“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






...for the love of literature


Click either button to Join


THURSDAY THUNKS

1. Who is the craziest person in your family? I've been told that it's just a short drive from here to the looney bin...must be me then!!!

2. If you could make turtle shells any color you wanted, what color would turtles be? The shell would have to be hard surfaced, so I'd say it'd be made from turquoise...the stone & the color!!! Besides, brown and turquoise are complimentary to each other.

3. How fast do hotcakes sell? They'd only sell....after my warm from the oven cookies are sold out.

4. Can cannibals be arrested for being under the influence of alcohol if they have eaten someone who was drunk? Depends...if you're crossing the border and have black hair, and look suspicious...ya, probably.

5. If I had my legs amputated, would I have to change my height and weight on my driver's license? Yes....and do make sure you get a disabled sticker for your License Plates!! And a special equipped vehicle to drive. Otherwise, please, stay away from being behind the wheel!!

6. Where do people in Hell tell other people to go? They'd say to the newbies: "Go two doors down from here turn to your right, and then make a direct left ----it's my mother in law's room!! She'll singe the hair off your body quicker than you can say: "Where the hell am I"?

7. Do you make stupid little baby noises when talking to your pets? No....but I have been known to lie to 'em. After one pukes up grass I say "Poor thing"...when I really mean "You puke, you clean it up"!!

8. Is the light on in the room? The sun's light as I type this up early on Wednesday afternoon, yes.

9. Did the voice tell you that the light is on in the room? Oh my goodness, this is freaky now. #7 --one pet cat meowed and the other howled in here just as I finished typing the word 'light' in #8.

10. If you were to name an alcoholic drink, what would it be called? 19th Hole!!!
    It's a golfer's delight at the clubhouse---and I'm not giving out my trade secret concoction. The sign I made up is "Specialty of the House Today --19th Hole. Drink it...you'll feel like you've scored a hole in one for the last 18 - above par---guaranteed no pits added."


- - -<><><>- - -


THURSDAY 13

Some of my favorite quotes, that I've oftentimes recited in everyday living, from literature... [oops...how did that one movie quote get in here? LOL]


1] 'The world has held great Heroes,
As history books have showed;
But never a name to go down to fame
Compared with that of Toad!'
- Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows, Ch. 10


2] 'It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way--'
- Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities, Book 1, Chapter 1


3] 'For never was a story of more woe
than this of Juliet and her Romeo.'
- William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, 5.3



4] 'Evening of a hot day started the little wind to moving among the leaves. The shade climbed up the hills toward the top. On the sand banks the rabbits sat as quietly as little gray, sculptured stones.'
- John Steinbeck, Of Mice and Men, Ch. 1




5] "Listen," said she; "I yield to your protestations, I yield to your assurances. But I swear to you, before God who hears us, that if you betray me, and my enemies pardon me, I will kill myself, while accusing you of my death."
- Alexandre Dumas, The Three Musketeers, Ch. 18


6] *favorite movie quote -in bold font- from "The Three Musketeers":
    Cardinal Richelieu: A word of caution, milady. A snap of my fingers, and you could be back on the block where I found you.
    Milady: And with a flick of my wrist, I could change your religion. [she, holding a knife---yummy scene!]
    Cardinal Richelieu: You're very persuasive.

7] ' "Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door Only this, and nothing more."
-Edgar Allan Poe, The Raven
(I tend to say this in whispered decibels as I peek out my security window on the front door after the doorbell rings, unexpectedly)




8] 'He had a heart that could have held the empire of the world; and, in the end, he had to content himself with a cellar'.
- Gaston Leroux, Phantom of the Opera [epilogue] (I loved this classical work so much, I named my son Erik!!!)


9] 'As God is my witness, as God is my witness they're not going to lick me. I'm going to live through this and when it's all over, I'll never be hungry again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again'. (I always had the feeling she was lacking sanity at times while reading this book over and over, but then, realizing the girl was only 16 when war broke out...and living through the turmoil and loss...she probably had the right to be greedy and a bit selfish, don't you think?)
- Margaret Mitchell, Gone With the Wind, Ch. 25

10] "I am strong against everything, except against the death of those I love. He who dies gains; he who sees others die loses."
- Alexandre Dumas, Man in the Iron Mask [photo, see #5]


11] 'The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it'.
- Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged, Ch. 7




12] 'It was not necessary to wonder about the reasons. It was necessary only to hate, to hate blindly, to hate patiently, to hate without anger, only to hate and let nothing intervene, and not let oneself forget, ever.'
- Ayn Rand, The Fountainhead [photo #11]


13] 'No matter how dreary and gray our homes are, we people of flesh and blood would rather live there than in any other country, be it ever so beautiful. There is no place like home.'
- L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of OZ











POSTED: Thursday, February 25th, 2010
12:20 A.M.



