I'm Being Crafty....


...I've been accused of being crafty! In a whole 'nother sense. But this time, I chose to work on a piece of driftwood that I found while walking the shores of the beach in Port Aransas. I saw the round 'knot' area of the wood and thought it's ideal for what I've been wanting to try [a pom pom]. I've seen many online, coveting them, but never ordered any. I thought I'd give it 'a go' first to see if I could create something out of 'nothing'.

I cleaned off the sand, allowed it to dry for several days before beginning. Then, I asked Bud to let me borrow his carving knife. Not wanting to do much whittling, but enough to get the shape of a nose!! Of course the nose is not even close to a cherry described in " 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' -a bit more bumpy if you ask me. LOL

I chisled, I sanded, I painted with my acrylic paints, I touched up here and there, and when finished I sprayed an acrylic sealer [gloss]. His beard is too long, but the jolly ol' elf IS ANCIENT. His beard just keeps growing and growing...




PS...Congrats to the Houston Astros: World Series Champions.

57 comments:

  1. What an awesome creation!!! You have such amazing vision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very crafty. This looks like a well-polished creation that it would take me forever to come up with

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the long beard and I love Santas. I did not see a Santa coming in that piece of wood. you are indeed crafty and oh so talented

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much to be thankful here with your kind words.

      Delete
  4. This is wonderful and you are so crafty, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are crafty. Love the Santa! Take care, enjoy your day! Have a great new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you are enjoying your week Eileen...thanks

      Delete
  6. WOW, I love this. His extra long beard is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With your artistic talent, your comment is all the more appreciated.

      Delete
  7. BRAVO, Anni! *thunderous applause* I LOVE what you created out of the driftwood. You are beyond crafty. You are a crafty extraordinaire!!! And I love the gloss you painted over the jolly ol' elf!

    And congrats on the Houston Astros! Even though the Phillies were playing, I was so hoping that they wouldn't win because Philadelphia sport fans are truly the worst. Whenever they've won (World Series/Super Bowl), they literally destroyed our city. However, whenever they lose, they stay absolutely silent. So needless to say, I was BEYOND happy when they lost. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ron. Ya, I agree with your city's sports teams.

      Delete
  8. What a great creation! I expect fabulous stuff from you, and you continue to produce wonders for the eye and mind to enjoy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. And you saw that delightful Santa from a block of wood? Beyond crafty--talented.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another impressive creation that came together beautifully to create this long-bearded Santa! Congrats to the Astros. . . again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhh :-))) yes. You did very well. Congratulations on this beautiful work.
    Christmas is not far away... the gingerbread market in our little town showed me that yesterday. It was wonderful to stroll there.
    Your red tablecloth is also very pretty...
    p.s. I like the long beard :-)))
    many greetings from Viola

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too like your driftwood Santa. Love it when people 'see something' others may not... and even more if they can make that vision real. Congrats, Anni! You are definitely an artist (but you knew that).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool crafting!!!!

    Congratulations to your 'Boys'!!!!

    🍁💛🍁💛🍁💛🍁

    ReplyDelete
  14. The true eye of an artist is very special. You have it! Wonderful example here.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anni your mind's eye see so many things that are thankfully transferred to you very skilled hands. WOW x 100. Sandy Claws is beautiful
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just hollered at my B to come see what Crafty Anni did....he too is in awe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW... I love it.

    Congratulations to your home-team. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous11/07/2022

    His nose is perfect for him and so is his exceedingly long beard. This Santa could be the first in a series!!
    Years ago I did a similar craft after gathering pieces of driftwood. Maybe I'll look where I stored it and put it out in time for Christmas. GM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to find more and do more...thanks GM

      Delete
  19. Anonymous11/07/2022

    Great job! The Santa was completely unexpected. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your kindness anon(?)

      Delete
  20. He looks fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was perusing my own blog and was reading old comments of back in the day. There yours were...I clicked on it and here I am..it has been awhile. I am not sure how I have lost touch with so many blogging friends. I am so happy to see you still posting and the elf with the long beard you made is amazing. I love him! I am not sure if you remember me, but I am coming by to say hello and I will back.
    xo
    Julieann

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are crafty! That turned out very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  23. How creative and special this is!! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am grateful for your positive feedback Linda

      Delete
  24. Love the ultra long beard!
    You're so creative, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I like this very much. I think you should keep your eyes out for more driftwood and use it for lots of projects. Maybe even use a lighter coat of paint to let the natural beauty of the wood shine through when possible so that the raw material can be appreciated along with your skill.
    Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always looking for those "special" pieces. Thanks!

      Delete
  26. I love this and your original creation. The things you make remind me so much of the kind of things my Daddy used to do. He was always puttering and making something out of "nothing"
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like it, especially the long beard :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  28. I saw your comment on my post about your comments going to spam. I checked and there were no other comments from you. Crazy and frustrating! I've had it happen to me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm And I recall the "approval caption" after I clicked publish. Oh well...life is mysterious these days. Especially with blogger. 😁

      Delete
  29. Wow! You created something truly amazing out of a piece of driftwood! I love what you did with it!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents