“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes






Sunday, May 17th, 2009
5:30 A.M.




What's this I heard last night? Was it thunder? Why....yes, it was? Then....oh my oh my....it RAINED!!! We finally got some much needed rain. I heard the grass and the flowers just sucking it all up. It rained!!! Oh happy day!!!! Promising the end of our record breaking drought.

Hope we get more today, too. And the next day and the next, even if it does keep us from finishing the house painting. Well, maybe not. If we could finish [we probably can get it done in two days if we stuck to it for more than 3 hours a day...then, bring on the rain!!!!]




Join Here

Sunday Stealing: The 29'er Meme

1. What bill do you hate paying the most? Truthfully, T!ME WARNER CABLE...it's not worth the money. But, in all, it's still the best cable company in town.

2. Where was the last place you had a romantic dinner? We don't do romantic dinners any more. So, I guess at home, when we have candle light on the table.

3. How many colleges did you attend? One...CSU, but, I was a real early drop-out. I married instead.

4. Why did you choose the shirt that you have on right now? Comfortable, cool...sleeveless. I call it my "Million Dollar Baby" shirt, since it has boxing gloves logo on it.


5. First thought when the alarm went off this morning? I don't DO alarm clocks!!! It's called R E T I R E D!

6. Last thought before going to sleep last night? "That rain sounds so good!!!"

7. What do you miss [sic: about] being a child? The whole spiel! Everything about childhood, for me, was great. Of course my life isn't bad now either.

8. What errand/chore do you despise? This is easy...I abhor balancing the 'checkbook'.

9. Have you found real love yet? I should hope so!-after 41 years of a great marriage.......this is obviously a question for the younger generations.

10. What do you get every time you go into Wal-Mart?
A headache. [IOW--odd question]

11. Do you think marriage is an outdated ritual? Never!!!

12. What famous person would you like to have dinner with? A dream of mine....dinner at the White House...no matter WHO's in office.

13. Ever had to use a fire extinguisher for its intended purpose? Nope. And that, my friend, I will tell the jury. It was found by the body when I got home!! [insert giggles]

14. Somewhere in California you've never been and would like to go? Shopping on Rodeo Drive

15. At this point in your life would you rather start a new career or a new relationship? Neither. Retired. Life is too good right now.

16. Do you have a “go to” person? HUH? I think I'm way too independent for that.

17. Are you where you want to be in life? Yes indeedy! [see #s 3, 9, 11 & 15]

18. Over the years, what about you do you think has changed the most? The depth of wrinkles, and lack of skin elasticity, and hair color, and muscle strength...age has a way with creepin' up on ya!!!

19. Looking back at high school were they the best years of your life? Ummmmmm, I can't remember two weeks ago sometimes...nor what I went into the kitchen for just a few minutes ago, you expect me to remember high school? Well, ya, I did meet a wonderful guy...tho not my husband, but he was my guy. Lost him over in Viet Nam!!!

20. Are there times you still feel like a kid? Ha!!! Are you kiddin' me? There is a kid in me a lot!! And I'm not ashamed of it. I just like having fun. Why, ask me what I do when I see a puddle of water? Ya, go on....you can figure that out, right?

21. Where was the hang out spot when you were a teenager? There was a clubhouse in the city where we had lots o' dances. A&W Root Beer drive-ins were the hot spots too.


22. Who do you think impacted your life the most? My parents. I watched, I learned.

23. Was there a teacher or authority figure that stood out for you? My favorite teachers, Mrs. Sanderson [English Lit], Mr. Webb [a hunk!!], and Mr. Williams!! In the order appearing, she was a great teacher that taught me a lot about Shakespeare, ummmmm, the 'hunk' was just that, I loved Biology! But, that leaves Mr. Williams. He too was an English Teacher!! And I 'loved' him. No, not a school girl crush either. Just an all around great teacher. A disciplinarian and had a great way of doing his curriculum....I liked his style. [He was a retired Army Officer] Don't ask me about after school and my paper airplanes in his classroom either!!!

24. Do you tell stories that start with “when I was your age”? Nope.

25. What is the scariest thing that has happened to you as an adult? Being with my father when he had his first heart attack! And I drove him to the hospital. [No ambulance service in the mountains back then....and no cellphones!]

26. What advice would you give to someone about to get married?
Don't be selfish and want, want, want....be willing to GIVE!!

27. What advice would you give someone starting their first job? You'll feel a lot better once you've robbed a couple of banks!!! [what kinda job?]

28. If you could go back and change one thing you did, what would it be? Here again, life is what you make it...I'm happy.

29. If you could go back and change one thing someone else did, what would it be? I wish sometimes our daughter wouldn't have taken the path she did marrying the man she did...but, that too was a learning experience for us all. And she is now divorced from it, no more physical abuse from him. And I say 'it' with the full intentions.


34 comments :

  1. Love your answers!
    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hootin Annie.
    I'd love to join you on Rodeo Drive :)
    Love the shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could hear the grass slurping down the rain here also. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. no 26 rocks! i forgot to do that this morning, mmmmmm.

    and believe it or not, we had rain too. and darn it, we're not supposed to.... so today we have the whole 9 yards: wind, grey clouds, ice cold wind blowing leaves around, brrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved #18! Great answers. Have a wonderful Sunday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like your answer to no. 10. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been shopping on Rodeo Drive though next time I'd like to go with some money in my purse. Have a great day, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Friend.. Interesting post.. Keep up the good work.. Will drop by your blog often.. Do find time to visit my blog.. Keep in touch.. Take care.. Cheers mate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a sweet day when we don't do alarm clocks anymore

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, it's really sad to see your daughter being hurt by other people when you tried your best to protect her while she's still growing up. Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love your #2. it might not be only us and our other half anymore, but still having candle light dinner with family is considered warm for me.

    ... and i love A&W too !

    cheers,
    nina

    ReplyDelete
  12. 41 years. Congratulations. Have a wonderful Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  13. love your sunday stealing :D
    and yes that retired statement about the alarm just had me lol-ing :)
    wish i had tht!

    and number 29 was truly moving!
    bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved the image of you dancing in the rain!!! Must feel lovely, to end a drought of the proportions you say you are having. Occasionally when we have a 'few days' of drought ( LOL ) we too are glad to see the rain back.
    Loved your answers in the Meme!!!

    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know I totally get the "it" reference! I had to chuckle, though it's not really funny, is it??

    I love your answers - your personality just shines through.

    I am so thankful you're getting rain - it is such a wonderful sound on a very dry roof!

    We checked out Rodeo Drive when we were out there one time - oh, my word. I felt like an absolute slug that day - shoulda dressed up a bit! The shorts and sandals of the touristy thing were pretty tacky.

    ReplyDelete
  16. If I could I would ship all our rain over to you then you wouldn't dance anymore !
    For me schooltime was the most horrible time in my life. From 6 to 19 !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Anni, Us too we got that wonderful rain over here on the West coast of Florida and it was a wonderful event... It has rained for 3 straight afternoons... It was needed badly. Loved all your answers they were GREAT! Have a fun filled day...

    (((HUGS)))
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your no. 9 is an inspiration. My father was felled by a coronary. I wasn't around when he was rushed to the hospital but I can imagine the fright. And oh, I love the dancing granny :-)

    There is something over at my blog - Super Comments Award which I'm passing on to you. Someone may have beat me to it already, but I mentioned you there anyway because I appreciate your visits and comments on my posts.

    http://delineatingdes.blogspot.com/2009/05/super-comments-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anni,

    Yahoo, for the rain. I know how much your area has needed it.

    Your answers to the questions were brilliant. We also hung out at the A&W and a place very similar called the Pow Wow. It had a Native American theme and was a drive-in. Great food and reasonably priced. I sure miss it.

    Enjoyed my visit. Wishing you and Bud a terrific Sunday.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stopping by to check out your meme. Love the Erma Bombeck quote.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enjoyed your answers! Have a happy Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I shopped once on Rodeo Drive...could afford anything they had...have a great Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love listening to the rain, too. Great job. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How wonderful that you're getting that much needed rain. Please send it to CA next!
    I enjoyed your answers to your meme,
    although we still enjoy romantic dinners even after almost 42 yrs!
    Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i loved #20 on the "Sunday" thing -I'm still a kid at heart alot! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ohhhh I'm GLAD you finally got some RAIN! That is great! I know how wonderful it felt/smelled/sounded! Been there! YAY!

    I stole that meme from Thom this morning! You and I have some similar answers... and some WAY different answers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I HAVE to ask about the paper airplanes! lol

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great Sunday Stealing. I love the shirt name. I did see that movie and even could stay awake through it. Love the answers. Happy Sunday Stealing :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just love your #4 shirt!! wish i can have one here:)

    ReplyDelete
  30. ahhh the cable bill. I hate our Comcast cable company and they're the only ones in the area so they can just do about anything they want, blah!
    Happy sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think the answers involving your husband (incl. the candlelight at home) were very romantic, esp. after 41 years!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your answers to the Meme, Anni. We're quite alike in a lot of ways (not sure whether that's a good or a bad thing...lol). As for indulgence, yep, it's chocolate for me too, preferably Maltesers, those yummy little malt balls covered in chocolate...oooh, my mouth's watering...

    ReplyDelete
  33. I always enjoy learning more about you and am glad to have landed on this post as I was checking Google Reader. Wish WE'd get some of that rain. I'd be dancing for joy too ;--)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete

.