40 comments :

  1. I love you and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH yeah? So your cookies are good huh? hmmmm Where can I get a sample LOL. Love the 19th Hole name. That would be awesome. Great 13 as well :) I love 11 :) Have a great Thursday :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so sharp this morning! loved your answers today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there Anni!

    Loved your Thursday Thunks answers! Funny! Very interesting T13 too. I've mentioned A Tale of Two Cities in my T13 :)

    You can read it here!

    Have a great Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1] 'The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it'.
    - Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged, Ch. 7


    Annie thank you for bringing my world back to the literary. In my position as a mental health therapist , I hear about most of the evil in the world. So this quote from Ayn Rand, hit home to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anni,
    I love quotes. Number 9 is my favorite and that's probably because "Gone with the Wind" is a book I've read many, many times. Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning Sweet Annie...
    Ahh Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities...One of my favorites, somehow I should have known you would love it too. So connected.

    Ohh sweetie, I so love your #6, about where do people in hell tell people to go. I will be laughing about that one all day. I am off to work for the day.

    Have a beautiful day sweetie, and know that you are so loved. Country hugs and much love...Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweetie, I want to change the header on my blog free to be me. how do I remove the one you put on there?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you please send me your email address

    ReplyDelete
  10. You cracked me up with the answer about sending people in hell to the MIL's room! Great answer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Verrrrry interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. so? your MIL is a devil huh. poor you! and i just love your turtle!!!

    stay well, stay warm, stay safe, and defintely stay happy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love Quote #9 too, of course!.. And I wish I could try this concoction called the 19th hole! (0; You sure you won't share the recipe SOMEDAY, maybe? ~tina

    ReplyDelete
  14. weheeh you always came up with funny answers! interesting alcohol name! thanks for the visit anni!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Reading your TT I realized that I had forgotten a lot of authors ! I read them in my youth, now I read more lighter stuff. (for the moment a serial killer, I arrived at the 24th victim, will there be a 25th ? )

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gattina You're reading 'lighter' stuff now? Serial killers are a light subject?!?!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A box opf warm from the oven cookies, please. ;) You are too much!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love it! Thanks for the smile, and food for thought on a snowy Thursday in Chicagoland!
    Love your blog!
    I posted today too
    http://retro-girl66.blogspot.com/2010/02/thursday-13-tried-true-beauty-faves.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've got some smart kitty's :)

    Loved your quotes too.

    http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/02/why-god-made-moms-and-other-thunks/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great list of quotes from the greats.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very interesting as always.
    I do agree with that last one there is no place like home.
    thanks for sharing your wisdom.
    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  22. I bet it was gloruious to bring them out again and share some of my favs too..sandy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I always love these little snippets - if only I could be so brief in my Thirteens! LOL!

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You've made a drink for real. Very cool! Ack! Cat puke. They should clean it up themselves. A dog does. They just eat it again.

    ReplyDelete
  25. With love's light wings did I o'er-perch these walls;
    For stony limits cannot hold love out,

    R&J
    My fave Shakespeare quote.

    And, just for fun:

    "Nothing is forgotten. Nothing is ever forgotten."
    - Robin of Sherwood.

    Great quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yum, homemade cookies. That's a great list of quotes for your 13. ~ Calico Contemplations

    ReplyDelete
  27. I laughed out loud reading your THURSDAY THUNKS. Girl, you have one crazy sense of humor...and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Some great quotes there. Dickens has always swept me away with the beauty of his words. I started reading Oliver Twist to Calico, when she was in grade school. I wasn't sure how it would go, but she loved it and we looked forward to a new chapter each evening.

    My T13: Regrets

    ReplyDelete
  29. great list! thanks for stopping by my blog

    ReplyDelete
  30. I loved all of your answers to the questions. The light question was freaky.

    Milady: And with a flick of my wrist, I could change your religion. - one of the best lines ever.

    RnPB Chapter 012

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great choice!

    Loved this
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Some great quotes there.

    ReplyDelete
  33. ROFL on #6!!! lol Oh, Anni, you're so much fun, honestly you are!! I actually laughed out loud at quite a few of your answers, too funny.

    Enjoyed reading your favourite quotes. One of mine that I use often comes from the movie All About Eve starring Bette Davis....

    "Hold on to your hats, it's going to be a bumpy night." xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anni, your love of literature shines through in this post. I love your #5 in Thursday Thunks and I agree totally. The quotes are all great ones. Thanks for an excellent read.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love the Wind in the Willows. Long Live Toad!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Loved them!
    I am going to go looking for my favorite 13 literary quotes :) thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Annie, your a Hoot!!! Love your answers *giggle*.

    Blessings,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  38. Love the pics with the quotes. Fun post.
    Happy T13!

    ReplyDelete

.