my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out





I find a lot of barnacles washed ashore ---this is a photo of one...the Titan Acorn Barnacle. Trust me...this is NOT what you initially find! This one in the photo is AFTER I brought it home and cleaned it up with the garden hose and a toothbrush [and no, I didn't put it back to reuse, brushing my teeth with it. -insert wink-]...I then soaked it in soapy water mixed with Clorox™. Mostly, the 'scientist' in me would like to know how the 'shell crusting' is built...the barnacle is more amoeba-like if I understand what I've been reading on the subject. Between amoeba and jellyfish in body; while young. I would like it a lot if National Geographic would give us something to watch from the larva stage up to becoming adult....In the story, Mutiny on the Bounty, there was a 'torture' sequence ---keelhauling! A seaman is keelhauled as punishment for punching the Captain. Keelhauling (Dutch kielhalen[1]; "to drag along the keel") was a severe form of corporal punishment meted out to sailors at sea. The sailor was tied to a rope that looped beneath the vessel, thrown overboard on one side of the ship, and dragged under the ship's keel to the other side. As the hull was often covered in barnacles and other marine growth, this could result in cuts and other injuries. Keelhauling was legally permitted as a punishment in the Dutch Navy. The earliest official mention of keelhauling is a Dutch ordinance of 1560, and the practice was not formally abolished until 1853. While not an official punishment, it was reportedly used by some British Royal Navy and merchant marine captains, and has become strongly associated with pirate lore.



- - -<><><>- - -

BOOK REVIEW

I finally finished the latest release of Dan' Brown's book, "The Lost Symbol". It WAS a thriller. But thing is for me, with his style of writing, you really have to be an avid fan to sit down and read this new tale. My excitement for the 'page turner' waned all too quickly. Tho, I must say, I enjoyed it a great deal, yet it was nearly indistinguishable from previous books of Brown. The same as with Da Vinci Code, the same as Angels and Demons. We have...... cryptic symbols, Robert Langdon solves the mystery..... secondary characters give us a break in the mundane search..... the adventure takes us to a large, popular city..... there are famous landmarks.... thrill seeking chases.... extremely short chapters throughout, present the reader with cliffhangers from one page to the next. Etc. etc. etc. As with any other hack writer like Louis L'Amour, John Grisham, Larry McMurtry....the stories may perhaps have a little twist yet all are so redundant. I must admit, I was thoroughly hooked on the book at the beginning. Reason is, it takes place in a very familiar area of our own country. I, from the middle of the book to the end, surmised where everything was 'hidden' just by Brown's descriptive words, and having the opportunity to go where not too many people can say they've been---staircase. If you have read the book, you'll know what I mean. Also early on, I figured out the villain, Mal'akh, and his true identity---it was just all too obvious to me! Hence, my reading pleasure dwindled. It took longer to get through this book than I anticipated. Not to mention the Epilogue...just what the heck? I feel the book ended. The Epilogue wasn't much of a 'tie-in' ending. Oh it'll look good when the movie comes out....by the way, I couldn't help myself picturing Tom Hanks as Langdon in this ----if he plays the character again...I hope he's in good shape. roflmao All in all, a good book, tho 'Xeroxed' from his other published works... So in a way, not too much difference. If you've read one, you've read 'em all....names and cities only have changed. The mysteries and thrills are unchanging. Well, let me back up....the thrills even came to tweeting on Twitter this time! Gimme a break! I have envisioned Mr. Langdon as a brainchild....a genius....TWEETING? Perhaps Dan Brown added that to 'modernize' the scenario of the night? For me it was just another spoiler to the action thriller. I'd have to grade this work with a B minus. Good, but nothing really new in terms of writing style.







POSTED: Tuesday, November 17th, 2009
5:30 A.M.

[keelhauling as defined by Wikipedia]

45 comments :

  1. it is a beautiful "shell???" What are you going to do with it? It would look pretty displayed in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting facts about barnacles and keeling. I have not yet read any of Dan Brown's books. I hate to read books which are surrounded by a lot of hype.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, it looks like a piece of art! Nice work cleaning it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Barnade is beautiful and the information so fascinating.

    Dan Brown has taken conspiracy theories to the masses. I have a hard time reading his books because he just throws in all kinds of information that is patently wrong. I can't get past things like that. And I agree. His books are pretty much the same.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Extremely interesting Ruby Tuesday photo. I don't believe I have ever seen a barnade. But then, I only get to the beach about once every 20 years or so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning Anni, I have never seen anything like this wash up on our beach... very unusual and thanks for the story behind your find...wishing you a fun day.

    I decorated my house for Christmas early, because my little grands are coming here on Friday. We always go to their house for Christmas and they never see my Christmas stuff!!
    Hugs, Baba

    ReplyDelete
  7. A shell? Hmm I think I have seen some of that kind in the Philippines I am not that too sure though. But that looks very interesting to me. I like to plant plants in that shell I bet it does looks good with green inside the holes. Just imagining ^_^

    Mine is here My Life’s Journey in Focus

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh what a horrible punishment hootin' anni..
    oh the agony of it!
    this barnacle makes for an interesting ruby tuesday picture though!
    thanks for your visit.
    yes that was a sweet couple that we met on tuesday.
    when i finish the pictures of them i will post the results on my blog...i just love elderly people and i had better i guess because bernie and i are both 60 now and i guess WE are elderly!....happy ruby tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ouch, keelhauling makes me glad that i'm not a pirate... that can't be very pleasant!

    i finished the lost symbol a few days ago, because like you said, i wanted to know what would happen. i did start skimming though, because it felt too long and detailed at times. and i did have that all too familiar feel of his other books. and unwittingly you've brought to the fore why i don't like watching the movie and then reading the book. my mind was full of tom hanks, although when i read the da vinci code the first time before the movie was made, robert langdon was a tall dark and dashing man in my mind, and now he's just tom hanks...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my word, that is HUGE! I've never seen a barnacle that size! Yikes. Ouch is right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a unique looking barnacle!
    I haven't sit down yet to read my Lost Symbol,hopefully this week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your barnacle is a beauty. I have vague memories of my brother stepping on a barnacle as a child and perhaps needing stitches. Not a fun memory.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Morning Annie..
    I love my history lesson this morning on the titan acorn barnacle. How interesting. It could resemble an acorn somewhat in shape. The colors are just exquisite. How fortunate to be able to go and comb the beach each morning for wonderful finds. That would be my ideal retirement.

    I went to training in Huntington Beach last year, and every morning for that week while I was there, I would go out at 5:30am as soon as the beach opened, and walk the shore for shells and other wonderful treasures. I saw so many wonderful people out there, and actually got to meet a couple. Was so much fun. I envy you Annie being able to do that. I love the smell of the air, and the mist on my face. I loved walking barefoot in the surf, and listening to the seagulls cry to the ocean. How beautiful it was.

    Thank you for sharing this morning, and bringing back a beautiful memory from my shelf of books. Have a beautiful day sweet Annie.
    Country hugs, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nature makes some of the best reds!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That barnacle is so neat! I've heard of them but never actually saw one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Neat photo of the barnacle and thanks for the story!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like this. I wonder if one could make a fountain out of it. That is what it reminds me of.
    Mama Bear

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anni
    What a great history lesson today. That is a beautiful Barnacle. Thanks for all the info that your post with it.
    I also want to thank you for finding the red wave post. It will make it easier to explain to hubby what I was talking about.
    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing your very rare collection. Haven't seen any barnacle. I now imagine how painful it is to be punished with that sharp object. and load of thanks for being the first commenter in my first Ruby Tuesday entry.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are just amazing. Not only do you find this stuff, and put a lot of love into making them better, but you even know their names!! How big is that thing? It's certainly gorgeous. No wonder SpongeBob likes it down there. : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anni,

    The barnacle is awesome. I was going to ask you how big it was, then clicked on your link and there it told it can grow to an impressive two inches.

    I learned something from you again today, as I had never heard of keelhauling. That sounds like quite a punishment.

    This doesn't sound like a book that would interest me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it.

    Have a great day and try to keep warm. It's nippy here today.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your barnacle image is interesting and beautiful. I had not heard of keelhauling before, but it sure sounds painful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mary That site must have had a typo! The 2 should probably be 20 instead!! Mine, here in the photo, is LARGE!!!

    Here's a link that states they can grow up to 30 inches!!

    http://qanda.encyclopedia.com/question/do-barnacles-look-like-81030.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's beautiful!! that...shell?

    ReplyDelete
  25. I loved your review of the book. I have never before seen a barnade. Cleaned up it is most attractive. Came to visit Anni for breakfast and left learning something I hadn't known before. That's a great way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm back home, but it's gonna take me some time to get my head back in gear! Hopefully today I'll get at least the first post done about our trip to Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I finished this book not too long a go. I agree it was a cookie cutter, but I did learn a lot of new things as I did extra research on Mason's. And I did enjoy the setting. I thought Langdon's character was a bit of a sleeper in this one. But unlike you I didn't see the twist with the villain--and I thought he was Brown's best villain yet. I enjoyed the book.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great Red Barnacle ! That sounds like something a pirate would say , maybe I should have added Matey . I have read about keelhauling before,sounds very unpleasant .
    Happy ruby Tuesday!
    ~Myrna

    ReplyDelete
  29. Did you use colgate or crest on it? LOL. It's wonderful. I'll be anxious to see what you do with this :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. awww i only heard the barnacle from spongebob hehe thanks for sharing this! thats one lovely barnacle :)

    u may view mine if u have time

    ReplyDelete
  31. I haven't gotten around to reading Brown's new book yet.

    Loved the information you shared in the Ruby Tuesday post!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yikes, I sure would want to be keelhauled...a person could get hurt that way! LOL So many of the punishments meted out in those days were so uncivilized!!! I'm glad you were able to clean up that barnacle for us to see what it looks like, it's so fascinating. I bet you see so many things living by the sea that I will never see in my life! So...that's why we have blogs and you can show me these things. hehe xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  33. ACK! I meant to say "sure WOULDN'T want" to be keelhauled! lol

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh wow...it is so beautiful..that in the first photo can be an excellent decoration in the garden-excellent find for rt

    mine is here

    ReplyDelete
  35. We are always finding those barnacles after rough seas. Its interesting what you find in or attached to them too! I draw the line and bringing them home however, they tend to be a bit smelly at the best of times! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I never knew that about keelhauling. Sounds horrible. I guess that's what it took to keep those sailors in line, tho. Very interesting post, since I live smack dab in the center of the continental US. No seas near me. What are you going to do with your new treasure?

    ReplyDelete
  37. Interesting post....I just finished Lost Symbols also. It is the first I have read by him, and it was fairly good. Just don't know that I will want to read any more.

    ReplyDelete
  38. A completely unusual specimen, Anni! But very interesting! Thanks for playing Ruby Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Thanks for the book review.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Really interesting photo.

    ReplyDelete
  41. That is so funny and amazing and awful, all at once!
    Funny that you should write about pirate-lore when my children have recently gone through a period of pirate-play and talked me into letting them see "Pirates of the Carribean" dispite my apprehensions that it was too violent for their age. (Erik was Captain Jack Sparrow for Halloween!)

    Amazing that you found this huge barnecle. Next time, please take a picture with a size-reference, like your hand or a match-box. I don't know how big it is.

    And awful, too, when I think of all of those poor souls who underwent capital punishment by "keel-hauling".

    Great post!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  42. a bit of red in both shots

    I always wondered exactly what a barnacle was and what it looked like

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Anni! I really like your new header for thanksgiving :0)
    That barnacle is amazing. Have a good week!!

    ReplyDelete
  44. This barnacle looks very nice after the cleaning job. Now it is fit to sit at a display shelf. This process is like discovering a beautiful young lady from the slums and making her the next supermodel on the catwalk.

    ReplyDelete

.