Revamped Park...


Not much happenin' around Hootin' Anni's this week. Bud and I have been doing a lot of yard work...trying to catch up on what we ignored during the 100 degree temps during the summer months. And believe me, it was a lot of work!! Days of work. Hot work!! [lol]
Sunday Morning, early, I took a short drive to Portland, Texas. Indian Point Park has been closed for several months, and on our local news, they aired an article on the fact it has been reopened! During Migration it's an excellent birding 'hot spot'. The town revamped the pier and did a lot of restyling of the area; including a new pavilion and resurfacing the fishing pier. I wasn't much impressed. The old area was more classical 'old school feeling'; wooden building, cement and wooden pier, etc. This new construction [the roofing] lights up at night, and the pier lights glow green for night fishing!] Now, not only did they tear out the observation deck for birding the bay, they kinda disappointed me some.  I'm hoping eventually a new deck will be built.  I guess that's progress! I figure this:  Ignore the bird watchers and consider the large sum of revenue coming in with fishermen. Here are some photos [a couple shows the city skyline across the bay and the new expansion bridge construction]...




46 comments:

  1. It's really a shame that the so called improvements are disappointing. Except maybe not for those who enjoy fishing at night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay. But not at all what I expected. 😊

      Delete
  2. Doing the "hot" walk is still good way to get physical. I admire the beautiful artwork you photograph by the sea

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am ready for some NOT HOT weather, but yes, Ian is LOOMING.. I just pray he is not Bob's birthday present this coming week end. we will get weather no matter the way he chooses.
    I have noticed here, each time THEY improve the water front parks, they do this same thing. they ruined our two favorite bird preserves my improving it. glad you got all that HOT work done in the yard, we are doing a little at a time, neither of us can work more than a couple of hours in this heat. yesterday at noon it was 93, very unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yard work? I think I tried that once. I didn't like it much.
    New and improved is usually not as good as the old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FAB collection of photographs, Anni! I really like those metal dome-like coverings. So many times, the images you share of where you live in Texas, remind me of living in South Florida. And speaking of hot weather, we finally got some relief yesterday, where the weather turned Autumnish. I was so happy too, because I finally got to wear a light jacket. Soooooo glad summer is over.

    Have a terrific weekend, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like 'em at all. And, I don't know why.

      Delete
  6. So weird that they would tear out an observation platform for apparently no reason. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was pretty rickety. But no signs of replacing or new landscaping that area.

      Delete
  7. I guess bird watchers don't hold the same clout as fishermen. Such a shame about the observation deck going. Maybe and editorial or two in the newspaper??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking seriously of writing the city of Portland and voicing my opinion. Parks & Rec should hear from us birders...I'm not the only one!

      Delete
    2. Morning Anni it was 52 in Raleigh this am!!
      WAY better than 100. I am a fall and spring kinda gal.
      Oh my that new structure reminds me of the Sydney opera house.
      Hugs to you B and bossman Isaiah.
      Cecilia

      Delete
    3. Me too on the opera house...maybe opera or theater, but a fishing pier???

      Delete
  8. Sometimes more is less and less is more. Change and updates can be disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously it was liked by many. Me? Not so much.

      Delete
  9. Hummmmmm - not sure I'm liking the new pavillion but your photos are beautiful as always, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, money-money-money! That's all that matters to the majority of the world, Anni. Nature and natural things be damned. I'm glad your special spot is open once again though. At least 3 of your pictures look "natural", showing off Mother Nature's handy work...instead of man's. ~Andrea xoxoxo PS~ We're putting off our yard cleanup until after October 1st. How's that for procrastinating?!!! :-O

      Delete
    2. Indeed...all about the almighty dollar!!

      Delete
  10. I'm with you on the pavilion. It just doesn't go with the area. I hope you do write and maybe get something started.
    Hot yard work isn't my favorite but it has to be done. Next on our agenda is getting that big backyard lawn cut. We are waiting for the temps. to come down some and actually waiting until we get some energy to do it. This old gray mare ain't what she used to be!!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9/24/2022

    Thanks for the pictures, but I'm sorry about the changes. 🙁

    ReplyDelete
  12. No observation deck! How sad! I found it interesting that our meteorologist showed a line on radar just ahead of the cold front that passed through here on the first day of fall. He commented that it looked like rain but that it was actually dust, debris, and bugs. Then the following day he reported that the strong winds brought millions of migrating birds into Arkansas. I have known for a long time that the little hummingbirds fly with northerly winds. I wonder who was counting all those birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here between August & November they have trained counters.

      Delete
  13. I hate when they take away all the charm of a place. I hope they put up a new deck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...charm!! That word is perfect.

      Delete
  14. Anonymous9/24/2022

    Umm, nope, not my cuppa either. I do believe, though, that I may have reached that place where I swore I'd never be: Not seeing much good in the "new" and "improved" version of things. There is a venerable beauty and character in certain things that just can't be improved upon. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too bad about the changes but it's always about the money, isn't it? Love the pictures with the sun and trees!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not much of an improvement when what you enjoy is eliminated from the landscape! :-( I love that photo where the sunlight glistens on the water. Perhaps the platform will come in with the next round of improvements?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Improvement does NOT always mean better.
    Still your photos are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I feel a bit heartbroken for you....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At that area, it's not about birding. I'm bummed

      Delete
  19. thank you so much, for your good wishes...

    🍁🌰🍂🌻🍂🌰🍁

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wanted to say thank you, for your sweet reply to my quick post. Hugs, hugs, hugs.... but now I don't see a post by me. did I go to your other blog by mistake again? Duhhhhh meeee. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it in the spam folder go blogger!

      Delete
  21. Park pride! Thanks for visiting my new website!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Progress isn't always progress in my humble opinion. Glad you got your work done. I wouldn't be in 100 degree heat doing yard work either. My son and daughter-in-law have been in Austin this past week, combining business with pleasure. Enjoyed your photos as always. Have a great week Anni.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a shame. Especially about the observation deck being removed.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents