my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds








Jo is our host this week for Fun Monday. She asks of us:
    I want to know about your first ‘celebrity’ crush. You know, the one you fancied from that band, or that film, or who read the news, or who won Gold at the Olympics. Did you have their pictures on your wall or in your locker? Did you dress like them, style or colour your hair like them, follow them, meet them, marry them? (It could happen.) Photos of THEM would be good, photos of YOU at the time you liked them would be even better. Also, if you have time, I’d like to know whether they had any influence over your life, the person you became, or if they were just an embarrassing blip you would kind of rather forget about.


Golly, this week's theme is just so easy. In fact, I find myself remembering this man still today. What a hottie back in 'his day and age'. And a bit of an 'unknown' in my country [USA] too, for that matter. Let me put it this way, his name was never [that I know of, I could be wrong] ever found at the top of the marquee!! But when I first laid eyes on him on the 'big screen'.........I was in love! Of course, mind you, I was VERY young. And even back then, in my youth as it is still today with me, I see a certain wonderfulness of older men. [back when I was nine years old, I used to make a real effort to walk past the boys' fraternities just to see the great 'guys'!! Wow, be still my heart!!!] I had a crush on a 21 year old, and he flirted with me all the time. Yep, his name was Tom. And he had a red corvette!! Oh lordy....this is just tearing me apart! Wow.

Okay, where was I? Oh ya, celebrity crush. The film was "Ben Hur". [this ages me doesn't it? LOL] Altho the 'big' celebrity was the great Charlton Heston, I couldn't see myself liking him at all. He always looked so grumpy in his movies! A real grouch of a man in the roles he played!! But boy howdy the guy that played opposite him...Messala, oh so yummy. That deep cleft in his chin....the dark hair, the rich loving Irish eyes of his. And his armour! Believe me when I say that this not-yet-teenager had found her man!! Hormones were really rushing through my bloodstream way back then. I could just picture me and this guy defeating me with submission - him and his whip......oh my, now wait a minute....again -where was I?

Stephen Boyd. Yep, he was of Irish heritage. Can't beat that with a stick now, can you? LOL


    Born William “Billy” Millar July 4th, 1931 at White House by Belfast, Northern Ireland. Mother was Martha Boyd, father a Canadian truck driver James Alexander Millar who worked for Fleming’s on Tomb Street in Belfast. Billy was one of nine children. By 1956 he signed a 7-year contract with 20th Century Fox. This assignment lead to his first role in a motion picture as the Irish spy in the movie “The Man Who Never Was”, offered to him by the legendary Alexander Korda. William Wyler was so impressed with Boyd’s performance in The Man Who Never Was that he asked Fox to lend him out and cast him for the now famous role of Messala in the 1959 remake of the epic film opposite Charlton Heston, Ben Hur. He was honored for his work by receiving a Golden Globe award but was surprisingly by-passed on Oscar night. Still under contract with the major movie studio, Stephen Boyd waited around to play the role of Marc Anthony in Cleopatra opposite Elizabeth Taylor. Miss Taylor however became so seriously ill that the production was delayed for months, which caused Boyd and other actors to withdraw from the film and move on to other projects. Stephen Boyd died of a massive heart attack while playing golf at the Porter Valley country club, one of his favorite past-times. He is buried at Oakwood Memorial Park in Tarzana, California. It was a terrible and shocking loss just as he seemed to be making a comeback with his last roles in the American series Hawaii Five-O and the English movie “The Squeeze”.
How did he influence me? I guess first off my love of movies ever since that one time back in the 50's!! I could go and see all the men I wanted, good looking, and have a dreamscape. I also found myself reading a lot from that point on....I would get my hands on everything about HIM and Ben Hur. The Bible even came into my life after that point. Interests in Jewish Slavery, Roman history, etc. Not to mention my love affair with reading about Shakespeare's characters also. [1964 Hamlet starring Richard Burton...AND the new version with Mel Gibson], I confess to watching still, Julius Ceasar with Marlon Brando, up to the new Romeo and Juliet with Leonardo DiCaprio! I also, later on in life, became infatuated with English [as in England] History...and more so, MORE Shakespeare, thanks to this movie and other epic movies of that day and age, I chose all my elective classes in school that had any background with English History and Literature. I fell in love all over again, Julius Ceasar, Cleopatra, Marc Anthony, Pontius Pilate, just to name a few. So, I guess I have Stephen Boyd and Ben Hur to thank!!! Oh, and I married an older man. He too had dark hair, and huge deep dimples!! Not to mention he was Irish, with ancestors hailing from Belfast!!

- - -

On Yahoo News Sunday April 6th: LOS ANGELES - Charlton Heston, who won the 1959 best actor Oscar as the chariot-racing "Ben-Hur" and portrayed Moses, Michelangelo, El Cid and other heroic figures in movie epics of the '50s and '60s, has died. He was 84.


33 comments :

  1. I was saddened to hear today, that he has died ... but he will live forever in all our hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He was a very handsome man, no wonder you were smitten with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anni,

    Charlton Heston was a great actor and I was saddened to learn that he had passed. It seems every year we lose some of the old time greats.

    Your man is handsome and I can see why you feel instantly in love.

    I have my Monday post up. Please drop by when you have time. I posted the beautiful award you made for me and some photos I took when hubby and I went out for a Sunday drive.

    Take care and have a wonderful week, my friend.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can certainly understand that. He was handsome. My first crush was on Ricky Nelson. I couldn't miss the weekly show of the Nelson's and if he sang I was totally overtaken with delight. I was devastated when he was killed in a plane crash on New Year's Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great choice for today's topic! I, too, was saddened to hear of his death...and then not. He lived his life well and died, I am sure, just as well.

    Thanks, Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm... he looks great in that armor - I can see why that and the chin might reach out and grab you. I agree with you on Heston - I never quite got the appeal of him. Definitely too grouchy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anni:-)

    I certainly do remember Stephen Boyd and like you, I just loved his cleft chin! hehe My first celebrity crush was Elvis Presley...omigosh how I wished he would come and get me and we'd live happily every after...I was about 8 years old! lol

    I heard on the news this morning about Charlton Heston's death and was so saddened by it. All of these great actors are now in their 80's and 90's and we're losing them one by one:-(

    Hope your weekend was a great one! We had two beautiful sunny days and it even went up into the high 40's...woohoo! lol The snow is finally starting to melt so maybe Spring IS going to arrive here soon. xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anni, Your celebrity crush was a great actor. Mine today was also from 1955 and you will know him also... Have fun reading our stories..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hubba hubba - he's handsome! I've never heard of him. Your first crush is much classier than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a man, I will take your word for it - as the attractions go. I did like Heston and his diversity in movie scripts. From Moses to monkey tamer, he was fun to watch. NLM

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not bad, not bad ! I like him too, he corresponds to my men taste, lol ! Weren't we adorable at that time ??

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's a sad day in Hollywood most definitely. Charlton Heston was one of the greats. Your crush was certainly a looker too though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. got lost a for a few minutes in that cleft chin...

    Okay. I'm back.

    A few years ago I was down in the dumps about something and I went to see a movie with some friends -- Dance with me -- Starring a latin hearthob singer called Cheyenne.
    I tell you -- it brightened me right back up and got me curious about salsa dancing. (watching it, not dancing it)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was saddened too by his departure...handsome one!

    Oh, and so is Chayenne, mentioned in Pamela's comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brilliant post Anni. He was lovely. I too married an older man with dark hair and a dimpled chin. Ahhh we have such good taste.

    And I love how your love for Stephen Boyd and the film Ben Hur lead to so many other good things in your life. Wonderful.

    And Charlton Heston, RIP.

    Thanks for playing, and have a great day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Falling for the looks, I see!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good Morning Anni,
    I enjoyed reading who you had a crush on. Even tho I had never heard of him, I did enjoy it. I heard on the news yesterday about Charlton Heston dying and he will be greatly missed. He was a great actor. I think my 2 star crushes were on Elvis and Donny Osmond. I was so obsessed with Donny Osmond that I would buy the Tiger Beat Magazines each month and if his picture was in it, I would take it out and put it in frames in my bedroom. LOL. I got to go see him and his brothers in concert once also. You talk about one happy child, LOL, I was on cloud nine. That was my first concert to ever go to was to see the Osmond Brothers. I wanted to read and learn everything there was about Donny Osmond back then. LOL. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

    Love & Hugs,
    Karen H.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My first celebrity crush was Donny Osmond. Hey, I was 5, cut me a break. :)

    Your crush was kinda hot, now that I see him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sad to hear about Charlton Heston's passing. He was my President (NRA reference there!).

    So happy to read a post that doesn't include Shaun Cassidy!!! I think you were like me...older men were IT!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes i remember him too!! Very nice looking for sure!! Glad that he had a lot of influence on you...all good i think too.
    Hope your day is going well..Mine is busy as always..Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  21. I remember Stephen Boyd. He was a very handsome man who was in many movies...good choice

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ah, I see we have the same taste Anni--good choice. I believe you're a baseball fan so you may be interested in my celebrity--finally have it posted.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Lord Anni, I don't know who he is!!! What about Rock Hudson, or Carey Grant? Did you ever crush on one of them??

    Be blessed.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  24. I so enjoyed your story...it indeed influenced you! Happy Fun Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just love how you explain things! Very good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have taken me back to my childhood all those films (I remember The man who never was) I haven't thought about for years.

    I was saddened to hear about Charlton Heston he was a great actor.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Such a handsome chocie!

    I was so sad to hear about Charltons Heston.

    Our Happy Happenings

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's a fasinating read. A great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I loved Charlton Heston too! What a wonderful actor!! You sure have a way with words!! Love and Hugs Grams

    ReplyDelete
  30. Stephen Boyd he died way to young at only 45. But if he inspired you to read and develop interest outside of your normal day to day he must have a impression on you, and that is commendable.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I loved reading your perspective! Sad that he died so young.

    ReplyDelete

.