my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out
Black and White Background courtesy of free backgrounds







<><><>edition 45<><><>


[the rat]

I love the Oriental Culture, and tho I'm not Chinese, we have collected the animal symbols for our family and display them along with many figurines and knick knacks with the Oriental flair...one whole room in our home is nothing but. Chinese New Year is the longest and most important celebration in the Chinese calendar. The Chinese year 4706 begins on Feb. 7, 2008. Chinese months are reckoned by the lunar calendar, with each month beginning on the darkest day. New Year festivities traditionally start on the first day of the month and continue until the fifteenth, when the moon is brightest. In China, people may take weeks of holiday from work to prepare for and celebrate the New Year.

A Ratty Year

Legend has it that in ancient times, Buddha asked all the animals to meet him on Chinese New Year. Twelve came, and Buddha named a year after each one. He announced that the people born in each animal's year would have some of that animal's personality. Those born in rat years tend to be leaders, pioneers, and conquerors. They are charming, passionate, charismatic, practical and hardworking.


Chinese Zodiac


1. This year, 2008, is the year of the RAT. Our son is born under this symbol. The Chinese New Year is a 15 day traditional Celebration for those observing.
To be born under the symbol, RAT you're 'scope is:

Our son was born under the Rat ---

    The Rat (SHU)
    Ruler of the hours 11pm to 1am
    Direction - North
    Season - Winter/December
    Fixed element - Water positive
    Yin/Yang - Yang


Technically, he is the "Water Rat"
The Water Rat - shrewd, perceptive, is motivated by education, is traditional and understanding.

The Water Rat Years
18 Feb 1912 to 5 Feb 1913
15 Feb 1972 to 2 Feb 1973

2. I was born under the symbol the OX (NIU)
    Ruler of the hours 1am to 3am
    Direction - North/Northeast
    Season - Winter/January
    Fixed element - Water negative
    Yin/Yang - Yin


Technically, I am the "Earth Ox"
The Earth Ox - resolute, enduring, motivated by patience, is focused and genuine.



3. The Dragon (LONG)
Ruler of the hours 7am to 9am
Direction - East/Southeast
Season - Spring/April
Fixed element - Wood positive
Yin/Yang - Yang

4. My hubby is under the TIGER
    The Tiger (HU)
    Ruler of the hours 3am to 5am
    Direction - East/Northeast
    Season - Winter/February
    Fixed element - Wood positive
    Yin/Yang - Yang


Technically he is "The Earth Tiger"
The Earth Tiger - hard working, academic, motivated by worth, is impartial and responsible.



5. The Horse (MA)
Ruler of the hours 11am to 1pm
Direction - South
Season - Summer/June
Fixed element - Fire positive
Yin/Yang - Yang

6. The Sheep/Goat (YANG)
Ruler of the hours 1pm to 3pm
Direction - South/Southwest
Season - Summer/July
Fixed element - Fire negative
Yin/Yang - Yin

7. The Rabbit (TU)
Ruler of the hours 5am to 7am
Direction - East
Season - Spring/March
Fixed element - Wood negative
Yin/Yang - Yin

8. The Snake (SHE)
Ruler of the hours 9am to 11am
Direction - South/Southwest
Season - Spring/May
Fixed element - Fire negative
Yin/Yang - Yin

9. My daughter is born under the ROOSTER
    The Rooster (JI)
    Ruler of the hours 5pm to 7pm
    Direction - West
    Season - Autumn/September
    Fixed element - Metal negative
    Yin/Yang - Yin


Technically she is "The Earth Rooster"
The Earth Rooster - well-organized, motivated by efficiency, scholarly, methodical and modest.

The Earth Rooster Years
22 Jan 1909 to 9 Feb 1910
17 Feb 1969 to 5 Feb 1970

10. The BOAR (ZHU)
Ruler of the hours 9pm to 11pm
Direction - North/Northwest
Season - Autumn/November
Fixed element - Water negative
Yin/Yang - Yin

11. The Monkey (HOU)
Ruler of the hours 3pm to 5pm
Direction - West/Southwest
Season - Summer/August
Fixed element - Metal positive
Yin/Yang - Yang

12. The DOG (GOU)
Ruler of the hours 7pm to 9pm
Direction - West/Northwest
Season - Autumn/October
Fixed element - Metal positive
Yin/Yang - Yang

13. Yin vs. Yang [yin yang]


Yin & Yang : are two primal forces controlling the whole of the universe according to Chinese philosophy. It is thought that everything can be categorized by this balancing system of Yin and Yang. Indeed everything from people, houses and animals, to nations continents and the entire universe, may be determined by the balance or lack of balance of the Yin and Yang. The ideal balance of Yin and Yang can be summarized in this diagram. The white (Yin) part of the diagram increases as the black (Yang) part decreases. When one part is at its height then the other is at its lowest ebb. Sometimes it is assumed that Yin is female and Yang male, however, this is not strictly true. For example, even though Yin is thought of as a predominantly feminine force, men can still possess it too.

