my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




...shadows


"Pelican Island"...
part of our back yard




CONNECTING TO:



_ _ _


SUNDAY'S SUMMARY


Well, kind of a mediocre week this week; odd jobs and getting a few things done. There are two exterior doors that needed repairing for I don't know how long!!! Repairing may not be the right word in this case, but it's been on my mind for a long time. You see, I go out in the garage to do laundry...that is where the washer and dryer are. And when it's suffering hot, after I close the kitchen door that takes me into the garage, I could see 'daylight' along the part where the door handle and locking mechanism [latch] was....meaning all that expensive precious air conditioning was seeping through the house into the garage. So, finally, Bud and I put up a new door frame around the door!!! Now it's sealed tight. In fact a bit too tight since we have to really push to get the door to latch closed. LOL. I'd rather push hard than to have all that wasted cool air going into the garage. The exterior back door that takes us out to the back yard and patio is the same. We bought the equipment to repair that one, and will begin working on that in the upcoming week I hope. Thing is, this one has to have the door open to the great outdoors...the mosquitoes are just waiting to be invited in. Maybe we'll wait 'til Autumn for this repair job. If we do work on it this coming week or next, we'll have to figure out how to canvas the doorway to keep mosquitoes out and cats in. I then worked a couple of days on some genealogy research. So far I have gone back in time to the late 1700s/early 1800s on my BIL's side of the family. I think he'll be pleased, if not at least....surprised. I am getting prepared to scan some photos of my sister and sneak in a few photos I found online of my BIL's "life". I found his name on an Alumni of High School graduation that I'm sure he had no idea was there....and a photo of the old school. He's getting on up there in years, so the school is/was from way back in time. Speaking of mosquitoes...we took a couple hours here and there to drive into the city around the parks to see if we could find any birds. I posted photos on my bird blog last week of a rare WOOD STORK  [<--link to view this stork] we saw on the west Campus of Corpus Christi A&M University hiking trail that goes around the bay. I was thrilled to come upon that huge bird [wing span over 5 feet or more].  And for the new week ahead, I worked on posting the Courting Dance Ritual of the Checkered Pigeons I captured in photos for my Bird Blog [click on the sidebar link "I'd Rather B Birdin" logo to view on Sunday since I post a new blog each Sunday].  This week, at one of the city parks, we found and I photographed a Great Crested Flycatcher [has a tufted head...the feathers]...it was really pretty with its yellow belly. We drove to Port Aranasas Texas and walked along the newest bird reserve [photo insert is one of the most recently built observation decks along the trail] and saw quite a few 'new' birds for us. This area is just opened this year; a lot of people don't know about it yet.....Bud and I found White Ibis [and a dark juvenile white ibis] - I took photos but they're a bit blurry since they took off so quickly mainly 'cause I was on the boardwalk and out in the open with nothing to 'hide' behind....they saw me comin', a juvenile snowy egret...what a cutie that was....all leg and hardly a body at all. The mother egret was busy catching the catch of the day to feed it. We found two nighthawks blending in so well with the tree bark, we almost missed them. If you enlarge this photo to the left margin...the one of the boardwalk that meanders throughout the reserve, you'll be able to spot three white ibises in the green fields above the corner of the walkway. As we turned around to head back to the car after about two hours of walking....several kingbirds entertained us along the boardwalk---they'd flit from tree branch to the next tree and branches just ahead of us...keeping us in their vision...all the way back. I got several photos of them. In fact, probably too many, but with their beautiful color markings of gray, yellow, white and black, I couldn't help myself. About 100 yards from the parking lot, back to the car, we were invaded by a swarm of mosquitoes...no insect spray worked!!! They smelled human blood and feasted. When we do some driving for a goodly distance, we make it a plan to go out to lunch and this time it was no different. We stopped at our favorite deli and shared a colossal pastrami on rye with provolone cheese, chips and kosher pickles. Dessert was frozen yogurt in a cone. As always for the week, if possible, I like to cook a large quantity of something that will last the two of us for two meals or three sometimes....this week I used the crock pot and slow cooked some chicken breasts. After they were thoroughly cooked, I broke up the pieces of chicken, added pecans halves, chopped celery, and dried cranberries to make chicken salad. We made sandwiches for three days from what I cooked, using crusty bread french rolls. Our desserts at home this week have been melons that we purchased at the farmer's markets around town. The new book I'm reading now is Promised Lands by Elizabeth Crook - about the Texas Rebellion of 1836. I'm learning to read some new Spanish throughout this book by the Mexican conversations mixed into the novel. So far, so good. I just realized that this is my youngest, older brother's 68th birthday [the 14th...] I must call him!! And that about covers my week....accomplishing little, but still jobs of work that have been on the 'honeydew' list for months.

24 comments :

  1. Wow, that was some writing, Anni. By the time I made my way to the end I lost track of the first part, but it was pretty darn interesting while I was there, I'm sure of it! You reminded me I've got some cantaloupe in the fridge to enjoy myself. See ya later! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was still editing it....I like to reread my posts after they've been published [yes, I check 'em while I'm composing, but sometimes my brain and fingers are not in sync]. Love cantaloupe, I do.

      Delete
  2. I do love your Pelican Island, Anni! What a delightful shadow shot for the day! Hope your weekend is going well! Have some cantaloupe for me, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Your back yard is beautiful and perfect for the shadow shot. I'm thinking some chicken salad sounds pretty good this week after reading about yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your accomplishing little actually involves a variety of experiences! Love all these bits and pieces of your week! The pelican island is a cute little sanctuary in your backyard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...like an oasis in the middle of the grass sea. LOL

      Delete
  5. I'm sure the pelican appreciates the shadows, especially when the sun decides to bear down hard!

    First Lights & Shadows

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...I guess it would if it were real instead of cement. LOL

      Delete
  6. I like that Z shaped walkway at the aviary is beautiful, perhaps perfect for a wheelchair...I notice things like that, and to be able yo glimpse an egret or such as close to its habitat as possible - so nice! I notice our garage door has a few gaps, perhaps Cameron can address these before he goes back to the U-of-Hartford in August. Homes never lack for repairs, do they??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, they ARE wheel chair accessible!!!

      Delete
  7. what fun bird watching...love the observation tower. great shadows of your pelicans!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...oh it IS fun. And getting outdoors and exercise too, that helps!!

      Delete
  8. That's a wonderful shadow shot.

    My Shadows
    Have a blessed Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your pelican island in your back yard. That is really cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...the birds like it too [real birds...there is a small bird bath in there too]

      Delete
  10. Great shadows for the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drool over your berries with your shadow shots today.

      Delete
  11. Great shadows of pelicans

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...glad you liked the photo Tammy.

      Delete

.