

You see, while the crew was digging the holes in order for placing the piers under the foundation, the ground breaking and hitting the soil so close to the house made one of our pictures on the wall; fall to the floor. Okay, the placement of a chair, in front of the picture, for reading [our library] is in the corner and on an angle. Behind the chair, I thought, was a safe place to put my Halloween Witch Hat Clock. Out of harm's way where it wouldn't get broken...ever. Guess what? Yep, the heavy framed print fell right on the brim of the witch's hat!! Broke it. Shattered! I was going to throw it away and search Amazon for a new one just like it. Well, I found the exact clock! But...thing is, the price was jacked up nearly 500% of what I paid for it years ago. [the price tag was/is still on my broken one] No way was I gonna pay that price. I then decided to piece it all together...collecting the shards on the carpet. That was something I wouldn't wish for on my worst enemy...super glue, fingers, and small pieces don't work well together. I again was ready to throw it out. But then, I got an idea. A wonderful, awful, idea.....get some air dry clay and patch it up.

I cut a piece of screen and glued that to cover the large gap on the underside of the brim. Went inside and removed all the super glue on my fingers, and opened my clay I purchased at Michael's Crafts. Started to place the clay over the screen. So far, so good! There is still a lot of experimenting and sanding and matching paint, but I think it will suffice. The $10 clay and my time is less expensive than a used clock thru Amazon. And that is not figuring in shipping and handling!!! Keeping my fingers crossed this repair project works. My luck tho, once it is complete [thinking positive], the clock will no longer keep time [not so positive]. LOL
In the interim [72 hours for clay to dry sufficiently], I took a short walk along the Oso Bay Wetlands Park the other day. At the time I arrived, one of the ponds was nearly covered with open white water lilies. I went snap happy! They were all so pretty and delicate looking. The stillness of the morning enhanced the quiet solitude of the walk for me. I enjoyed the silence and birdsong too...
That is the kind of luck I would have. I don't know that I would have thought of repairing it with the air dry clay though. Looking forward to seeing how your work turns out.
ReplyDeleteThose water lilies are beautiful.
Me too. I hope it looks "as good as new".
DeleteI am sorry to hear about your Witches Hat clock, it is cute. I hope your repair works well. The waterlilies are gorgeous. Happy Sunday, have a great new week!
ReplyDeleteThanks...happy Sunday to you too Eileen.
DeleteI am so happy that you will be able to fix your witch hat clock! The water lilies are just gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry to hear about the witch hat clock (witch is brilliant, btw), but I don't blame you one bit. There is no way I would pay that escalated price. And kudos to you for the repaid job. Well done!
DeleteGorgeous water lily captures, Anni! They're picture perfect!
Happy Sunday!
Ron...I hope this will work...and it will keep time.
DeleteYou are so enterprising! Congrats and kudos to you.
ReplyDeleteThanks D J
DeleteHow clever you are to do that repair!!!
ReplyDeleteThe water lilies are beautiful.
Thanks Karen
DeleteHow could you NOT try to make this repair? Your efforts and ingenuity are admirable. The water lilies are gorgeous and exceptional. I love them all!
ReplyDelete...and try I will. Besides it gives me something to do. 😊
DeleteHad to Google air dry clay. Sounds much less messy and tiresome than super glue. Hope it works for you.
ReplyDeleteNo fingers sticking where and when I don't want. lol
DeleteLooks like your repair is going to work out perfectly! I hope the clock still works! Love the pics of the water lilies!
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed! Thanks.
DeleteAnni you have the most talented paws. WOW well done and I bet $$$ to Donuts this repair will be better than it was originally. Very pretty water lilies feels as if I could touch them
ReplyDeleteHugs Cecilia
Not better, but whole once again.
DeleteAren't waterlilies just so lovely? Ours are about done so now I can enjoy yours.
ReplyDeleteToo bad about your witches hat clock but aren't you clever to fix it with some kind of clay!!!
Yes they are beauties!!
DeleteThe Water Lilies are gorgeous. Your repair job looks very good, what a stroke of genius! I want to see it when you are finished. What a freak accident!
ReplyDeleteI'll be sure to show the end result.
DeleteOh it will be just fine, and will now definitely be one of a kind. You will be doubly proud of this special piece.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely one of a kind. Nobody else would want it. 🎃
DeleteThe water lilies are so beautiful! So sorry about your clock, but good for you for figuring out a way to fix it!
ReplyDeleteIt looks a bit shabby but it'll do
DeleteI know your heart sank when that picture fell!! You are so clever, though! I hope your fix works! That makes your clock even MORE interesting! So you have your fall things out now? Or does that witch hat clock stay displayed year round?
ReplyDeleteNo...anything pertaining to Halloween Comes out for the season only.
DeleteI'm sorry about the clock, and I hope your idea works. I love the water lilies!
ReplyDeleteI hope it works too.
DeleteSo sorry to hear the damage the clock sustained. Sounds like you made the appropriate fix. I think it is better in the long run as the older one has more sentimental meaning than one bought on Amazon. Bought probably decades before Amazon came to being. Those water lilies are so pristine and beautiful.
ReplyDeleteWell no experimenting to repair it would be my loss.
DeleteThe lilies are lovely. Have a great week!
ReplyDeleteSharon, my comment I tried posting on your blog was not accepted (3 times)
DeleteIf anyone can fix a shattered witch's hat clock it's Anni!!!!! But what a sad happening to begin with. Ugh! ((((((((gentle hugs))))))))) ~Andrea xoxo
ReplyDeleteI was near tears.
DeleteWow, what a creative solution to your favorite hat clock. I know it will be fine because you are an artist. Hope the clock still works too.
ReplyDeleteThe peace that your water lilies photos brings you will be some solace for the witch hat.
Love them all.
Sue
The lilies did calm me down some, true!
DeleteI think we may be living parallel lives Miss Anni... A freak gust of wind toppled my crow/skull bird bath breaking the crow off. I have been pondering fixes but the thought of epoxy doesn't thrill me. I am not too clever with things that have a "messy" potential. 😳 We'll see. Fingers crossed your fix works brilliantly. I positively ADORE that clock!!! Those water lilies (and your photos of them) are incredible!! ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)
ReplyDeleteOh no!! Is The Bird bath cement? What material? That's not a happy experience,I know!!
DeleteNo, not cement...resin??
DeleteHmmmm, should work with the clay as I fixed the clock then!!!
DeleteI hope the repair works...and that the clock still keeps time.
ReplyDeleteHow could you not go snap happy with water lilies!!! They are beautiful.
Thanks!!
Delete