Sometimes....


....it's not all about birds and birding. I do take photos of other critters, I just don't post them often. But, today since I have nothing of importance to share, I thought I'd put up some of my "other passions" besided flowers and birds. Ready? Set? Go.......One morning, walking the jetty in Port Aransas, I had to ask the two gentlemen fishermen just what this species of fish was. I had never seen a fish with yellow tail and fins. They gladly informed me it was a "Jack Fish"...Crevalle jack. I guess - once I got home, and researched them, they must be good to eat. Lucky Catch!!!

Here....lizard, lizard, lizard! Actually, it was teasing Isaiah. If the patio door glass wasn't in his way he'd consumed some lizard sushi no doubt. And I'd be cleaning up gato vomito!!



Next up was a drive along the dunes to reach Padre Island National Seashore Federal Park. When I arrived at the park's cotillion and parking lot, several deer were foraging for their morning meal. A couple stopped to watch me watch them!! So much beauty and tranquility early in the morning with these special critters and the nearby sea.


Of course, I'm on the look-out for birds during all this "other photography". At a pond, in search of waterfowl, in nearby Flour Bluff Texas [a suburb of Corpus], a couple of cattle were vying for the rights of territory or perhaps a female closeby? I really don't know. I focused on the two rivals mostly! After minutes of jousting the superiorities they both gave up and went back to grazing like nothing out of the ordinary just ocurred. It was like T-t-t-t-h-at's ALL folks.


...to be continued

55 comments:

  1. I am impressed that you captured a real cattle fight! I have never heard of this fish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never heard of the fish, or seen one before.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of that fish before. You sure do see a lot of different critters. Those are pretty cool pictures of the cattle fight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Annie
    The fish looks huge, I would thinking the men were happy with their catch. Love the cute Lizard, deer and the bulls fighting is a neat sighting. Great photos. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anni, what a great variety of photographs you shared today! The lizard reminded me of living in Florida because lizards/chameleons are plentiful. My two cats would go crazy for them if they ever got into my apartment, which is why I would try to catch them and place them outside before my cats turned them into lizard stew. LOL!

    OUTSTANDING action captures of the cattle jousting.

    Have an awesome Tuesday, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isaiah has a cockroach fetish ...I don't

      Delete
  5. love your mini komoto dragon. Bob and the fisherman here throw those Jacks back in, he says they are Junk Fish, fishy taste and a gazillion bones. no way to filet without bones. he said they are fun to catch and release. my favorite today is the last one of the two cows in the water. silly guys, just like humans. I am the opposite of you. when in the wilds I look for 4 legged critters and sometimes stumble on birds. Diane and I did good together, she looked up for birds, I looked down and around. we pointed out to the other what we would have missed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would expect fish to have a fishy taste. I guess it's to each their own.

      Delete
  6. Lots of variety today. I feel the same way you do about deer. They are serene and calm-looking, and they often make me feel that way when I observe them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have eaten a few yellow Jack in my day and they are quite good.
    Loved the head to head cow fight. Been around cows a lot but have never caught that action.
    Had to laugh at Gato Vomito. Sounds much classier in Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's much better said, than seen. Spanish or not.🤮

      Delete
  8. WOW Anni what a great post full of sightings. Fishy fishy on the hook will make a tasty meal.
    The bulls were impressive.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm beginning to think it was just a test run on fighting. They look young.

      Delete
  9. Good pictures to see here! I especially like the last one of the splashing bulls. Wonder if the Jack fish is the same as what we call here the Yellowtail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows...I'm not much on fish info

      Delete
  10. Who knew cattle could be so aggressive! That is one big fish and it will make a yummy fish dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the cattle, jousting for a bit, and then just going to eat.... LOL Humans should try this...

    🌸 🌼 🌸 🌼 🌸

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humans would probably take it a step further these days.

      Delete
  12. I've not seen a Jack Fish before. Pretty neat that it has a yellow tail and fins!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never heard of a Jack Fish before, and now I know. The lizard is cute but I’m glad you kept the door closed ;) Those deer are cute too! I miss seeing them, there haven’t been a lot around lately. Great action shots on the cattle. They look like they could do some damage with those horns.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous5/03/2022

    Interesting pictures. That is too funny about the cattle. You hVE TO WONDER WHAT CAUSED THEM TO JUST WALK AWAY FROM A DISPUTE. IF THAT’S WHAT IT WAS.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You were given the perfect opportunity to capture this joust and you capitalized on it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous5/03/2022

    My...the things you see!! Like "Arkansas Patti," I've been around cattle all my life but have never seen a bullfight (well...other than Spain)... Perhaps it is because, usually, in these parts at least, there is only one bull in a herd. ~Robin~ (TheCrankyCrow)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it was just "play"...I'll never know.

      Delete
  17. You had good timing to catch those cows fighting! I enjoyed your critter pics today!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Replies
    1. 😊. How is the fire situation today?

      Delete
  19. May 4th
    I posted a question, today...
    🌸 💗 🌸 💗 🌸 💗 🌸 💗 🌸

    ReplyDelete
  20. Anni I love them all. I have heard of Jack fish but don't think I have ever tasted it. Great capture.
    Wow, that lizard is huge..good thing the door was closed for both of your sakes.
    Love the jousting cattle too.
    About the most excitement coming our way today is doing some grocery shopping...I can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that was meant to be sarcastic...I dread going grocery shopping!

      Delete
    2. Absolutely sarcastic..(:0) One good thing though, I found a dress for my Granddaughter's wedding in 2 weeks. Now I am so relieved ...now on to other things...
      Sue

      Delete
  21. It was in spam...crazy blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has been a lot of spam here too!

      Delete
  22. my kind of pictures, love them, I love to fish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd love it down here...fishing is a big sport!

      Delete
  23. Don't you wish 'anonymous' commenters would at least sign if not their name then a nickname?
    I enjoyed your pictures. On the one and only fishing expedition I ever went on I caught a couple of Jack fish but they were smaller than the one you photographed and mine didn't have a yellow tail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first I've ever seen with yellow in all my 70+ years. Yes, it'd be nice to know who's commenting.

      Delete
  24. I have heard of Jack fish but never looked them up...you get to see a lot in your morning search for birds.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Never heard of Jack Fish before but I bet they taste good! Love all your pictures. I can just imagine the peaceful time watching those beautiful deer! Funny about the cows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So peaceful...always, for some reason.

      Delete
  26. The fish looks really good sized. I'm not much a fish eater, other than tuna salad or fish and chips, but was about to look up how to make fish taco's for dinner. It's Cinco de Mayo, so...we'll see how it goes. The lizard gives me the willies. Lizards and snakes and anything that slithers is not for me! Nice pictures of the deer and the cattle fight...wow. Talk about being at the right place at the right time. You got a great photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had fish tacos once when we were in San Diego CA...never again!! And I don't mind lizards, but snakes?!! I hate 'em.

      Delete
  27. Anonymous5/05/2022

    Beautiful photos. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate you giving me your name/blog addy!!

      Delete

Table of Contents