“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
CLICK IMAGES FOR ENLARGEMENT SLIDESHOW
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Weren't we just talking about insurance policies? Seems talk of this nature always comes up during hurricane season. And we received a phone call from our home owners insurance stating that at the expiration date of our year's policy, they will be giving us coastal areas, each county from Galveston and Houston to Brownsville, Texas, the same 'state standard' insurance for windstorms. I've heard horror stories of people still not having a home, all because of insurance companies acting fraudulently.

After clarifying what the State of Texas is now allowing and chosing how to handle claims for wind damage and flooding from tropical storms, I understood a bit more. I still can't help but having the gut feeling of somewhere we're being cheated, and that the state and all the insurance companies along the coast [14 counties included] are in cahoots!

But, after hanging up, I was thinking of insurance. Life insurance, Homeowners AND auto insurance. Years ago with things so simply stated in policies and contracts, it was a snap to legally make a claim, get the money, have the repairs done...etc. etc. etc. All this thinking and discussing made me think of how simple it was to just call the agent, and say ---"We want our teenagers added to our policy for the autos". In one or two days, we had our new policies in the mail, and they were covered. So easy, so simple. Now-a-days you need family histories from decades. Which reminds me of ME teaching our kids to drive.

Our daughter was easy to teach, and a quick learner. At first I took her out on a country road that was hardly used ever except for logging trucks and such...nearly abandoned most of the year. We had hills to practice on, gravel compostion, parking on hills, etc. She did wonderfully. And in parking lots in town, when they were vacant...to teach her parallel parking, etc. She passed her testing with flying colors, and no driver's ed involved. I was a good teacher! Then, in 3 years' time, it was the moment of truth ---afterall, I had a great deal of confidence in my ability to teach our kids, it was the hour for me to take our son out on the country roads, etc. And pass on my skills and knowledge to him. I had fond memories of how fantasticly our first born did.....but was I wrong in my premature assumptions! Our son, tho confident I was at the beginning, released the clutch and gave it 'gas' as I demonstrated to him with a manual transmission ---but lord love a duck, he had a very HEAVY foot!! Before I knew what was happening, all I could see was the cement abutment coming closer and closer --a dry canal just off the side of the road! I choked, and then yelled ----"Step on the brake" Step on the brake!! Luckily he was not too panicked at my tone, and did stop the vehicle just inches before smashing into the abutment!! After we both calmed down, I simply got out, walked over and stated "You're not ready...move over, we're going home". My heart raced all the way home! You know the expression, "if you fall off the horse, get back on?" Well, this ol' nag wasn't going to allow anyone get on my nerves another time that day.

Needless to say, he had to go to a driver's training school, on my insistence. I didn't want to get him behind the wheel again while I was the passenger, 'til I knew he was more capable, and understanding the concept of skill in handling a vehicle!! And in the end, he did good too, got his license and they were insured!! And may I add, thank god for automatic transmissions. LOL

<><><>

A man is driving down a deserted stretch of highway when he notices a sign out of the corner of his eye. It reads:
SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS
HOUSE OF PROSTITUTION
10 MILES
He thinks this is a figment of his imagination and drives on without second thought. Soon he sees another sign which reads:
SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS
HOUSE OF PROSTITUTION
5 MILES
Suddenly he begins to realize that these signs are for real and drives past a third sign saying:
SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS
HOUSE OF PROSTITUTION
NEXT RIGHT
His curiosity gets the best of him, and he pulls into the drive. On the far side of the parking lot is a stone building with a small sign next to the door reading:
SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS
He climbs the steps and rings the bell. The door is answered by a nun in a long black habit who asks, "What may we do for you my son?"
He answers, "I saw your signs along the highway and was interested in possibly doing business...."
"Very well, my son. Please follow me." He is led through many winding passages and is soon quite disoriented. The nun stops at a closed door and tells the man, "Please knock on this door."
He does so, and another nun in a long habit, holding a tin cup, answers the door. This nun instructs, "Please place $100 in the cup, then go through the large wooden door at the end of the hallway."
He puts $100 in the cup, eagerly trots down the hall, and slips through the door pulling it shut behind him. The door locks, and he finds himself back in the parking lot facing another sign:
GO IN PEACE.
YOU HAVE JUST BEEN SCREWED BY THE SISTERS OF ST. FRANCIS.
SERVES YOU RIGHT, YOU SINNER

8 comments :

  1. Our windstorm insurance is due August 21st and you are correct there is not reason to shop for a better price because there is not one. Such is life on the coast I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P J? So, this is new to me...our homeowners insurance covered it before this next expiration...all one policy. But they told me it's now with the Texas Windstorm Insurance for the STATE? Is that what y'all have? From the state?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, that's all you can get and lets hope we don't need to "try" to use it because who knows if we can recoup...:(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh! I have heard this is how Wind and Flood insurance is in Florida too! And it IS hard to recoup! Insurance is such a farce!

    LOVE that joke! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL at the joke, that is too funny! hehe Our house and car insurance was due at the end of this month...$2,899.00 for the year. I think it's such a big farce. If you get anything stolen or have an accident and you claim it on your insurance...your insurance goes up...so a lot of people don't want to claim it...which makes me wonder WHY are we even paying it then??? Just a vicious circle. Both my boys went to driving school to learn, I didn't have the courage to teach them! lol xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha! That's a keeper. Got to watch those nuns. I live next door to 3 of them. They never let their 2 dogs poop on their property, but they let them go on everybody else's.
    Oh dear,,where I live in Canada I have fire insurance & theft on my house and it costs me less than 500 a year. The insurance agents are all thieves...just try and collect.
    And no, both my sons went to driver's ed....didn't have the stomach, and my will to live was strong.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heehee, I've had that Sisters of St Francis one before, but it's still a good joke.

    Insurance is a headache now, isn't it? You pay your premiums (high) then when you come to claim, it's a totally different ball game. Gives me the sh*ts.

    There's no way I would teach my kids to drive. They had to find someone else to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the information on topics.I was excited for this article.
    Thank you again.

    Insurance information for good ideas.

    ReplyDelete

.