need a new one.

The city/town/village that you live in... it's population is.....???? I'm a minority in the 400,000 or so. Thing is, there are 'suburbs' ---so who really knows the total population. Ask me if I care on this question.

If a laptop fell out of the sky do you think you could catch it? And if you did, do you think it's Finders Keepers? Possession is 99% of the law too.

Driving down the highway, driving down the interstate, driving down a dirt road that you are sure goes absolutely nowhere... whats the longest distance you have ever driven in one trip? ...I have no idea...probably 2500 miles round trip. From Colorado to Ocean City Maryland. After that, I traveled long distances in planes. LOL

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? One will never know, will one?



POSTED: Thursday, April 22nd, 2010
12:01 A.M.




22 comments :

  1. Hi, I liked your post on the thirteen words, very ingenious and interesting.

    I like cleaning too and spend most of my free time making thins clean...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the list, I recognized one word as I am a fan of Epicurean,wonderful recipes... Epicurus seeked absence of bodily pain (something a good brownie can always achieve!)


    Mar

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are I N C O R R I B L Y F U N !
    I know, I know, just want to tease you.

    I always like your posts. You keep me motivated.
    I do appreciate the time, love, devotion and creativity you poured into all your post.
    Love you!
    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow do I need to study up on these words :) Are you sure you don't work for Meriam Webster? LOL Great words my friend. Have you ever tried Alaea? It's Hawaiian Red Sea Salt. :) Have a great Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took Latin in high school, because I knew it would help in Nursing school. It's amazing how much Latin is in medical terms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. how many licks to the centre of a tootsie pop? what kind of a question is that?????? and why do you get to catch a laptop. not fair!!! hiya anni, how are you?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm. I don't think I've heard any of your featured words, except for kleptomaniacs. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Annie! Wow, the laryngoscope is a whole lot scarier looking than its actual beneficial purpose! I guess if ever a doctor comes at me with this thing now, I won't be fleeing his office screaming and horrified!.. So thank you for the heads up! ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  9. They stick that thing down people's throats, I though it was an ice pick.

    Yellow bird, I remember that song from way back.

    Catching a laptop falling at 120mph (laws of gravity) you'd have to be crazy, it'd tear your hands off. What good's a laptop with no hands?

    AV

    ReplyDelete
  10. The one with the eye spasms is kinda frightening!

    Like you, I've never made it to the center of a tootsie pop without biting. I'm a biter, through and through.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, those are great medical words. I was unfamiliar with all but two of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the "sprung cleaning" line. Perfect for "Thunks"! Have a great day, Anni...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Queen Anni! Unlike the Queen of Alaska....
    I was a nurse so I knew most of your 13- good list though. And there are many very great and intelligent people on this planet who are 5'2" eyes of blue....just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  14. Driving down the interstate, running 30 minutes late, singing margaritaville and minding my own

    Can't help it.Some sentences just get me to singing.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  15. Possession is 99% of the law...love it lol!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The first paragraph: You should join the ABC - in English.
    I have joined the Nordiv version.
    Even the fact the text is in Norwgian, you are wellcome to take a virtual photo tour in Buenos Aires: http://toraamusic.blogspot.com

    Seond: I like the poem and song, and even living in Norway, learned it at School.

    Are you coming to the OsloBG?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great thunks! After I got married and had a kid the rule was more than 10 hours and we fly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your blog is wonderful! It gave me a good laugh!
    Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving message.

    Hugs, Cindy s.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love reading your blog! You have such interesting thought to share! And you are so great at creating your background!

    I also have a comment for the 'over 50' blog--is there a way you can list them by last activity? The list is quite long and I have gone through it totally, only to find that some blogs are no longer active or accessible. It would be great to know which ones are current. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like going to the produce section first too. Drove from NY state to Texas. That was a long drive.

    Someday I would love to try to count the licks to the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop. Just so I would know, but I think the number of licks would be different for each person. Just from a small experiment in my A&P class one year.

    Hummingbirds....I love Hummingbirds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good God woman, you sure put a lot of work into your posts!! And I appreciate it : )

    ReplyDelete

.