First....I detest time change! As I type this up it's only 10 a.m. and lunch shoulda been served hours ago. I wish the government would get their thumbs out of their butts and set it one way or another and let people live without having to adjust their lives every 6 months. Just when our system gets settled we have to stop and rearrange our habits. It's been proven more lives are lost because of this...both human and animals. And we ARE NOT saving energy one bit; both physical and material energy. Every 6 months I write my congressmen and voice my opinion. Perhaps someday they'll listen?!!
_ _ _
Okay, I step down from the podium and begin my Sunday morning walk in the park post...
I got my chores done after breakfast [dishes, cleaning the kitchen counters, etc.] and decided it's been a while since I walked the curvy, hilly, pathways at Guth Park just off the interstate highway northwest of town. I drove there, but stopping at an area at the end of the ship channel's basin "turnstile" or turning circle [where ships hafta go to turn around to head back out of the port...dunno the nautical term].
Usually there are a lot of water birds hanging around in that spot. Yet, when I do go there, I make sure it's on a Sunday. This highway. Joe Fulton Corridor, is used mostly by heavy trucking traffic [18 wheelers] to the port of call to dock and unload/load cargo onto or from the tankers and cargo ships. Trust me when I say 'they own the road'...and don't slow down!! Sundays are usually pretty quiet if I go early enough.

On this particular day, the small number of birds along the mudflats and ponds was minimal. I didn't stay long...walking a short distance on both sides of the highway, up and down, snapping photos a few times, and sucking in my breath, hoping to not see an 18 wheeler barreling down my way at 65MPH so I could cross the road and get back in the car safely.


Once back in the car, I head to the park. This particular park has miles of paved paths, very hilly, and full of interests for everyone. Picnic tables, duck pond, benches galore, swimming pool, Disk Golf Course, playgrounds, senior center, and yep....birds! But, once again, migrants were not heard or seen. I am thinking that they had a different route to get to their wintering habitat because of the extreme drought through central USA. Anyway, I walked uphill, downhill, and up again. At one time, after the sun broke from the clouds the heat of the morning began to drain my energy. I sat on a bench and scanned the treetops for any birds.



I saw two vultures soaring above, cowbirds, grackles, sparrows and starlings. The sky and the trees were the highlight for now. In fact I saw one extraordinary cloud formation**!!! Got a photo!! [below] I walked to the duck pond....Up and down more hills, back to the car and left for home with the AC running full blast. Another hot day.
**This was the best 'bird' I've ever seen!!! Can you see it? At first what came to mind was the phoenix rising from the fire, but then after looking at it when I got home...more an eagle?!!
Maritime Glossary

The scenery is just so great. Love the clouds and the trees.
ReplyDeleteIt's a nice park.
DeleteLove the cloud formations and the bird photo. I am glad you are safe birding near the road, the trucks go very fast around here. Take care, have a great day!
ReplyDeleteThe drivers can make you feel threatened all too often!
DeleteI am right there with you on the time change. Falling back doesn't bother me as much as springing ahead does but still lets pick one and stick with it.
ReplyDeleteMy first though was eagle when I saw that cloud. That is really cool.
Oh and it was Cyndi Lauper who sang Girls just want to have fun.
Thanks for giving me her name!
DeleteAnni, I agree with you about the time change. Personally, I prefer this time change because I like it getting dark early (yes, I know I'm in the minority when it comes to that, just as I am when it comes to preferring being colder to hotter. Not a fan of summer. LOVE the fall and winter). But you're right, they do need to set it one way or the other. And this year I totally forget to adjust my digital alarm clock before I went to bed, so I woke up an hour earlier than I needed to for work. Oy vey!
ReplyDeleteYou're photos (as usual) are faaaaaaabulous! And the one you captured of the "eagle" cloud is beyond brilliant!
*thunderous applause*
Have an awesome day, my friend!
Well then, if that's the case, I too am part of the minority ...I like the early dark evenings.
DeleteWe are not fans of DST either and we wish they would just leave it be! We see the eagle!
ReplyDeleteAgreed
DeleteEagle was my first thought! we are with you, just pick one, either one and leave it. this is the first time I have not done a post complaining about time change. My friend since Jr High emailed and said Are you ok?? you did not complain about the time change. You always complaing loudly.. I said the answer is, the traffic is so bad at 7:20 when I walk Beau, and walking at 6:20 without traffic made me so happy I forgot to complain. I am with you, I keep thinking I have to get lunch ready and look at the clock and it is 9:15 or 9:30
ReplyDeleteYour system runs by the click too, huh?
DeleteI would like DST to disappear, too. However, they are currently considering making DST permanent and I'd like standard time made permanent. DST would mean it's still dark at 8:00 AM in December. Sounds like you got quite the workout in your walk through the park. And I definitely see the eagle in the cloud! Great catch with your eyes.
ReplyDeleteDisappear..
DeleteYes!!!
Oh yes indeed Anni I detest time change too. I don't care which one the pick but I wish they would settle on JUST one w/no more changes.
ReplyDeleteYou had a very pretty day for your stroll and bird watching.
That cloud looks like an eagle. good sighting
Hugs cecilia
I prefer standard time, but would be happy with either, permanently
DeleteFinally getting Callie's and my stomachs adjusted to the delayed eating. I say, just pick one--I don't care.
ReplyDeleteLove that eagle cloud.
Droughts are hard on us but it must be brutal on the wildlife. And they don't even know why?
Wildlife suffers too.
DeleteTime change doesn't affect me but it is a nuisance to keep changing the clocks. What is the bird with the dark head in photo #3? Yes that sure is an eagle in the sky! Neat!
ReplyDeleteMost of our clocks are set to change automatically...which is nice.
DeleteOops not a dark head but a wingtip as I look closer.
ReplyDeleteWhite ibis
DeleteYes to both but I do think it favors the Eagle..I love seeing things in the clouds.
ReplyDeleteThat was quite a walk you took and the photos are great.
Sue
P.S. I too dislike the time change .. just settle on one time and leave it there!!!
DeleteSue
Yep...one time...year 'round
DeleteEagle
DeleteAgreed
Great pictures! I don't mind the time changes. I would vote for standard time all year long first, changing twice a year second, DST third.
ReplyDeleteMe too standard time.
DeleteAn amazing shape cloud, I do see an eagle.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
🦅
DeleteThat cloud looks amazing, what a great catch. They change so quickly. Fun to see all the sights you shared, thank you Anni.
ReplyDeleteThanks
DeleteWow! I totally agree with both Phoenix and Eagle! And you had a beautiful walk. I love your embossed Heron header, it looks so textured and three dimensional.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much Ginny
DeleteI could just ditto Ginny's comments above. Definitely an eagle and wow on your new header!
ReplyDeleteThanks Mary
DeleteThat has to be an eagle. What a wonderful capture!
ReplyDelete🦅
DeleteYes, I do see the eagle!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm not crazy about the time change either. We can always move to Arizona or Hawaii where they don't change the time. :)
Lived in AZ and still had some issues. 'cause family having time change, I never knew a good time to call. 🙂
DeleteThat is the most amazing cloud! I do see the eagle. And how cool that you would see it while bird watching!
ReplyDeleteI so agree on the time change. Yes, more people die or have health issues when it changes and I don't know a person who likes it. I don't understand why it's so hard to just stop it.
So hard on our systems! Thanks
DeleteI'm having a lot of trouble adjusting to the time change too. Apparently we ( here in BC) are waiting for you ( U.S.) to change before we do. At least 3 provinces have gotten tired of waiting and went ahead and cancelled the time change. I sure wish we would too.
ReplyDeleteI like the picture of all the egrets ( at least I think that's what they are).
Granny Marigold
At least there is more progress with some of Canada.
DeleteThe time change rediculousness... someone, somewhere must make money, because of it.
ReplyDeleteSezzzzzz I....
🍎❤🍎❤🍎❤🍎
🍎❤🍎❤🍎❤🍎❤🍎
Or the government wants to tell us how to live...that doesn't surprise you, does it?
DeleteDeSantis.... ☺
ReplyDeleteYep
DeleteI'm telling you... it's an eagle taking to the skies proudly after giving you a good morning look :-))
ReplyDeleteWonderfull... I like.
Warm greetings.
Hello,
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, thank you for your opening comments. I AGREE!!!! My husband does not think the government will ever decide regarding the Sunshine Bill, because they can not handle giving up control.
I do see it. Amazing!!
I like his thinking!!!!
DeleteAs I understand there no reason for us to either bump our clocks one way or anther. I just want the clocks to stay put. Such pretty birds. It been cold last little bit in North Idaho.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
You and me both! One way or another, just all year long.
DeleteThanks for your comments and concern for Dave and I. Driving wasn't quite as bad as I had anticipated. Its always hard for me to drive my hubby .. my insecurities always blossom. But...
ReplyDeletewe made it and home again too. He was starving by the time we got out of the surgery place...fasting from dinner time the night before.
Went and ate at In n Out..he was one happy guy.
Slept good last night and things are much "brighter" today..(:0)
Sue
I would need FOOD too. Thanks for the update Sue
Delete