my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out



~Thursday 13 -EDITION #47-

Just this Monday morning, I was reading an article found on Yahoo News™ --that the family 'tree' of the great 'thinker', Confucius [born Kong Qiu, styled Zhong Ni, lived in 551 B.C. - 479 B.C.], will be updated and it's expected to have an estimated 1.3 million new branches added by 2009 which will be in celebration of his 2,560th birthday. It has stated that for the first time in history, women will be added. So, since I've always been interested in reading his philosophy in words, I'm going to add 13 of his here. [I watched a National Geographic special on TV a few years back how descendants 'proved' they were relation to Genghis Khan by DNA testing, so I guess this is just as possible to prove one is related to Confucius also! It's reported that with the new family tree there will be over 3 million of his descendants, total. Wonder how many wives he had? Hmmmmmmm.] For about 15 years my daughter and I have worked diligently on our own genealogy, and traced our roots back as far as 1600 Ireland so far. I saw this article, and it piqued my interest since I too do genealogy. Tho, I'm far from related to the wise teacher of Ancient China, I find his words very fascinating and I have several times put his words to use in my own lifestyle....



Some of his verbal teachings [I wish I was half as brilliant as he], of what I think are most profound, are listed here. Confucius says:

1] Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.

2] To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage.

3] Hold faithfulness and sincerity as first principles.

4] The cautious seldom err.

5] The firm, the enduring, the simple, and the modest are near to virtue.

6] Learning without thought is labor lost; thought without learning is perilous.

7] If a man takes no thought about what is distant, he will find sorrow near at hand.

8] To be able to practice five things everywhere under heaven constitutes perfect virtue... gravity, generosity of soul, sincerity, earnestness, and kindness.

9] Recognize that you know what you know, and that you are ignorant of what you do not know.

10] Silence is a friend who will never betray.

11] I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

12] It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.



13] And my all time favorite! I have loved this one for decades when I read it way back in my school days. It's still very prominent in my memory.
    If there be righteousness in the heart,
    there will be beauty in the character.
    If there be beauty in the character,
    there will be harmony in the home.
    If there be harmony in the home,
    there will be order in the nation.
    If there be order in the nation,
    there will be peace in the world.



- - -

[Batik artwork by Yan Ping]


<><><>

Hubby and I have company until most likely early Monday morning. My online time will be limited. And just a few minutes ago, I tried to open the Thursday Hub and the server was down. :o( Hope Thursday treats you well!!!

18 comments :

  1. N° 13 is my favourite too !

    I don't know what happens to TT page, it's down since hours, everybody complains !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a good post, thanks dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning Anni,
    I'm late in posting and visiting this morning. I was having trouble getting on the internet here and I had to call the Cable Help Desk and they had to reset my modem. I love the 13 things Confucious said. I do have to say that #13 is my favorite. I can't believe you have traced your geneology to way back to 1600. That is so neat. Are you related to anyone famous yet? LOL. Sorry, I had to throw that in there. At one time on my Dad's side of the Family, someone was doing the same thing. It's been a few years since they were doing that and I haven't heard anymore about it. They would have it at the Family Reunion they would always have down in Mississippi. It's been a few years since they have had a reunion because so many are getting older and can't travel that far. It appears we got a little freezing rain overnight here, but it must not have been alot because there are no School closings here or around here. Say a prayer that my DH will make it home safely today. I talked to him around 5:25a.m. and he was about 30 miles from Topeka, KS. He will be coming thru Kansas City and down thru Springfield, MO and then down here. I'm not sure how the roads are up thru that way, but hopefully he will be able to make it home. Take care my friend and have a great day. Enjoy your company. May God Bless You and Yours. Visit when you can.

    Love & Hugs,
    Karen H.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the last one, too.
    Happy tt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anni, I love Confucious the 13 things . I do have to say that 13 is my favorite also.
    TY for the the big Texas howdy..Hopefully had the last test on Tuesday.And hoping,looking for good results when I visit Doc.next Monday, pleased you like the jokes..Sending big Aussie Hugs your way... Jen,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good Morning!! I have been meaning to ask you what you thought about the end this year of Prison Break!! Michael is taking off to kill that mean lady!! I have my honey watching it with me now.
    All I know about confucius is the old old jokes...
    Confucius say: He who eat colored jelly beans and fly in plane upside down fart technicolor!!
    That is the only one that I can remember from high school!! Smile
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  7. wowie kazowie
    awesome thirteen!

    #1 is me to a tee
    always headin' out with a shovel . . .
    sigh

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Anni, I liked your Thursday 13 and really like #9 and #12. Have a great day.
    Love and Hugs,
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  9. loved your list... especially the first & the last quote - I hadn't heard the last one, and it's both beautiful & timely.
    Happy Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1 and 9 are my favorites. Great list, and enjoy your company this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a wonderfully inspiring T-13. Number 6 is all too true, but #9 is what I'll carry with me today. Thanks for sharing.

    I hope you & your hubby are having a great time with your company. FYI - I couldn't get to the Hub from the link on my page as usual, but I could access it through Google Reader. There weren't nearly as many links there as usual so I suspect lots of folks had trouble accessing it today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always loved nr 12, nr 13 is new to me and it's great!!
    Have fun with your company :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good thoughts. I think I need to hang on to number 12.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wisdom does not need to be reinventred - just learned and followed. In our area, not many people have learned # 12 and too few of us practice # 13. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great quotes. It's fascinating to see how alive Confucianism is in China, even today.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Incredible post, Anni! I don't think I've read quotes by Confucius before ... it's usually Buddha.

    "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves." SO WISE!

    Thanks for your TT! :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Okay, Anni, I was right. I whined yesterday because I couldn't see your pictures..today..there they all are, as pretty as can be!!

    I love your list today. I love #13 but #9 struck a chord too! I got a kick out of Sandy's joke. I know quite a few but I've never heard that one!! LOL

    Enjoy your company!

    Hugs,
    Hope

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anni,

    I am late getting here, but glad I didn't miss this one. It is awesome and I love #13.

    Thank you so much for your kindness and support while Michelle was in hospital. Yes, she conned the doctor into letting her come home. She had met all the criteria and since SIL and Brandon would both be there, the doctor said okay.

    Take care, my friend, and enjoy your company.

    Blessings,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete

.