my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds







Join Here


Now, for the Show N Tell for the week - - -



This is one of the oldest books in our home library.
It's an 1898 edition of Shakespeare's The Tragedy of King Lear.




The title pages show the editor, and the cities in which it's published, New York, Cincinnati, and Chicago - along with a lithograph of the Stratford Church. [The book is filled with several wonderful lithographic works!]




The copyright page shows that this particular issue/publication company Harper & Brothers has two dates, 1890 and 1898. Also on this page is a listing of other English Classics such as The Merchant of Venic, Richard III, Henry VIII and Anthony and Cleopatra among several others. [follows with a 39 page introduction of the tragic Shakespearean play]




The page to the left shows 'DRAMATIS PERSONÆ' Latin for the cast of characters. The right side, the right handed page shows you a lithograph and Act I -
Scene 1 King Lear's Palace
Enter: Kent, Gloster and Edmond
Kent: I thought the king had more affected the Duke of Albany than Cornwall.
Gloster: It did always seem so to us: but now, in the divisiton of the kingdom, it appears not which of the dukes he.....



My last photo shows the page just before the "notes" section of the book. The lithograph of the Stratford Portrait of Shakespeare himself.

The book, considering the age, is in VERY fine condition and a treasure of mine as I adore reading Shakespeare.



    LEAR: So young, and so untender?
    CORDELIA: So young, my lord, and true.
    LEAR: Let it be so; thy truth, then, be thy dower:
    For, by the sacred radiance of the sun,
    The mysteries of Hecate, and the night;
    By all the operation of the orbs
    From whom we do exist, and cease to be;
    Here I disclaim all my paternal care,
    Propinquity and property of blood,
    And as a stranger to my heart and me
    Hold thee, from this, for ever.


Isn't that quote beautiful? Gotta love it.

~...end Show N Tell
[scroll down a bit for commenting]



<><><>




Friday the movie "Baby Mama" opens here in town. I've seen the previews several times and it looks cute. I am sure Bud and I will go see it for the first showing. It's been quite a while since we've been to a movie....there just haven't been too many that have been released that interests us. I think the last two we went to see was "The Other Boleyn Girl" and "Sweeney Todd". I'm glad the writers' strike is over in Hollywood, now if they can just improve their writing! LOL

But, if this movie makes me laugh and I can enjoy a few quiet minutes with hubby at my side, it'll be worth it. Y'know?

Hope it's as cute/funny as it looks in the trailers.



36 comments :

  1. Anni, thanks for stopping by. My husband would love your book. He especially loves the old classics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anni, the old book, especially the book You love, allways is a treasure. As I can see in photos, Your book is in fantastic condition.
    Ruuta

    ReplyDelete
  3. How amazing to have something so old and in such good condition. Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that book is in great condition. I hope you, and your dear hubby enjoy the movie this weekend. I love your tiger header, awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooo! I LOVE your Show & Tell this week! I actually have not read that one... can I borrow it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH! I forgot to say...
    LOVE the new TIGER look -- very exotic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so enjoy old books! Well, actually, I don't think I ever met a book I DIDN'T like! I have a collection of Shakespeare that is my mother's. I think it's from the 1940's, not that old. My oldest publshed book I have is from 1859 and it's in beautiful shape! I bought it at an antique store when I was just 13! They made books with so much more detail back then before they began mass producing them for everyone.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! Act you all lee... Eye had red yore third teen ... eye guess I jest fur got two come meant awn eat cause eye was sew taken with the play! ooops... saw ray! My miss take!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love old books. The feel, the smell everything! You book is wonderful!

    Thanks for sharing

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow ! what a precious book !
    I just came back from my sunbath in the garden ! The second one this year ! That feels soooo good having some warm sun on my old bones !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Anni, Im Back!

    OHH your book is in beautiful condition. And I love your Tiger header..
    But then im a Tiger fan my AFL FOOTY TEAM,, Go TIGERS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, great book! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it! Your blog, your book. Every time I come by you have redecorated. I like the poem by Blake: one of my favorites.

    The book is so fun. I love old books!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband has always loved Shakespeare. He was an English major in college so I know he'd love your book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Truly a treasure of an old book.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anni,

    Old books are a passion of Michelle's. I have several here for her and am just waiting for them to sell their house and get moved. There's nothing worse to move than books.

    I love the classic you have in your possession. It is in excellent condition for its age and those litographs are wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful specimen of Shakesphere.

    We don't go to movies often. It's been a couple years now. The last movie we went to, we took the boys. We usually wait for them to come out on DVD but a trip to the movies sounds great.

    Have a wonderful weekend. We're getting rain this morning and it is a bit chilly.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. I enjoyed the Shakespeare book. I had the privilege of touring his house and also the house of Anne Hathaway when we were in Stratford a few years ago. That made seeing the book more meaningful to me. Wow, that tiger really jumps out at you.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cool new header today! Quite ‘wild’ actually ;--)
    I enjoyed seeing images of …(and learning about)… this well-preserved book in your personal library. I’ve seen the previews for this film as well but will probably wait until it shows up on cable.
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is certainly a treasure and in such nice condition. You are very lucky to have this in your library.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, what a treasure to have!! though I wonder if I could read it , lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. PS: love your new "wild" look :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I had Nancy come in here and look at your new look and she said TIGERS!!! I love tigers!
    Your book is neat and OLD!!
    Be sure and tell us how you like the movie. Love and Hugs, Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very special book in excellent condition.

    Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think the oldest book I have is a paperback that i hvae had for a while.I got it when I was a teen ager.It is about the capture of the U-505 on the high seas.(the last time an enemy ship was captured by our navy during a battle was in 1812.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What an incredible book! I adore all books, but especially old books. Yours does look to be in wonderful condition and yes, ma'am, that is a beautiful quote!
    Kathy@ Mimi's Garden

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a great acquisition - I wonder where you got the old book. My brother is quite the collector as well.

    I just saw that movie advertised, and wonder how it will be. So many add in the vulgar language for some vfery obscure, unnecessary reason!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anni,do you realize what a wonderful treasure this is?? Oh my goodness! I love Shakespeare! I am glad you added a quote from the book as well. Nice post! Thanks!

    By the way...you are too doggone creative with your background...heehee...how'dyou do that??? Looks nice :o) Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Anni,do you realize what a wonderful treasure this is?? Oh my goodness! I love Shakespeare! I am glad you added a quote from the book as well. Nice post! Thanks!

    By the way...you are too doggone creative with your background...heehee...how'dyou do that??? Looks nice :o) Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anni,
    I absolutely love Shakespeare. I have an old copy of the Merchant of Venice which is a very early printing. It is packed away.
    If you really love "The Bard" and have not seen Kenneth Branagh's production of "Much Ado About Nothing", please get a copy from Blockbuster or something and watch it. It is my favorite movie of all time and you'll love it.
    Let me know if you do. (You'll want to thank me.) :0)
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  30. I thought I'd gone on safari when I clicked on your blog today! Love the tigers. The book is also awesome.

    Did you know roosters are good luck? Wonder why? Stop by for the answer.

    For your daily dose of vintage goodness & a bit of silliness, stop by Confessions of an Apron Queen, the home of Vintage Thingies Thursdays.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love love LOVE Shakespeare! How wonderful you have such a unique edition. I also adore William Blake!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks for stopping by! I don't have very many old books, but there are a few I treasure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Yes, that is a beautiful quote from Shakespeare. Nice choice for Show and Tell.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Old books are so historic. The
    printing and drawings are usually
    so different than todays plain
    editions. Great book!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a wonderful old book, Anni! I enjoyed seeing all of the pictures too!
    Hugs,
    Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  36. The book looks to be in pristine condition....

    Enjoyed your post and thanks for visiting with me........ Betty

    ReplyDelete

.