A Change of Season in South Texas....


In the township of Corpus Christi, the trees that line the streets and decorate the yards are mostly palm or live oak. These two are evergreen.  On the city properties very few have trees that go dormant with the change of seasons. Yes, we do have seasons in the South, but a whole different scenario than up north. Rarely does it snow. We, in nearly two decades of residing here, have had only two snow storms. They last a few hours and when the sun comes out for the day...the snow is gone in the blink of an eye. But, if I want to go see the color changes, I know just where to go after a cold snap. A couple weeks ago, we had temperatures drop into the high 20s in the northern tier of the city and low to mid 30s in my neck of the woods...WOODS...I drive to Pollywog Ponds. It's a wildlife sanctuary that is heavily wooded with deciduous trees...trees that have leaves that change colors in the season and drop for winter. Well, your winter in the north is our autumn. On the recent quiet Sunday, foggy and misty, I figured there would be very little bird activity so, instead, I drove to see the trees before all the leaves were shed. And sure 'nough, I saw lots of color changes.  As I tallied my daily step count, it was beautiful!!!




...more to come in another post.

26 comments:

  1. Very pretty. I've always loved all the fall colors but it just doesn't last long enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some years we have very little color change

      Delete
  2. Hello, the fall colors are beautiful. I think I have mentioned on another one of your post that I like the name of this sanctuary. It is a cute name. Enjoy your day, happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the name of the area too. :-)

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous shots!!
    Have a great 2020!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Long time, no see! Thanks ... And have a great 2020 yourself!

      Delete
  4. we have a few trees, like right now in January there are a few homes that planted Maples. they are starting to drop leaves now. we don't have many that drop their leaves, we are below in the sub tropic part of FL. all the trees in your photos are beautiful, green and colorful. I love trees in whatever season they are, from bare to beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maple trees don't do well here (they actually need a hard freeze)...or so I'm told.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos! I remember the Poinsettias blooming when we'd come to visit. I just don't remember if it was in the fall or at Christmastime. Thank you and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only seen them planted in ground in San Antonio. Blooming when they want to...no season in particular

      Delete
  6. I ALWAYS look forward to autumn colors. Feeling very lucky to live here where the four seasons are so different. Mother Nature sure knows how to please the eye and the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have four seasons too. Warm, hot, hotter, & unbearable.

      Delete
  7. You certainly have better color than we had. We had a brown fall but then brown is a color so I shouldn't complain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! My favorite is the third down on the right! Tall,elegant yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It doesn't matter if it is down where you live or up here, those colorful leaves are always a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will take colored leaves anywhere I can get them! These pops of color are so attractive with the dreary weather we had today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dreary day...beautiful trees to perk up the spirits.

      Delete
  11. Yes, they are very pretty, and I learned something today. I didn't know you have so many deciduous trees so far south!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you know where to look, you can find 'em.

      Delete
  12. Sure are pretty colors.
    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. : )

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents