my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Sunday, April 5th, 2009
5:22 A.M.


Sunday Meme, a new Blog Tip, and an award today...



Join Here



1. How did you come up with your blog title OR what does it mean?
My Name and then did a twist, a play on words, and came up with hootenanny [which means: "An informal performance, typically with participation by the audience".] Changing it to Hootin' Anni's.
2. What are your general goals for blogging?
Enjoy sharing, speaking to myself and friends...like a diary, toying with memes, taking photos, memories of times past, commenting on politics and books...etc. etc. etc.
3. Do people “in your real life” know that you blog and do they comment on your blog OR is it largely anonymous? How often do you post (x per week)?
I post daily. For many months now. Yes, family knows I blog...but they don't leave comments, they email me 'cause the have my ISP email addy or my phone #.
4. How often do you read other blogs (x per week)?
I do memes and try and comment with the others...that's the whole purpose I think when it comes down to blog memes. Then, I have a list on my sidebar of 'Friends' ...I will visit them when I can find time, or if someone comments on my entries, I try to reciprocate. I don't always because of time, but I try.
5. How do you select blogs to read (do you prefer blogs that focus on certain topics or do you choose by tone or…?)
If it's friends, I read. I've also been known to go out and read the political views of others on CNN's Cafferty Blog. He always posts some doozers!! And the comments are very interesting. Interesting in no particular way, just like to read others' views.
6. Do you have any plans to copy your blog entries in any other format, 0r do you think that one day, you’ll just delete it all?
No, I have no plans. And I won't delete it. If I ever get a great idea for another blog, this one will remain...just start a new blog under another name/address!
7. What are the things you like best about blogging?
Keeping my mind busy every day. Photos and thoughts of life in general.
8. What are the things you don’t like about blogging?
Really, nothing I dislike that I can think of right now.
9. How do you handle comments?
What does this mean? Handle? Ummmmm, comments are not inanimate objects! If this pertains to if I ignore them or read them...I read them. It's great reading opinions. I have my comments checked with "allow ALL readers" to comment, and I relish the input. Also, I try to respond sometimes on my own comment form, and then, I will copy and paste the response and post it on their blog comment.
10. Do you have any burning thoughts to share on blog etiquette?
It's more a peeve on commenting forms. Let me put it this way, as kindly as I can. I question the whole purpose of word verifications! I mean, really, each blogger has control of the comments for their personal blog...to have the comment verification enabled it's so redundant...and takes your visitor's time to go through all the motions of all the extra steps in order to get their comment posted to your blog. DISABLE it. Instead, the blog owner have comments posted on APPROVAL only & no verification word!!! If you get spammed, so be it. Just delete it and move on. Why have your visitors taxed so with having THEM go through extra motions, when it's YOUR blog, not theirs? It's a form of laziness, I think, on the blog owner's part. They would prefer the visitors to go through extra steps instead of being the responsible blog owner; being more of a good host/hostess & doing the work themselves!! Not to mention the aggravation of trying to READ the spam protective word sometimes...I just leave if I don't get the word right the 1st time! It's too frustrating.
11. Any desired blog features?
I would like to see several things in the future with Blogger. But, I won't name them here. Someday I may blog a whole post on ideas and desires of improvements.
12. Have you suffered blog addiction? Hello, My name is Anni, and I'm a Blogaholic! [does that give you an answer?]




COMMENT HERE
if you'd like to skip the Blog Tip & viewing my newest award below






<><><>


If you're anything like me, the labels list for Blogger is a fine attribute. But there has always been the list itself, and then Blogger counts them. For instance, say you Label for the post "Family"....and you do it for several other posts....Blogger will then show the count in your list under Family (12) which means you have 12 posts labeled "Family". And, I for one, think it looks tacky. So I did a little tweaking in the layout editing and took out the count tag.





Here's what you do:

At the Expand Widget Templates, when it's opened fully from having the box checked...BACK UP YOUR HTML & SAVE!!! TO NOTEPAD OR A DOCUMENT FILE, BEFORE YOU BEGIN!






IMAGE CAN BE ENLARGED









Open your blog...edit...make sure the "Expand Widget Templates" is checked.
Use your CTRL/F keys at the same time. You will then have a small search bar show up. Type in this, exactly as I have it here within the box below:
Your browser will highlight that in your Bloggers' Template Editing mode. Cut it out --by highlighting it and deleting. Save your template...re-open your blog...check the Label List...there should no longer be any numbers behind the title/labels list.


RESULT:
[less cluttered looking list!]




<><><>


"This award acknowledges the values that every blogger shows in his or her effort to transmit cultural, ethical, literary, and personal values every day."

I received it from the wonderful, talented, Shadow. I honestly say she is much more deserving of the award than I am. But, I'm grateful that she considered me a recipient. Your gesture and kindness, Shadow, are much appreciated. If you haven't visited her blog before, this is a good time to do so. You won't be disappointed, I promise!!

Thank you Shadow!

30 comments :

  1. Good answers, Anni, especially on the word verification.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting thoughts on 10. I was never bothered by it but you are right about it, when you come to think of it. But you have to be grateful that at least on Bloger you can read the darn letters. On other sites I can't even decipher the code and have to enter it umpteen times before I get it right. Thanks for visiting! Happy Sunday to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with you on the verification thing. there are times that i have to input the words a couple of times. and its really eating up much of my time.

    and i'm glad for this meme, i now know why its hootin' anni.

    thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also, am addicted to blogging.
    My name is Annie, and I'm a Blogaholic! I think that is cute.
    Blessings,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your #10 answer made me think...do I have word verification on my blog? I hope not, now I have to go check that out because it kind of bothers me too when I have to do it on other blogs. Thanks for pointing that out, lol.

    Also, I love the color scheme on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some very insightful answers =] I enjoyed reading this. Also, thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your responses!!

    I think your ideas about the word verification are very valid and perhaps you've converted this blogger to drop that feature.

    Thanks for stopping by. I look forward to reading more from you.

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent answers and I like your thoughts on word verification. Now I have to see if I have mine disabled. I think I do, but can't remember. LOL Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your answer to 9, have a lovely day =)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was interesting to read this blog and as I had been wondering how you got the name Hootin Anni, it solved the mystery. You see when I was growing up we had a neighbour Mrs Hooton and she asked my brother and I to call her Nanny, so she became Nanny Hooton, I had often thought your Hootin Anni was so like it.
    Have a great Sunday.
    Love Granny

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good answers - and I agree about Word Verification. Again, you amaze me with your ability to tweak and make things better on your site.

    I wrote a post on BA - Bloggers Anonymous - when I first realized I as addicted. But we all have made such good friends this way. I love it.

    Have a beautiful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your a hoot ... Annie!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have some thought provoking things to say girl....keep on blogging

    ReplyDelete
  14. i simply loved your thoughts on blogging. and the word verification of course...

    and, you're welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your award, Anni. It's well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anni, you hit the nail on the head about word verifications. They drive me even more insane than I alreay am! Have a great Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Made me feel kinda guilty about the word verification feature on my blog. You see I did not have one before but then spammmers came and infiltrated my blog.

    However, with your answer, I might remove the verification thing. It used to irritate me as well. I guess I kinda forgot that I did.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anni,

    Word verification drives me absolutely crazy. Just trying to read the letters at times is a challenge. Great advise.

    I enjoyed reading your answers to the meme. Your blog is one that I visit everyday unless the world happens to be sending me a curve and then I catch-up the next day. I wouldn't miss it for the world.

    Congratulations on the award from Shadow. You are deserving, my friend and I'm glad she chose you.

    Enjoy your day. The boys and I are going out and I'm hoping to get some great photos. Not sure if they are allowed, but have my fingers crossed.

    Take care and have a great day, my friend. Thanks for the advise on the missing comments. I found them and have emailed you. LOL

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your answer to #10. If I enjoy your content... if you write something interesting enough to make me want to comment... why make it hard on me??

    Its your blog. Customer service people!

    Thanks for stopping by... and making free unfettered comments!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Some good answers, especially the one about word verification. As a result, I've now gone and disabled the word verification on my blog. Thanks for dropping by there, and have a great Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really enjoyed reading your answers. I also agree about the verification thingy.

    Thanks so much for the info about the site with lots of templates! I am there now and lovin it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm not a fan of those word verifications either!

    You've been in my GR for ages. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice post, congrats on your award.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Learn someting new about you everytime you answer a group of questions such as the ones today. You are an amazing lady, Friend.

    And again you passed right over my head with the tip. I really need to study more and learn more about what I'm doing. I usually call the oldest daughter with a big *Help me* when I need something done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I enjoyed reading how your blog got its name. Blogging is a wonderful community isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Anni -- Congratulations on your award! It is a nice one, one that fits you pretty good.
    I like your blogger's meme, I wouldn't have time to do one like that (probably).
    ..
    BTW, I like the count on other's label list, it gives an insight as to what their blogs are all about. My vote is for you to put them back on.
    ..
    And I can't to that with mine, I am using the old blog format. I have 1,267 Posts on Jim's Little Blog and I wouldn't want to risk losing them on updating. The Little P&P Place has 425, Jim's little Happy Place has 198, and 'me, old blogs never read, and ... ' has 172. Ask Dr. Jim is new format. Oh yes, Jim's little Christmas tree farm has 106 and is the new blogger also.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  27. I fully agree with you concerning word verification and approval ! I delete spams and that's it. Usually they make me laugh because they are so stupid it's unbelievable !
    I was busy this weekend. Diane from Norway visited me (first time I met a Blogfriend life) and our son was there too !

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your pics on the blog, the cats, the passion flower, the sunrise...beautiful! I'm a blogging addict too...as addictions go, I think it's a pretty tame one! =)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello, my name is PEA and I'm also a Blogaholic! hehe I don't post every day like you do but I'm still addicted. lol Anni, I so enjoyed reading your answers to the questions and like you, I detest word verification. Especially when I've typed them out twice and get it wrong the third time...sometimes the letters aren't readable!!! Ugh! I've never had word verification on my blog and never will. I've gotten a couple of spam or nasty comments and all I do is delete them, simple as that:-)

    I don't use the labels list on my blog, it's one less thing for me to have to figure out! lol

    Congratulations on the well deserved award, dear friend. You are a blogger extraordinaire:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  30. hi annie! i enjoyed reading your answers and i like your answer to #1. :)

    ReplyDelete

.