my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Another part of my Halloween Decor is added...see sidebar "Halloween Bash Part II"



Join Here


Today's Heads or Tails Prompt is 'wire'.



Which brings me to think of wire as in telephone poles, and the cable you see which has hidden wires [photo above is telephone cable]. Most cities now-a-days, during new construction, place the wiring underground. But still in rural areas you can see the poles from where you are and into the horizon. I also think of telegraph. In those days with use of telegraph --it was referred to as sending a 'wire'...wire a telegram. This also was the means of transferring messages back in the days prior to phones. Did you ever know about the Solar Storm of 1859? September 1st and 2nd to be exact?
    On a cloudless morning, Richard Carrington, one of England's foremost solar astronomers, viewed an amazing event. Tho, for a fact it was just another sunny day for using his telescope. He viewed sunspots. And on this particular day it was different. Mr. Carrington was viewing a huge group of sunspots when he saw two very bright beads of white light appear over the TOP of the sunspots. And the light intensified rapidly. The lights brightened then slowly disappeared. The whole event took only about five minutes....but it was the start of a telegraphic trauma world wide.

    The sky world-wide was treated to a spectacular array of red, green and purple auroras, so brilliant were these auroras that one could read the newspaper as if it were daylight. It all happened before dawn on September 2nd. Countries all over the world witnessed this phenomenon....places like Cuba, Jamaica, El Salvador and Hawaii, not to mention European countries.

    Spark discharges shocked the telegraph operators and set the telegraph paper on fire! All hurried to disconnect their batteries from the power lines [thick cable filled with MANY wires]. The event now is known as solar flares...this was one of gigantic proportions! Today they're announced by x-ray...but in Carrington's day there were no x-ray satellites or radio noise. After exploding on the sun's surface they are arriving on earth within about 18-24 hours. And, they interfere with our globe's magnetic field.

    In the years since, recording the geomagnetic disturbances, Carrington's 'flare' caused the largest storm! A flare in 1989 caused power lines and long distance cables from operating properly. In 2006, a flare so large was examined by an x-ray imager and it was so intense that it damaged the instrument. Cities in the northern latitudes were afflicted with power outages.



Telescopic view of solar storm -- with the auroras mentioned above.

Keep in mind that while you are enjoying your cellphones, laptop computers and GPS systems, remember---the sun has the power to zap them!!!


~..end Heads or Tails
[comment HERE if you'd like to skip the Halloween Treats]





<><><>

This week, a new Halloween gratification is going out to my commentors who leave kindness for me with their kind words left in my comment box. Today, it is handed out to:

Pattie
Jeanette
Teena


And your treat:



If you see your name above, and you'd like to pick up your 'gift', just click on it to enlarge and then save from the 2nd window.



~...end Halloween Treats
Now, I'm sharing a lovely gift from Lady Katherine a rose, from her garden---



Thank you so much Katherine. You made my day fill with sunshine's brightness and warmed my heart with this wonderful, beautiful gift!!!

32 comments :

  1. That was such an interesting post! Who Knew?? Anni did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so kind, with such sweet spoken words. Thank you! You have taught me a lot in the last week, about blogging and about myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Anni -

    Thanks for my Halloween treat! I feel very special indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just don't mess with nature. We've just had a very noisy stormm with lightning strikes galore. One thunderclap was right overhead and was so loud it hurt our ears. So I guess earth storms and sun storms have the power to cause major damage to our electronic gear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'd still like to see aurora lights. one day...

    ReplyDelete
  7. very informative post this week.

    Amazing picture

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm glad you visit me first...thanks for sharing that story and dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That's really interesting about the sun spots! And the rose is beautiful! Hope you're having a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's not odd, it's very creative, and fitting for wire... :-) I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoy riding along on some back road and all of a sudden you see old telegraph poles leaning from years of neglect. Some places they even still have some of the wire still attached. I always think of the people that sent "wires" or the men that installed the telegraph lines in the first place. You don't see the old lines and poles very often but there are a few still out there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's very creative indeed! Thanks for the visit today:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was fascinated by all the different colored wires in your photo. I'm quirky like that. Anything with color I love. :) Thanks for sharing this Tuesday! When you get a chance, take a look at my HoT.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fascinating entry and pic of all those wires! It is awesome the power of the sun eh! My entry for HOT is here

    Stop by if you have a moment :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes the sun has a lot of influence on our globe and ourselves ! The rose is just beautiful.

    I continued to have comment problems so I payed attention. It only happens with blogs www.blabla.com/ and which have the spam protector AKISMET. I had 3 cases today and it will probably happen to you too because you are also blogspot ! I have no idea what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's an interesting post. Yes, it's amazing how delicate some of our communications are - and even more amazing how we rely so much on something that can be gone in a moment.
    Then again, after the Crash, it's obvious we often do this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never heard of that!!! And it sounds kinda scary!! more technology comes more problems. but I love my putor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's a magnificent photo, isn't it? Thanks for the history lesson. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anni,

    What an awesome post. I love learning all of these things and you've done a wonderful job of describing this event. I must research it more. I had heard of solar storms but didn't realize what they were all about. Thanks for a great and informational post.

    Love the rose that Katherine sent you. Just lovely. Enjoy!

    Have a great day and thanks for your comment on my post about Aunt May and doctors.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes the sun certainly is stronger than anything that has been man made!! Those colors are beautiful though!! What a story. I had never heard that before..See I learned something today..smile..Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello dear Anni:-)

    I'm back from my trip and now playing catch up! It was so interesting to read about the Solar Storm of 1859...we just don't realize how powerful the sun can be and what it can cause.

    Anni, I bought you a little something when I was on my trip...can you email me your address? I'll send it to you pronto:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am always thinking about how everything could be gone in a second even though we have all this technology.

    ReplyDelete
  23. First off, that photo of the cross-section of cable is cool! Nice find. Secondly, your discussion of solar flares is fascinating. Great post!

    Happy HoT!
    -smarmoofus

    ReplyDelete
  24. Interesting response to this week’s HoTs theme … once that didn’t occur to me but makes infinite sense in this virtual world … the rose is lovely.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have the most interesting information on your blog! Thanks so much.

    I've also read that a huge solar storm could mess up our power grids, etc. and cause a national disaster. Do you know if this is true?

    Have a wonderful day!
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  26. Solar flares are underrated, I think. It's a fascinating phenomenon, for sure. Nice post. Loved the photos and graphics, too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Who knew that the telephone wire was so pretty? Great post.

    BYW: Thanks for letting me know about my link. I went back to it, but couldn't figure out how to fix it. I'll be sure to double check it from know on.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, very informative! And I love your photos, too. I don't think I'd pass by your house at night -- it gives me the creeps!

    ReplyDelete
  29. My goodness. This is interesting. I remember when people used to wire money and send telegrams. Boy things have changed a lot in a short time.
    Remember that cross on my mantle that you thought might be an antique hatchet? I finally got around to posting a picture of it on my blog today. I did this just for you, of course, because you said you thought it would be a good idea. Thanks for the encouragement.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great take on the wires prompt. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow, i never knew that! cool post. and i definately agree with you - BARBED wire :P

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love your Halloween ghost and ghouls your site is pretty awesome.I love coming here to see what you are going to have up next.Happy Halloween!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

.