my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds




Unconscious Mutterings follows below---




KING'S RANCH PART I


We had a fantastic time at the Ranch Breakfast yesterday. It was almost perfect. Tho, it would have been better if the sun would have been shining! It was overcast all day, and quite cool. I went dressed for a chilly morning; even took a jacket with me, tho it was in the high 40's. ALL day, cloudy and cool. We got rain once we arrived back home, but at the breakfast, we stayed dry. We left home shortly after 6:30 a.m. It was early, I know, but I don't like driving at night much, so I tend to drive much slower. And we took the highway to Alice and Robstown before hitting the highway to Kingsville because it's lighted much more. The back way would have been way too dark for me. LOL

Once we got to Robstown, we hit highway 77 and headed southwest into Kingsville. Luckily, after we hit the ranch land, the gates were opened and they were welcoming only a few. [By the time we left around 10:30 or so, it was still jammed packed, and where we parked at the time we got there --four rows of cars, but as we were getting in the car to leave, the entire field was filled with cars...no doubt about 100 rows of cars and people still driving in!!!

Bud and I have gone to the ranch's museum on the land itself a few times. And we've taken the bus tour that they have available at a cost where they take you into the more 'secret' areas, like the cotton wagon rutted road where Richard King smuggled cotton to the waiting Mexican ships on the Gulf during the Civil War. Of course the tour guide tells you a lot more of the local area of the ranch and stuff like that, that you don't read in history books. Things you don't see when you're invited into the ranch for the annual cowboy breakfast.

Okay, so once we arrived, they had shuttles [wagons on tractors] to take you to the area where the place is set up outdoors. [And by the way Pea, yes the cowboys were SO CUTE directing traffic in the field where we had to park...the one especially showing me where to park the car...cowboy hat, sitting tall in the saddle...and calling me Ma'am!!! Whoa, boy...so virle, so handsome....so YOUNG! LOL] Bud and I walked the distance so we could 'scout out the place'. While walking, we saw for what the ranch is famous! The Texas Longhorns. I love this breed!!!! I was hoping the brindle marked steer behind the spotted one would have paid attention to me and looked toward me....his horns were MUCH longer. He was not at all cooperative.

I would so love to have a tanned hide from one of these beautiful creatures!! Have you ever felt their hair under your bare feet? Trust me, it's smooth, silky and oh so nice and cool! Some day, Anni....some day! We actually HAD one that we had tanned and made into a rug, but believe it or not, it was stolen from our home!!! [I have a photo of it with Irene...I'll have to scan that some day]

With our tickets in our hands, we got in line...as I said there weren't that many there yet, maybe about 300 or so people meandering around, along with some girls with coffee pots! That pleased Bud. He's the coffee drinker. We got up to the 'chow line' and they dished up the grub!!! Sausages, beans, eggs, biscuits with sausage/cream gravy, and tortillas. There was orange juice served also. [The only thing that wasn't more or less 'authentic' was the plastic dinnerware and the paper plates.] There were upright 'tables' at which you stand, just like the ranch workers do...OR straw bales!! So rustic, and so fun actually.

By the way, the cost of the meal is all donated to a children's charity. Food is either raised on the ranch or donated by the local grocery chain.

See what was beside me on one of the straw bales? LOL...meet "Freckles". No, it's not mine. A cute little girl had this with her while she was eating her breakfast. She introduced me to her best friend. Her mother told me that her daughter got that at the ranch's visitor's center a while back and has never parted with it. I just had to add this photo.

While I was taking a photo of Freckles the young girl was so interested in seeing her pony on my cellphone that she asked if she could try it. Of course, I had to show her how and let her take a photo of me while she was standing on a stack of straw bales...she was thrilled and all giggly from being allowed to use the camera. I think she was probably about 5 or 6 years old. She followed my directions well. Such a sweetie!! [the little girl, not the old hag on the straw bale]

Now, to keep the post from getting out of hand...way too long, I will break this up into three posts. [I took about 30 photos!]. Tomorrow or real soon, I'll post the 'entertainment' part in part two. Part three will be some of the ranch itself that I stopped and took pictures of as we drove out. So, stay tuned to the next installment....


RANCH HAND BREAKFAST FACTS

People served: Typically more than 4,000

Food served:

15,000 eggs
550 pounds sausage
5,000 biscuits
100 gallons of cream gravy
4,000 flour tortillas
350 pounds refried beans
25 gallons of hot sauce
185 gallons orange juice
150 gallons of coffee

Source: King Ranch


<><><>


Play along with your subconscious; Sunday's Word Association.
Join here.

I say ... and you think ... ?


1. Spit it out :: Talk to me!!!
2. Shadow :: of your Smile [song]
3. Database :: computer info
4. Expression :: feeling - emoticons
5. Boss :: Hogg [TV - Dukes of Hazard]
6. Baby :: face Nelson [famous criminal]
7. Mystic :: River [good book, good movie!]
8. Kate :: biography [about Katherine Hepburn]
9. Boobies :: LOLOLOL ---titties I guess.
10. Raid :: Kills bugs dead! [an old commercial]




26 comments :

  1. Hi!
    Didn't match on anything. Like your one for boobies. Cute! Take Care!!

    Sherrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. mmm, the breakfast sounds real good so far...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you enjoyed your day, I am glad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun time you had.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a good time. The pictures are great. You looked a little chilly.

    We didn't match on the mutterings. HUMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anni,

    What a wonderful day you and Bud had. The long horn steers are magnificient creatures. I've seen them up close at rodeos. Beautiful beasts. That breakfast invitation is a real keepsake. It's nice to know that the price of the tickets go to a children's charity. Such a worthy cause and a good time for everyone. It certainly looks delicious and they sure do get a good crowd.

    Freckles is so cute. I'm glad you had fun with the little girl. And the lady sitting on the bale of straw is lovely and a terrific friend.

    Enjoyed your unconscious mutterings and you answered about the same as I would. Looking forward to more photos of the King Ranch and your fun day with Bud.

    Love and blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi saw that you visted me and I wasn't home. Just wanted to thank you for stopping by. Your name just cracks me up. Stop by anytime. And please sign my guest book if you have the time.

    Hugs,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wished I could visit such a ranch when I was a little girl I loved Cowboys, lol ! For the moment I see a cute camel walking along the beach with tourists on its back !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heh, a little tv obsessed this week? Loved your mutterings, they had a unique spin. Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great mutterings! Boss Hog was an awesome answer. I love the Dukes of Hazard and I STILL watch the reruns.

    Have a wonderful Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun trip, thanks for taking me along. It reminded me of a few years ago, we were working in Texas, and our airplanes were flying off a farm's fields. Our motor home was inside this field too. I went out one day and the long horns came after me, I ran and screamed until one of the guys saved me. Two of the bulls had been fighting and I came out at the wrong time. The even went for the airplanes! Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kings Ranch has been on my "must do sometime" list for a very long time. Looks like you had a great time..:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You sure got up and got going early! But what a great breakfast! You make me hungry now...LOL What a wonderful event with the proceeds going to such a worthy cause! A LOT of food was served that day! WOW!

    You were so kind to that dear little girl...she will always remember you for making time for her. I have some fond memories of things like that when I was a child (mannnnny years ago! LOL)

    You look beautiful in your photo!!!

    I didn't match but a few of your mutterings but loved your answers!

    I am trying to read everyone's blogs this week again. I've been so busy with work yet...working both jobs is wearing me down!

    Wishing you and yours a Happy Thanksgiving!

    (((((( HUGS ))))))

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a butt load of eggs and sausage ! I will go with the biscuits and gravy ! OMG...... I love biscuits and gravy!

    What a day you had girl friend.. but you need to save room for Thanksgiving gobbler!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe Babyface Nelson didn't occur to me. Some great answers here!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun time you had. Thanks for sharing it with us. I'd never heard of that place, but was glad to hear about it. There are so many wonderful places to visit in our country - in the world actually. Will look forward to more pictures.
    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like you had a great day. And breakfast!! Like your answers, we matched a few.
    Have a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can't believe I didn't think of Boss Hogg (what a character :lol: ) and Mystic River!

    Fantastic Mutterings. Looking forward to next week...

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOL @ the titties, made me laugh & smile :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great mutterings. Boss Hogg! I should have thought of that. ^_^
    Thanks for dropping by my place.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've heard about the "king ranch" we had quater horses when I was young and at one time they had well bred quarter horses.

    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ohhhhhhh MAN! That just sounds like a blast! I'm not sure it would be a good idea for me to take Krysti in there NOW to those cowboys! 19 year old hormones RAGE! And she's not quite as interested in the HORSES as she is in the COWBOYS this year! Talk about dangerous...

    ReplyDelete
  23. lol for number 9. thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That’s what I call SOME BREAKFAST with lots EVERYTHING! Sounds like a wonderful fund-raiser. I love #2 & 5 in your ‘mutterings’ best!!! Very ‘kewl’ … I’m playing catch up today.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mystic River is a good movie and yes, the Raid kills bugs. We just use the bug chalk nowadays instead of the spray :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Virile? Handsome?? Sitting tall in the saddle?? YEEEEHAWWWWWWW!!! hehe Oh and...young...SIGH! lol Sounds like you had a wonderful time and I so enjoyed seeing the pictures. I think it's a good thing you guys went early since it was getting so busy by the time you left. I think it's so neat that they do this and it's obviously a huge success! Can you imagine going to buy the groceries for this event? Sheesh! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

.