Buttermilk Skies....


For the next two weeks, I will be avoiding the drives/walks on the islands. This week it's Spring Break for grades k-12. Next week will be Spring Break for college students! The beaches will be crowded with families that are taking the week off work and hitting the shores. Next week, the beaches will be crowded with those that revel in drinking binges and all clad in bikinis and speedos. Not my cup of tea. So, I will find other areas that are less of an orgy. LOLOL
This last week one fine day, the breeze was balmy. A bit overcast, but a great morning to walk the hilly park just outside of town...West Güth Park. Here, I normally find Monk Parakeets and tho a bit early in the migration season, colorful migrant birds! As I walked along the paths I heard grackles, sparrows, flycatchers, parakeets, and woodpeckers singing to their heart's content. The pond was filled with ducks and geese and a few cormorants.
But as I walked, I began to pay attention to the winter barren trees. Normally, a lot of the trees around the Coastal Bend are more or less evergreen. With the lack of beneficial rains, the trees are more like up North!! And the sky was like curdled milk with the buttermilk clouds!





Nature is fine this time of year!


The lady squirrel watched me approach for some time before taking off into the low lying grasses. I found one lone sunflower and couldn't help thinking of the national flower of Ukraine! I think I'll never see a sunflower without thinking of the recent turmoil in the world and the war between Russia and Ukraine. And hope that this doesn't escalate into a world war!! I try to think in a positive way, but it's very difficult right now.  How can one help but be dismayed with the outcome so far?!  I know I'm being selfish in my thoughts, but gas prices [oil price per barrel has reached $130!], groceries [I think a lot of this is price gouging].  It's going to be difficult for those with families in the world, but as I said...selfish in my thoughts, 'cause those dealing with Putin's invasion has it a lot worse than I do.  


PS...while I was uploading my photos off my camera card, showing Bud what birds I found on Sunday morning, the keyboard stopped working on my laptop!!  At first I thought it was the battery in my mouse...I replaced it with a new one.  Still, the keyboard was not functioning!  I was able to shut it down and tried to reboot.  Nothing but a black screen!  Working on the Fkeys, I was finally able to get logged in...then, the screen was so dark I could barely see anything.  Got that fixed!  Told Bud what happened, and he was watching the streaming of NCIS Los Angeles and he said his phone went blank!!  All about the same time I was in the keyboard hell....maybe a hacker from Russia?  Or perhaps a tower went down in Corpus?  I'm hoping it was a local issue!!

62 comments:

  1. good grief, what a weird thing with your power. I hope this was just an isolated fluke! Yes, I am concerned about this turning into a world war! I think it was wise not to grant the no-fly zone. Your trees and sky shots are great, and so artistic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nature at its best winter dress here in South Texas

      Delete
  2. Well, first of all - those first four photos should win a prize somewhere! They are so beautiful!
    I agree - Spring Break at the beach is somewhere I would NOT want to be! Spring Break here will be at the ranch with the Bells visiting our camper cabin and tent camping inside the fenced yard.
    I join you in prayer for Ukraine.....morning, afternoon and evening....

    ReplyDelete
  3. UGH, spring break sounds like a real pain in the butt. Love those pictures of the trees.
    That was odd with your keyboard and screens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pain. I want to be by the water. It's a long two weeks for me.

      Delete
  4. "Next week, the beaches will be crowded with those that revel in drinking binges and all clad in bikinis and speedos. Not my cup of tea. So, I will find other areas that are less of an orgy. LOLOL"

    OMG Anni, that CRACKED ME UP because when I lived in South Florida, that's exactly how it was when Spring Break arrived!! It was as if the entire area was invaded with craziness.

    Your photos are beautiful. I love me a nice overcast day. It makes for a gorgeous sky!

    " And the sky was like curdled milk with the buttermilk clouds!"

    Loved that!

    Have a terrific Tuesday, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's bumper to bumper butts on the beach (if the weather is good). Well, you know.

      Delete
  5. Hello,
    Pretty sky captures. I would stay away from the crowds of spring break people too. I think we all could be hacked very easily, it is scary. The sunflowers will be a reminder of Ukraine. we use oil to heat our house, it will be very expensive to fill up our tank next time. Take care, enjoy your day and week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh, ya I bet heating oil has sky-rocketed!!

      Delete
  6. The sky was like "curdled milk"? What a description accompanied by the great images! I can definitely understand why you would want to stay away from the shores in the coming weeks. Thankfully, it seems like your computer problem was short-lived and won't happen again. Nice tribute in support of Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, everything is again hunky-dory with cpu. 😊

      Delete
  7. those trees are fantastic against the sky and you are right to stay away from spring breakers. Now i am wondering it it is here also... we stay off the streets during spring break. oh no on the black screen and it might be hackers, i have a post coming up that i got a link from .gov sayig cyber crime is here and Russias is messing with us because he hates us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was cold yesterday for some, so beaches were probably deserted.

      Delete
  8. forgot to mention that yesterday afternoon my computer was so slow i could not use PicMonkey and I tried all other devices and it was so slow it would not load between screens. it is good today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I had no problems so far today.

      Delete
  9. Don't blame you on passing on Spring Break. Normally wild but these kids have been penned up for two years--should be crazy times.
    Scary about your black screens. The threat of hackers does loom. So far no increase of Russian visitors---yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to think it was a tower glitch.

      Delete
  10. I bet it was wonderful to hear all those birds! And spring break is definitely a time to stay away from crowds of revelers. Love all your pictures, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anni what a 100% splendid description of the clouds. WOW I'm a buttermilk lover it is purrfect.
    I do not like sun, sand and water. I love the beach in the spring and fall BUT never when it is crowded. I hope you keyboard finds its way out of the black hole it fell in to.
    Just last Thursday I had a most odd happening on my WWF page. There is a chat bubble at the top right corner. IT just dropped in to a black hole somewhere. I've been to all the help sites nothing has restored it. The folks I chat with with playing WWF still have their chat ability.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you can find the chat room!!!

      Delete
  12. I love that third shot down! Love the sky in them all. It is hard to think right now. I don't want another world war, either. At the same time I am afraid of what happens if good people sit and do nothing. I just don't know what the answer is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answer to it all may never come (or be the right one).

      Delete
  13. I have photos that I took in SC that are close to exact ones of your trees and skies. There is just something about gnarly bare branches with buttermilk sky backgrounds! The spring break kids this year will surely be wilder than ever! Not a good thing. Hope you have no more glitches in your keyboard or screen! Scary.....and I want to help Ukraine more, somehow... This has got to stop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too...being "locked up" from COVID. But maybe costs will keep the crowds down.

      Delete
  14. Ahhh yes, 'tis the time of year, for all that Spring Break Stuff. Not nice time, to be near a beach.

    Went black! Yes, hope you find out it was a local issue.

    "Old Buttermilk Sky" - Hoagy Carmichael - YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOgrjd9NKF0

    Gentle hugs,
    🌸🐇🌸🐇🌸

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, an oldie but goodie. I haven't thought of that song for eons.

      Delete
  15. Your photos are just gorgeous, Anni! I hope covid doesn't spike with the spring break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that too. We don't hear much about covid these days.

      Delete
  16. I love the squirrel photo.

    It's astonishing to me how I'm so charmed by squirrels until they invade my bird feeders. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even mind them at our feeders. They gotta eat too.

      Delete
  17. Your photos are always so beautiful. THat squirrel is quite a cutie. We have them run across the power lines. We have found a few who fell. The dogs always come to get us as they love chasing along with the silly squirrels. The sky shots are lovely. Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, I hope its just an local issue and not some "hacking" going on..I sure wouldn't have known how to redo everything.
    What a banquet of birds you have in your area..I think I would go simply crazy snapping everything in sight.
    I LOVE YOUR "CURDLED" SKIES!!!
    What a word that so aptly describes the gorgeous skies.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just reminded me of sour, curdled milk. 😊

      Delete
  19. Those tree pictures are amazing and beautiful.
    Good idea to stay away from the beaches for a while!
    Love the sunflower. I will again try to grow some this year. Maybe I'll have better luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing your sunflowers.

      Delete
  20. I love the 'curdled milk' clouds and with that amazing twisted old tree in the foreground it makes for an awesome photo. I find the bare winter trees beautiful.
    Grocery prices have shot up and I feel for families. Milk has gone up to 5.39 for 4 litres. We here on the west coast have the highest gas prices. Last I checked we were just under 2.00 a litre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Expensive!! I can't help but think it's all about big corporations and love of profits.

      Delete
  21. I agree that the beach is not the place to be right now.
    Beautiful photos - such pretty trees and clouds.
    Crazy stuff with your laptop and Buds phone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an odd occurrence, which I hope doesn't happen again.

      Delete
  22. Those skies are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how you live watching the sky!!

      Delete
  23. I would have felt I had a generous dose of beauty simply with your description of the skies like curdled milk with buttermilk clouds...but the I saw the photo. Absolutely amazing Anni!! I cannot help think those trees look like October's trees here...somewhat foreboding and eery...but beautiful in their starkness. I don't blame you for dodging the spring breakers...way too peoplely for me. I guess that is one benefit to living here...NO ONE comes here for spring break LOL. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it could very well be an October sky!!
      I'm not peopley either!

      Delete
  24. I'm glad spring break doesn't last any longer than it does! What a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good morning to you. I enjoyed the photos very much. We both of us seem to take photos of similar things I love landscapes and I am a cloud maven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome. And Katie? I'm on my way to dine on the leftover salmon patties!!!!

      Delete
  26. Those tree against the sky pictures are beautiful and so dramatic! I'm sorry for the people of Ukraine also but at the risk of sounding selfish, we still have to live our lives over here! The price of everything is getting ridiculous! I filled my gas tank yesterday and now I don't even want to drive anywhere and use any of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep ...same here. $33. for 1/2 tank ...don't wanna use it 'cause next time it'll be even MORE!!

      Delete
  27. I do like the trees against the sky pictures, they are lovely.

    I think world-wide fuel prices are going up and up.
    I've also noticed it with our weekly food bill!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame we have to "pay the price"...butI have a home, a husband, food. Some don't. I'm lucky.

      Delete
  28. Your "curdled skies and buttermilk clouds" are wonderful, Anni. The trees reaching their winter limbs upward look like they're imploring (maybe hoping for spring...). We are inundated with spring breakers in Breckenridge most of March. We try to stay in our little bubble far away from them! Prices of everything in our resort area are always high and now getting higher. Like you, I think of the people of the world who must live in chaos, and I know that I'm lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there enough snow for skiing in Breckenridge? I imagine so. Yep, our own little bubbles are ideal this time of year. Hope you're doing well Barb.

      Delete
  29. I think I would be giving the beaches a miss for a while too Anni :) I have always loved how the trees look with their bare branches. You have captured them perfectly, gorgeous photos! Adorable squirrel photo and the sunflower is very poignant. I mentioned to someone a little while ago that I didn't think I would look at a sunflower in quite the same way again. I am just horrified what I have been learning of these awful goings on, but today was inspired by the courage of the people of Ukraine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all should be concerned of the situation. Need to find comfort in my privileged lifestyle, but it's difficult.

      Delete
  30. Arch break here is not bad. We hope to go to see maple sap running at a park on Saturday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on the area I guess. Here we have miles of beach access!!!

      Delete

Table of Contents