Smiley Face: Face to "Face"...


It's been typical wintry days here the past week or so. Damp, gray, dismal, and chilly! We are supposed to have a warm-up, with clearing skies for a couple of days, only to have another cold front move in for the week's end. Needless to say, I'm not getting the walking in that I should be doing. Sunday morning, tho, I had to get to the store for milk [if they had it in the coolers] so, I opted to stop along Ocean Drive and walk along the road to the Army/Navy base and peruse the mudflats for wintering waterfowl. I spotted hundreds of skimmers and brown pelicans, gulls, godwits, herons, grackles, sandpipers, dowitchers, terns, ducks, egrets, stilts, willets, and more birds. This is what else I saw...

Intermittent sun trying to come out, fog, nature's winter kill on many plants and wildflowers, etc.:


...as I walked, I could see in front of me, along the bay's shore, fog rolling in. It was swirling rapidly toward my face....beautiful!!

When, I was done, and my outer garment was damp with dew and clinging to me, my shoes heavily laden with mud from walking the mudflats, I headed toward the road to clean my shoes before getting in the car, only to sit on a boulder along the roadside, looking down, face to "face" [literally] with a saltwater, soaked, piece of plywood. Can you see the smiley face?!! I took it home. I would like to think it's a good omen for days to come!?!!
As the wood is drying out in the garage as of Sunday, I am inspecting it...no, it's NOT something carved in the wood...it's a natural phenomenon!! Eventually, I will clean it up, shellac it, and have it hung on the wall somewhere to remind me of a happy day ahead!!

50 comments:

  1. The smily face is small and right in the center, right? So cute! But your photo of the fog coming in is a masterpiece, glorious and wonderful. Totally dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enlarge the photo Ginny. You can then see it clearly. Yes near "dead center".

      Delete
  2. How cool is that. What a cute little smiley face that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😊...I couldn't resist adding a smiley face!

      Delete
  3. The fog is just beautiful and so is your gorgeous sky shot! Love the wood art, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is so much drama in that sky, do you agree?

      Delete
  4. I haven't been walking like I should-or doing much of anything. Have had some inflammatory issues that prevent it.
    That smiley face is amazing! You were meant to find that to put a bright spot in your day. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    Your bird sightings sound wonderful at the mudflats. I like the cute smiley face, great find. Pretty photos. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of birds that morning!!

      Happy birding to you Eileen!

      Delete
  6. i am trying to decide if the sun rays or the fog photo is my favorite. both are stunning and super finds on your mudflat walk. that is really amazing about the wood and will be beautiful when shellacked. so smiley faces ARE real, not just in our keyboards

    ReplyDelete
  7. A splendid series of photos showcasing a great outing! The photo with the crepuscular rays that radiate outward, like a "smile", from the heavens is stellar. The dead foliage evoke a sense of strength as they still stand tall through these winter months. A great idea to shellac the wood piece that you found. That smiley face sticks out like a sore thumb in the center of that knot. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, I admit, I had to look up the word crepuscular!! Alrighty then!! lol

      Delete
  8. Anni, these photos are beyond STUNNING! They look as though you shot them in sepia. The one with all the mist is just gorgeous. I'm one of those strange people who loves misty, overcast, grayish days. I find them so calming and relaxing.

    And yes!...I certainly do see the smiley face. That is so cool! And like you said, it's an omen of happy days to come.

    Have a super weekend, Anni!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's an omen of good days for us ALL!!

      Delete
  9. Awwww..... I *do* see the smiley face, Anni!! That was meant just for YOU! I love the picture of the ocean as well. Absolutely gorgeous as are all your photos! ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like a little snowman's head! We've had such bitter cold wind that I'm not getting any walking in, either. Perhaps, hopefully, today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's perfect!!!! And your plans for it, are also perfect. -smile-

    More gorgeous photos as always.

    Beautiful word-picture of the fog rolling in........ Yessssss.....

    🌲 🌲 🌲 🌲

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can see the smily face and I would have taken it home with me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's something that needed to be shared. Right?

      Delete
  13. Smiley face looks like he's on driftwood. Great find! The sun shining through the clouds and reflecting on the water is a wonderful calming photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, a piece of driftwood, but only plywood!

      Delete

  14. Anni I enjoyed taking a walk with you. I love fog!! So magical and birds.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love fog too... (except driving in it).... reminds me of 'the dragon's breath...'

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have the artist's eye !
    I love your smiley face and the whole piece of wood has so many wonderful details.
    I can't wait to see it shellaced and hanging somewhere.
    My Dad was always doing that sort of thing with driftwood, shells and odds and ends.
    I love it.
    The fog photos and sun streams are A++ too.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is taking forever for it to dry out enough to clean it. Can't wait to work on it.

      Delete
  17. I can see the smily face very clearly. Yes, that must be a good omen.
    Love foggy pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it is....and the whole year is full of smiles!?

      Delete
  18. Anni these photos are incredible works of art. And your description of your walk and the rolling, swirling, fog, the dampness, etc. is equally beautiful...so vivid I could imagine being there. I am one of those who loves dreary, foggy, days. While I do enjoy sunshine too, I find that a steady diet of it drains me....it's like I need the clouds/fog/rain to recharge. I am equally amazed by your knowledge of our feathered friends...and the variety you can encounter on a simple walk! I'd be hard-pressed I think to know but a dozen or so by sight. Must be part of your artistic gift. ~Robin~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .....and nearly 2 decades of birding helps.

      Delete
  19. Oh, my, you were surrounded by beauty! and yes, I did see the smiley face!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sometimes these special sights show up when we least expect them. I'm sure that wood will look great once you have added your loving touch.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your photos are so pretty! I see the smiley face and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes, I see the smiley face. Then the whole piece of plywood begins to look like a rock formation of the kind you see in the desert in the western United states.

    ReplyDelete
  23. How could you have even thought of driving past the Mudflats without stopping? How exciting to see so many wonderful birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an ideal spot during the winter months.

      Delete
  24. I especially like the sun, the fog, and the smiley face. I love smiley faces!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I did see the face I did :) I have a picture of a rock with a smile.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents