THIS WEEK at I'd Rather B Birdin'
-photos of-


- -AMERICAN BITTERN- -


click on bird name[s] to view them
and read a bit of trivia about them!!
...............Hope to see you there!..............

TAKE NOTE:
My photos are Lightbox enabled! Just click on one...then, continue clicking on enlarged photos!




'You are not in Kansas anymore. You are on Pandora'....


Click either button to join



HEADS OR TAILS

Theme this week: "LIGHT or DARK".

Well again, it's about movies. Bud and I went to see Wolfman on the opening day this past Friday. And it was a DARK movie. Not only the theme-line and timeline, but the dark, damp, mysterious surrounding of England's Moors in the late 1800s. I've seen just about every movie in the past with this character. I do love to be 'scared' watching horror movies. Hey, it's fun. [that may explain my passion for Halloween?] ---it's like the old time stand up comedy sketches by Bill Cosby where when he's a kid and the boogie man comes...he's spreading jello all around him to keep the monster from getting to him...slipping on the jello? When we sat down in the theater seats, and it was dark, the first thing I tought of was Bill Cosby and his "Chicken Heart eating New York" comedy sketch. Anyway, it was a dark movie, in more ways than one. Benicio Del Toro is 'evil looking' without being the wolfman, in my opinion. I first saw him in the movie TRAFFIC I believe. This version of Wolfman, I enjoyed. FANtastic graphical morphing!! It was good. I would say "Don't pay the big theater prices".....but rent it if you're 'into' this genré!! We plan to go see the new DiCaprio movie that opens this Friday also...Shutter Island. More dark, sinister stuff. LOL And, just after my Ruby Tuesday section, there's a bit more 'dark'---------

- - -<><><>- - -

RUBY TUESDAY

I thought I'd tie Ruby Tuesday in with the above and photograph the whole collection of Bill Cosby Albums we have. All ten of them. There is quite a bit of "reds" on the covers....




And if you've never listened to Cosby's comedy routines...Here is the "Jello" incident.

PART I

PART II

- - -


Speaking of movies, as I mentioned a few posts ago that I wanted to try my hand at sketching the dark-skinned characters, I finished this last week....


I loved the movie, loved the art, loved the characters, loved the colors, loved the effects! What else can I say? My favorite was the girl...Neytiri played by Zoe Saldana. So graceful and beautiful she was. As well she should be, she studied ballet! [She played Anamaria in Pirates of the Caribbean too, by the way!] I had to see if I could draw her and Sully, together. I enjoyed the loyalty of the two that turned to love and conquering all. A good flick like this is hard to find these days!!

In several areas, she had to have minute detail. Tho sparse, some needed to be added. When I completed her and before I began on Sully's detailing, I wanted to add color this time. Just a light amount. If you look closely, you can see a shade of blue dusting on her skin, a bit of golden orange eyes and her head band...brown. And dreadlocks with brown beads and her feather neck band. Lots of work went into her. It was a challenge.

Sully did not turn out quite like I had pictured, but I guess you can tell just who he is. LOL Also, I added a bit of color to his skin and his war markings on his forehead. Golden eyes. A bit of brown on his leather and bead neck charm along with his arrow's quiver shoulder strap.














The title for my blog post? Part of the dialogue from the Colonel....
"You are not in Kansas anymore. You are on Pandora, ladies and gentlemen." [Avatar, 2009 -written by James Cameron-]






POSTED: Tuesday, February 16th, 2010
3:15 A.M.

47 comments:

  1. Good Morning Sweet Annie...
    Oh my gosh. DH wanted to go see this movie, but got side tracked, now he is glad as he will go to the Shutter Island instead. (For Valentine's Day I bought him a movie card with enough on it to see at least 12 movies. He was tickled, and he likes going to the early movies on our day off as it costs less.)

    I so love to see your hand sketching. It makes me so happy to see a true artist at work. What beautiful work you do sweetie. I love the drawing that you have shared with the 2 characters. What do you do with your drawings? Do you leave them in your sketchbook? Do you frame any of them? You do such beautiful work. Your memory for detail is so wonderful.

    I have always adored Bill Cosby, thank you for sharing these clips with me. He is one of the funniest comedians, and I have always loved his jello stories.

    Thank you for sharing sweetie, as always I so love it when you do. Have a beautiful Tuesday. Country hugs and so much love...Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, you've done another great sketch!
    I love Bill Cosby! I don't know if there is another person quite as funny as him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anni, you are very good at sketching. And yes, theres red in the Album, absolutly.

    You asked about the flower on my blog. I had to ask my man,Brian, since it is at his house in Manchester, England this flower grows.
    He said that his name of it is " Cherry Blossom" But I cant guaranti it´s correct.
    I hope you can find it out, and let me know.
    Have a great day you too/
    Ulla and Brian Sweden

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I forgot to say one thing. Your Blog-name
    reminds me of a Swedish pop-group when we were younger. They had the name Hootenanny Singers. One of there members was Björn Ulveaus, who is also one of the members in our group ABBA and who write music with Benny Andersson, also from ABBA.
    All the best/Ulla
    Ps. Oh, I just notice it is snowing right now, not much, and the sun is also trying to shine also at the same time. Ds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit I like the old Horror movies, particularly the Hammer series. Can't get enough of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to rent the movie when it comes out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post...such a fun spirit here..Happy Ruby Tuesday! Thanks for visiting me too!
    Kiki~

    ReplyDelete
  8. wolfman... mmmm, not my kinda movie. but shutter island sounds more like my speed. BUT only once it's on the dvd circuit. i cannot sit still in the movie house. i drive all those around me demented... your sketching, well that is going from strength to strength!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, great Bill Cosby collection! And I got so fascinated with your sketching. You have such a skillful hand at it.
    Btw, thanks for your kind comment. I do hope that your birthday, Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year celebration rolled into one was splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You continue to amaze me. And your blog "dressing" makes me want to stay here : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great sketch. I do a bit of this but not for some time now. We saw Avatar at the IMAX in 3-D but I don't think it was any better than at the regular movie of which we saw at Christmas.
    Thanks for coming by and happy sunshine today ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I seldom go to the movies any more, but I knew I just had to see Avatar at our local Imax. We waited for the crowds to die down a bit and went to the first showing on Saturday. LOVED everything about it!

    Seeing your sketches today of the two main characters was a real treat, thank you for that. Your description and depiction of Neytiri is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love Bill Cosby, and love your sketches! Great job. That was such an amazing movie! One I will want to see again, for sure! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So much here...I think your sketching is wonderful. I also love the old Cosby routines. You are lucky to have all those old albums. By the way, how are you liking "The White Queen"?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems like there's a lot of dark movies coming out. I want to see Shutter Island!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, I wish I had your talent! I too loved Avatar, think it should be Movie of the year! Your drawing is remarkable.
    Cosby is awesome too. I love his quote: "I brought you into this world, I can take you Out!"

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anni, incredible drawings of the Avatar characters! Loved the film! The Bill Cosby "Chicken Heart" routine was scary to my young nephew years ago. thank goodness we were there to listen with him... :) Happy Ruby Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't believe you're not seeing me on Bloglies - I wonder if others are the same, since I haven't heard from many since I went public again.

    Wonderful art work - just don't like that genre myself at all~~ Variety makes the world go 'round, eh??

    Have a great day, friend - talk to you later!

    ReplyDelete
  19. PS - I'll be coming back later to listen to the Cosby antics - love that guy, young and old.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Omigod, Anni, I've just listened to that Chicken Heart skit, can you believe I'd never heard it before? Hilarious as only Bill Cosby can be!! While on YouTube I also listened to his Dentist skit. Now that one I had heard before and I've got tears rolling down my face from laughing so much. What a trip down memory lane:-)

    I don't like going to the cinema so I usually wait until a movie comes out on dvd. I do look forward to seeing Wolfman...like you I love getting scared! lol I've always loved horror movies, the scarier the better.