Within Yin is the seed of Yang and vice versa, and as such, they form two complementary, yet also opposing forces. Together Yin and Yang make a whole, neither one is more important than the other.

<><><>
source: Chinese Symbols , Yin Yang, history
Also here today is the RAT coloring page online [they have ALL 12 Chinese Zodiac symbols to color - for kids of all ages]


<><><>


Siani made this award herself and gave it to me. I'm very warmed and happy that it came my way!!! I'm a way 'cool cat'!! I love this. Thanks!!!
And, if per chance I am given gift awards, I post them with gratitude and thankfulness. And since they're appreciated greatly, I will try my best to post them as I receive them.

- - -

My Thursday blog is one of the two "Featured Blogs" on the Thursday 13 Hub today!! Way cool. Thanks. And thanks to Lady Bug Crossing for telling me. I wouldn't have noticed.


52 comments :

  1. Whenever I go to my favourite Chinese restaurant, I love reading their placemats because they always have the Chinese Zodiac on it:-) I was born the year of the Rooster, same as your daughter! It was interesting to read about Yin & Yang...I always wondered exactly what that meant, now I know! Congratulations on the Cool Cat Award, what a delightful button:-) Hope your day is going well my friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting as always. Congrats on your award.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello hootin's anni, so glad to visit your blog...it's indeed one of the interesting site I've gone through...I added you to my links!hope to hear from you again soon.
    http://ellenheartbeats.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to know what it was that Buddha found "charming" and "charismatic" about the RAT!? LOL! I am a rooster like Lady I! (and you KNOW how "modest" I am!) ROFL! Seems the Chinese horoscopes are about as accurate as the American ones! (but a lot more FUN, I think!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great award Anni...I think you are a cool cat also!

    I can never remember which animal I am born under...but this did remind me of the first time we met our son's birthmother....we met at a Chinese restaurant and the placemats had all the animals and the corresponding years...we had fun with it and it was a good ice breaker!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anni,

    Congratulations on the award. You are a "cool cat." LOL

    I also was born in the year of the ox. Mmm! I wonder how many months our birthdays are apart. I was an October baby and just missed being a Canadian Thanksgiving baby. Thanksgiving was on Monday and I was born on Wed.

    Very interesting post. I enjoyed it.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Evening Anni,
    "CONGRATULATION'S" on your Cool Cat Award. You truly are a Cool Cat. When we go eat Chinese food, at one particular restaurant, they have the chinese placemats and has all the signs and stuff like that on them. It's been a while since I've been to that restaurant, so I've forgotten what I am. LOL. That sounded funny, I know what I am. LOL. Shoot, I can't type now. LOL. That's interesting to know what you fall under. "THANK YOU" for sharing it with us. Hope you had a good day yesterday. And, if I had your email address, I would email you about the comment you left yesterday. Take care my friend and have a great day. May God Bless You and Yours.

    Love & Hugs,
    Karen H.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good info. I think we should all recognize the Chinese New Year...I mean, who can argue with another New Year's Eve?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so cool. I love your new Valentine's layout.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Annie!
    Your TT is the TT of Note this week! Congrats!
    I found this very educational. I have to go find out what animal I am. :-)

    Love the picture of your saddle!
    xo
    LBC

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is always the Year of the Cat here at the Yellow House. No sneaky rats will be found here. Not Alive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We've got a sheep, a rooster, a snake and a goat in our family.

    This was really interesting, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. cool list! thanks for stopping by my page!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for visiting Miller Manor! I have never really spent much time studying this before. Thanks for the interesting post!
    TM

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely didn't know any of this. Very interesting. :) I guess I'm a snake, then, because my b-day is in May? Hmmm.
    Congrats on being featured on the TT site! How fun.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sharon: No, you don't go by the month you were born...you go by the year of your birth. Click on the Chinese Zodiac link I left above in my blog write up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a very interesting list. I enjoyed it.

    Stop by and visit my first TT!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very interesting! Congrats on being a featured blog. Happy early birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on your "featured" status!

    The Chinese New Year is one cultural holiday that is celebrated in classrooms across the country. It's interesting and it's a sure fire way to drive off the winter blahs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are an ox and I am a goat, lol ! When I was with my two friends in Egypt we realized that we were 3 goats that's probably why we have the same interests. Now we call ourselves "The 3 goat Club" !

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was really interesting Anni. I'm going to have to try and figure out what my family is!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Interesting facts about Chinese culture I never knew! Thanks for sharing - and thanks for visiting my blog for TT. Congrats on being a featured blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very interesting post.. I had fun reading it!! Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  24. CONGRAtulations on being site of the day Anni! An appropriate TT for this Thursday for sure. Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good morning Anni,I do not know what my sign is according to the Chinese?
    Thanks for your visit to my place today.I am very busy taking care of my daughter and her family since the arrival of Olivia...You are one of the coolest people I know..a great award for you..Hugs, Baba

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations on being featured on T13 today.

    I was born in the year of the Monkey which is deemed to be one of the luckiest animals for this year of the Rat. :)

    Happy T13 and happy lunar new year as well (even though you are not Chinese)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations on being the featured 13'er!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've always wanted to be a rat, just because I like rats. I am a rooster. My husband is a horse.

    Thanks for stopping by my TT.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hurray for you! My b-day is tomorrow! :) I am a water Rabbit. I don't really know what means, but it must be something! ;) What a fun way to celebrate your b-day and TT! :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats on being featured today and what a fun post you have. I was born in the year of the horse, just not sure which kind of horse. I didn't know there were different types of animals--like the earth tiger, etc. I thought the year of the rat was just the year of the rat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I was born in the year of the Sheep. Happy TT!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. yay for being the feature blog Annie!

    love your T13 too.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very informative.
    Thanks for visiting my TT Child raising manual!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are a very Cool Cat!! Congrats on being the site of the Day!! How neat is that!!!! Love and Hugs, Grams

    ReplyDelete
  35. I'm a wood dragon. Happy T13.

    ReplyDelete
  36. That is sooo interesting! I always wondered about that! Thanks...really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I'm told that being a Libra Rat makes me even more charasmatic. I'm not sure about that.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Very interesting TT and congrats on your award.

    ReplyDelete
  39. That's really interesting. If I remember right I'm a horse. I have a little jade horse figurine somewhere in the mess that is our basement.

    Congrats on being a featured site!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm a boar. I don't know what kind, Earth Fire Water. How do you know? I've been told I'm a total boar though. I am going to a New Year's party this weekend. We do this every year around Chinese New Year. We eat homemade Chinese food and watch bad Chinese movies and play real Chinese Mah Jong

    Thanks for visiting my T13 #66 13 Movie Titles that are Song Titles too.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Very interesting TT! I think I was born in the year of the monkey...it explains a lot!

    ~Harris.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Very interesting. I enjoyed reading this. And congrats on being chosen for a feature.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I'm a DOG myself. Happy TT and thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  44. That was a cool TT! And Happy B Day, mine is tomorrow =)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Congrats on being the featured blog this week. I'm an Ox too.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I'm a rooster too -- but metal. This was fun and interesting to read.

    ReplyDelete
  47. The Chinese Zodiac is so interesting! Thanks for sharing. And congrats on being a featured TT blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  48. WOOT for the year of the Rat! I'm a proud rat myself. Great TT!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Gong Xi Fa Cai! That's Mandarin for Happy New Year but I'm not Chinese though, hehe. :o) I'm a Rabbit and my husband's a Dragon. I was thrilled to find out that we complement each other: I'm Yin and he's Yang!

    Thanks for droppping by my T13! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Fascinating...I love anything Oriental too, and I've always wanted to know more about the Chinese zodiac. Thanks for this informative post.

    thanks

    T13 #12 |  Pictures from the (Virtual) Earth:  Thirteen Landscapes

    ReplyDelete
  51. Well, it looks like my Hubby and I have the same signs as your kids.

    Great list, and Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi! I was born 1973- I think it is also year of the OX?

    Very informative post!

    ReplyDelete

.