my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out





Join Here



A couple of weeks ago, we, as y'all know who follow my blog, took everything that would have been blown away if the hurricane would come our way as once predicted....for safe keeping in our garage. This windchime made of bamboo and coconut shell was one of them. Then, after hurricane Ike's wrath and the evacuation notice was lifted from our area, Bud and I began taking things back outside and replacing them from where they came in the yard. Well, this particular chime was hung on the garden implements hanger [shovels, rakes, edgers...that hanger]. And it was forgotten. The garage is our 'smoking area' as we don't smoke in the house. While out there several times we noticed wasps. And the dampness of the season, we just assumed they were coming in from the garage door when it's opened and getting trapped. But, after a while it dawned on me that perhaps there was a wasp nest in there...and searching high and low, I couldn't find one. Yet, they still [the wasps] would be seen on the garage door windows now and then. I asked Bud, "Have you seen where they are coming from? You don't suppose that there is a nest in here and I cannot find it?" So, we started once again looking in all the 'dark' areas that they like when building the nests. I spied the windchime and told Bud to open the garage and take it out back. I then stopped and said "No, wait...those wasps have been here showing themselves about the time we brought stuff in from the hurricane warnings." "Maybe it's up in the coconut part." Bud said, "No, they were in here before we brought stuff in." As he said that he reached up and lifted the shell part toward him to have a look see.....And there she be!!! As big as the coconut!!! And they started swirling and buzzing out-----Bud rushed outside with it, and I was smashing them that flew to the garage floor with my trusty fly swatter. LOL....I took some flying insect spray from aloft and followed him outdoors, and sprayed the inside making it nice and foamy----He carried it back to the back yard and hung it from our tree...I said to him: "This is gonna be my show n tell for Friday". He laughed and said "Just like the good ol' school days, huh?" I said "Yep" ----


37 comments :

  1. Chiming wasps? Maybe they were hiding from Ike. I'm glad you didn't get stung!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasps!!!!!!!! I wonder why God created them..... can't figure that out.... Oh well, guess they do have a purpose......... Glad you found them and no one was stung....... and now you can enjoy the chimes of your life........

    (that was terrible) !!!!!!!! hahahhahah

    Have a blessed weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wasps are really nasty! I got a terrible sting last year and it hurt for days. You guys were fortunate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG ! that could have been very dangerous ! What a big nest !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasps are not like our honey bees that make delicious honey for us!! Glad you found them.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gday Anni. Im so glad you found the wasps nest without getting stung. they give a nasty sting. I scratched mine during the night and caused a large itchy sore. Please take care while the wasps are about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ChezNous9/26/2008

    Wow, what a Show & Tell! That's a warning to those of us who have garden decorations with open areas that can end up being homes for wasps!

    Glad you and Bud didn't get stung.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow. but that's a perfect little home for them, come to think of it....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story! I got goose bumps just thinking about those wasps. I am so allergic to their stings. eeek..they scareme. I'm glad you smashed them. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. Thanks for visiting my blog and sharing with me about your grandson. I agree with you, our special children are a true gift to the world. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OHoooo... Anni, that is scary..I am glad that Bud did not get stung all over his body from the wasps!!!I would have left them in their New motel until later.. HAVE A FUN DAY, Baba

    ReplyDelete
  12. You were lucky not to have had multiple stings. I got stung a year or so ago and my hand swelled and you couldn't see my knuckles. They really hurt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your bloggy makeover.

    Wow - what a great Show and Tell. Glad no-one was hurt during your wasp adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that's a big nest. Glad neither one of you got stung. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa...how exciting! But I would have been too scared to go any where near that thing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How interesting. Glad you got the culprits.
    Thank you for the kind comments you made on my blog.
    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a good thing neither of youi got stung.
    Tell Bud he is a Hero in my eyes to dare touch the thing.
    I'll get sick when a get the smallest sting
    from that little "monsters"
    Never understood why good old NOAH never smashed both them and the two Mosquito!!!"G"
    Thanks for showing ,though,
    Have a nice week-end my friend.♥

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was a great show and tell.
    Have a nice week end.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yep, just like the good ole school days! Isn't amazing where those buggers will find to make a nest! Hope you got them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well that must have gotten the adrenaline going! Thank goodness you weren't stung!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dianne9/26/2008

    Wasps are nasty. We get them every year around the house though there is wilderness behind us. I swear when you walk near one, they turn their heads to check you out! ; )
    Glad you didn't get stung.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dianne9/26/2008

    Wasps are nasty. We get them every year around the house though there is wilderness behind us. I swear when you walk near one, they turn their heads to check you out! ; )
    Glad you didn't get stung.
    Thanks for dropping by my blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm not playing this but what a great show & tell!!!

    I came to tell you I mentioned you in a tag/meme I just did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ew, I'm scared of wasps and hornets; especially bald face hornets. They are mean. Nice show and tell Annie. Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  25. You are certainly lucky that no one got stung! Jean

    ReplyDelete
  26. I don't have a windchime as beautiful as yours but I must admit wasps decided they liked the look of mine too - until I sprayed it vigorously for a few days in a row that was lol.

    ReplyDelete
  27. OOHHH i would of been screaming!! looks as big as ours was!!!!!!!yikes!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Omigosh, look at that hive in there! WOW! I'm sure Bud was shocked when he came to look under it and saw that hive! Lucky no one got stung, especially him since he almost had his face in there! lol I can just picture you swatting and spraying! hehe xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  29. Yup! Wasps are sneaky this way … I get several nests in my upstairs eaves every year about this size and NEVER like dealing with any of them. Of course, the alternative is worse so I force myself … just because.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  30. I hate those things. We have tons of them here and they get in the worst places.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Anni,

    Sorry I was delayed getting over. It was a busy day for me. End of month, which means writing deadlines are coming up.

    Wow! That is a good sized nest. I'm surprised that neither of you were badly stung. Wasps will make a nest anywhere they feel it will be safe and the coconut provided good camouflage.

    Well, off to watch the US Presidential debate. I didn't think McCain was going to show, but apparently he changed his mind.

    Have a great weekend, my friend and be sure to take some time for relaxation.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great S&T. And thank goodness neither one of you got stung!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yikes! I would have freaked out! I'm glad no one got bitten!

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  34. Yikes! It's huge! I'm glad you took care of it!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yikes Anni! That's kinda scary. Amazing, really, that they didn't get either of you. Good story!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi, I guess I need to check mine, as I have one just like yours. I did notice I have something living in my butterfly house, not sure what, scared to get too close.

    ReplyDelete

.