    Love your drawing of those two Avatar characters, the detail is amazing. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. A hot fudge banana split?? Where's mine???? I haven't had one of those in I don't know how many years! Guess what I'm having next time I go to Dairy Queen! hehe Sounds like you had a lovely Valentine's Day...I spent my day still organizing my pictures. You should have seen my bedroom floor, pictures everywhere! lol I'm almost done, just a few more to place in order.

    I know what you mean about wanting rain but not all at once and not for days/weeks on end! lol We've been very lucky the last few weeks, nothing but sunshine and although very cold, I'm ok with that:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am waiting for that movie Shutter Island too, just by watching the thriller alone it makes me jump lol! Thanks for the visit!

    RRT: Fuji

    ReplyDelete
  23. dear hootin anni. when we were kids we used to just love bill cosby...his words were the common language among the kids..ha..who made YOU the big jello sheriff, you gunky?!
    i think that the young ones today are missing out a whole lot of fun!

    you are such a great artist! it is a gift from god and i am so glad that you are sharing it with your readers.
    thanks for your visit..i have missed you.

    your header is so beautiful...southern ontario has tons of sea gulls because we are surrounded by lakes, lake ontario, and lake erie.
    have you ever listened to the record, "jonathan livingston seagull"?..it is quite good.
    well catch you later anni...love terry

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for your review of Wolfman, we want to see Shutter Island as well this weekend. Like that dark stuff too. Love your drawing talent love it. My post is at the Cafe, a poem which is a bit dark.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy Ruby Tuesday. I love Cosby.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I haven't been to a show in ages. So I rarely if ever pay theater prices :) Love the RT. Bill Cosby is a hoot. I love your drawings as usual :) Very nice my friend. Have a great Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. We love Bill Cosby ~ great shots! And amazing Avatar sketches!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. He is one of my husband's favorite. Happy RT!

    My entries:
    Moms... Check Nyo
    Yummy-as-can-be

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great collection! Happy Ruby Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  30. i love the layout what a beautiful blog background. you are such a talented artist, and yes zoe saldana is just a graceful as her mother.

    ReplyDelete
  31. We love Bill Cosby too. That's a great collection you have.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love scary movies too. I brought my children up on them. LOL My favorites though are from the 80's

    ReplyDelete
  33. scary movies are not for me but your sketches are kinda cool, doesn't scare me away. :) thanks for the visit on my lantern post Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  34. awww you still have an Avatar fever! cant blame it is really a great movie! :) cool! you got talent Anni!

    u may view mine here

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love that movie too, very unique. I cant erase on my mind the line the girl said..."You Sould Not Be Here", very awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  36. You are very gifted!
    I wish I could sketch. Can you sit and do a subject?
    I like some mystery type movies but nothing bloody or too deeply horror. I haven't noticed how this one is rated.
    I want to see the new Alice in Wonderland. I believe it has your favorite in it.
    Hugs,
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  37. I just loved the Chicken Heart. You sure did bring back the memories today.



    My HoT: For Medicinal Purposes

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for the visit. Very dramatic pictures! The light or dark post is very dark. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Wonderful post with lots of information, and the drawings are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love Bill Cosby (even though the rest of the movies kind of scared me lol) Happy Ruby Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  41. Oh Annie! You are such an intriguing person. I say that in the most complimentary way.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Very cool sketches, Anni. I didn't see the movie but I recognized the characters' faces from an ad.

    I like Bill Cosby's old stuff..ah, the 60s.

    ReplyDelete
  43. You did good with those Cosby jackets. I don't have any of his, he was after my record listening days. I have Janis Joplin and early Bob Dylan, etc.

    You also did good with the drawing. I looked at some drawing books today in our Hobby Lobby.
    Happy RT! Thank you for your visit and for the nice comment.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  44. Your art is so awesome my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks for your description of this film at least now I know what I don't want to see, lol !
    I only know Cosby from this family series, I don't remember the name. I think it was Cosby Show ?

    ReplyDelete
  46. Don't watch scary movies but I love Bill Cosby! The sketches are really good!

    ReplyDelete

.