Whizzpopper!!


Several nights ago, I scoured the Netflix agenda for movies. We get Netflix free with our phone carrier. And if I find a movie we both would like to watch, I then cast it on to our big screen smartTV. I found one I knew I would like, but really figured Bud would not enjoy it. Surprisingly he loved watching it. Once, then twice! It's based on a popular young reader's book by Roald Dahl, and was directed by Steven Spielberg....produced by Disney. You just cannot go wrong with this combination in my opinion. A good 'family' movie; unlike any that Bud would've picked [he likes the shoot-em-ups most of all]. Anyway, I fell in love with it too. And fell in love with BFG [stands for Big Friendly Giant - a 24 foot giant]. To keep from any spoilers, I'll just say it's about a friendship between a sweet giant that talks in a whole 'nother language than English [which Dahl is famous for if you've read any his books to your kids/grandkids- His language is called Gobblefunk]. Let me give you an example of his language....He drinks a special sweet soda. But the bubbles descend, instead of flowing UP. Hence, it's not a BURP that comes up...it's the OTHER direction!! And he calls it a "Whizzpopper". It's the English word that begins with an "F" and ends in "T" with "ar" in the middle.

The next morning, I got my sketch pad out and started outlining the Giant's features [seen above]...

...and my finished sketch:


Anni's version of BFG

It was released in theaters about 5 years ago [maybe more], and if you get a chance and haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend it. Great story, Disney animation and spectacular art. And a good, all-over family fare, with a happy ending!

46 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this movie. The giant looks very kind! Hobby Lobby had tons of witch things, way too many for me to snap them all. There was a big display at the front door, and more in other places. Your store should be getting them soon, I am thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our Hobby Lobby stopped selling Halloween stuff altogether!

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a winner of a movie! I will check it out. Love your drawing. The Indian Pipes stay just like that until they disappear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's certainly a new plant for me!! Glad you showed pics of it. The movie is truly fun in my opinion.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a good movie. I don't have Netflix though. Suppose I could always go for their free trial so I can watch this :) Love your sketch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There may be a DVD out there. Free trial will work tho!!

      Delete
  4. First of all I have to say that your sketch is A-MAZING!!!! It's looks EXACTLY like the Giant. You are so very talented!

    And second of all I have to say that I had never heard of the movie, but checked out two trailers and instantly fell in love with the film. I also checked to see if the movie was listed on the FREE movie website that I frequent, and it was! So tonight I will be watching it. Can't wait!

    Thanks so much for the recommendation, Anni. Have a super Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great!! Hope you enjoy the movie as much as we did!! And, thanks Ron.

      Delete
  5. Hello Anni,

    I have Netflix, I will look for this movie. I never heard of it before your post. Great sketches!
    Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pretty sure you will enjoy it

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the recommend. I have seen snippets of that movie when it has been advertised. Always wondered about it. I have Netflix so will check it out. Great sketch! It really does look like the giant. Have you ever done a self portrait?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A couple maybe...Ithink I've shared them in the past (but they're not recent sketches).

      I think you will enjoy the movie

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you enjoyed the movie, Anni, and your sketch is absolutely beautiful!! ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will definitely watch that movie! Thanks for the recommendation. I'll find it even if I don't know the actual title of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed browsing the Gobblefunk Dictionary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun...and entertaining. I guess there is a published dictionary!!

      Delete
  10. Not something we would watch, not even me by myself. but i am loving your sketch of the giant. I did find a couple of movies that i tested on Bob and he watched and enjoyed, a shocker to me. the thing that is not a shocker is i can't remember what either of them was

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I remember, you like westerns??!

      Delete
  11. I think I saw that one a time back when we would at our grandson's place.
    you are very good at that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have seen the movie... and did enjoy it! I have watched a few lately on Netflix, some movies, some series. I love ATypical (a series), and just watched Justine, POMs, Blue Miracle, and To the Bone. Blue Miracle was my favorite of those 3. Love your sketch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have a hard time chosing since Mr Complainer doesn't like most of them listed

      Delete
  13. Sounds like a good movie to see. Glad I checked out your link as it showed the character you drew and your drawing is "spot-on".

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have seen it and it is delightful. So glad the both of you enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I would like it. What's surprising was Bud liking it too.

      Delete
  15. What a gifted artist you are!!! Love your sketch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...coming from you, that means the world to me Linda.

      Delete
  16. I'll see if I can find it to watch - maybe the library.
    Great drawing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. Hope if you DO find it, that you like it.

      Delete
  17. I haven't heard of Movie, maybe when in Sandpoint Library I will see if they have it.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  18. We watched BFG a few years ago and also thought it was wonderful! I agree, Dahl and Spielberg are a great combo. Nice sketch too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...a great combination. And Disney art & animation.

      Delete
  19. All I seem to watch are boring British fare and shows I *know* will not be upsetting. I am just so scared of unhappy events in movies. Bambi scarred me for life. I like your drawings of the BFG, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cry, but I get over it quickly I guess

      Delete
  20. My boys loved the Roald Dahl books and the BFG was a favourite. Of course, being boys, they loved the whole whizzpopper business. I must look for that movie.
    Great sketch!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...it's in the genes...Bud thought that was hilarious too

      Delete
  21. Great sketch! I'm glad your husband liked the movie too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised. But glad he enjoyed it.

      Delete
  22. I have never even heard of it so I will definitely be checking this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you find it, watch it, hope you like it!

      Delete
  23. Hootin' , I So Enjoy Your Updates - Enjoyable Evening Playing Catch Up - Big Hugs

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents