I mentioned the other day in a blog post that when it is too hot or raining [it's threatening rain right now with thunder and dark clouds overhead], I read, draw, or find something to keep my brain and idle hands active if only for a few minutes at a time. I can't sit long. Mostly just out of boredom and to me, even computers have become boring, since I'd rather be outdoors...when it's cool, and the sun is up and shining. Outdoors is my element. I'd rather be there than inside, home, doing nothing but sit, sit, sit. I allow my quiet time in the evening after all the work is done that is expected, while I enjoy a couple hours of a movie on Netflix or one of our DVD movies. Wednesday is my favorite TV night - Nature and Nova on PBS. Do any of the bloggers watch NATURE? Last week it was "Batman"...the guy was a little eccentric in my opinion [one time he mentioned he'd gladly nap on bat guano?!! I think not!!]...but the program was interesting. Long ago, I went spelunking with a Biology teacher and we found bats. He caught one, I held it...the wings are like velvet!!! Since that time, I've always enjoyed those and learning more. Anyway, I did start a sketch last week while it was raining heavily, but never finished until this morning...[Monday] adding some shading and using colored pencils to add "natural" colors. It's a Northern Flicker:
...and to continue showcasing my Trolls...
↓ My 19th Troll Share ↓
Holiday Themed Kiss Me I'm Irish! St. Patty's Day circa: 80s? |


Your Flicker is brilliant, and very lifelike. YES, we love and watch both Nova and Nature, and Masterpiece. We did see Batman. Did you know there is a lung disease you can get from breathing in too much bat guano? I have a friend whose hobby was caving, and her lungs got affected by it. Yes, the napping part kind of freaked me out! I think obsessed is not too strong a word to describe him.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely obsessed!!
DeleteLove your sketch of the Flicker.
ReplyDeleteNo, I don't watch Nature. Lately since all of the shows I watch are done for the season I've been watching CSI on Pluto (free streaming channel)
CSI? dunno this program
DeleteI have a hard time watching shows where an animal is being hunted because he's the next meal. Yes, I know that everybody has to eat. I just don't want to watch the kill.
ReplyDeleteI love your Northern Flicker!
I usually divert my eyes with the hunt/kill. Also, ANYthing with snakes!!
DeleteOh man, be careful of bats, Anni. It was my attempt in trying to rescue a bat that caused me to have to have a rabies series. I obviously wasn't careful enough and she bit me. Those little teeth are sharp! Your sketch is absolutely divine!!! Your sweet troll picture today is too. ~Andrea xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteThat spelunking trip was decades ago. Luckily, no biting took place.
DeleteI love your sketch of a bird as much as I love your pictures of a bird. We rarely get rain here so I don't have to figure out what I do when it rains I pretty much do the same thing when it rains or when it doesn't. Elsa's on her way supposed to get here sometime in the middle of the night unless you make Saturn she's coming right for us. I hope she stays a tropical storm
ReplyDeleteYes, I'm right there "with you" watching her track. I too hope for no intensifying once it leaves Cuba!!
DeleteI just checked our own demand and we have nature a whole bunch of them like three or four seasons so thanks for talkin about it because I'll tell Bob it's a and he can watch it while I read during a snowstorm assuming we keep our power
ReplyDeleteYou can watch them free...online also. Assuming battery operated.
DeleteYou are so talented, Anni! I love your very realistic flicker portrait.
ReplyDeleteThanks D J
DeleteWe were just observing northern flickers over the weekend. They're regular visitors to our lakehouse property and so pretty!
ReplyDeleteWe have a few...rarely seen!
DeleteYou definitely have a talent for drawing! Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteThank you Jeanette.
DeleteYou sure are talented Anni, it's gorgeous! I'm not sure if I ever watched that specific show. I don't watch a lot of TV, it's usually more background noise but I do often have nature shows on. Love your cute Irish Troll! :)
ReplyDeleteWe don't watch much TV at all. We get free Netflix with our phone carrier ... Mostly it's news then a DVD.
DeleteLike your flicker drawing - you certainly have talent.
ReplyDeleteWe haven't had television for quite a few years now.
We stopped cable YEARS ago after we realized we were spending hundreds on commercials!!
DeleteYou make good use of your time Anni and that Flicker is gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteThanks Denise!
DeleteLovely sketch...
ReplyDeleteAlso lovely that you want to be up and out and about. It should lengthen your life's enjoyment and health.
🍑💛🍑
Yep...being "cooped up" isn't me!
DeleteWith all your talents and interests being varied, I'm pretty sure you don't get bored. Love the sketch.
ReplyDeleteI try!!
DeleteBeautiful Flicker and great trolls...
ReplyDeleteThe TV and computer sure can be time consuming.
Sometimes I just sit and veg in front of the tv and totally waste time..mad at myself afterwards though.
Sue
I don't like to do that either. Life is way too short.
DeleteDefinitely a Nature watcher here on PBS and heard of the Bat special but couldn't watch it. I don't think I could lay on the bat guano. Ewwwwww! But that sketch of the Flicker is stellar! A beautiful creation.
ReplyDeleteThanks bunches!!!
DeleteThat's a really good sketch of a Flicker. With this heat and drought we're having we have extra visitors at the birdbath every day. One regular that we enjoy watching is a Northern Flicker.
ReplyDeleteI have little patience with most TV programs except for the nature ones. Lately I've been watching Ray Mears as he explores lesser known areas of the UK and its birds and animals. I don't mind if it's reruns; I probably didn't catch everything the first time around anyway.
I will have to check that program out...free tv?
DeleteYou tube
DeleteOk, thanks for the heads up!
DeleteGood for you to hold a bat. Not sure i really want to,
ReplyDeleteI was young! But, heck, I'd do it again!!
DeleteI always enjoy your drawings. We have Northern Flickers around here - very pretty birds!
ReplyDeleteThey are pretty!
DeleteHello there!
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to stop by and say thank you for taking the time to stop by my blog and introducing yourself. So nice to meet you!
You have an awesome blog! Love your sketch of the bird. Well done! I love the detail.
And when I scrolled down and saw your troll, I just about died because I used to collect trolls. I LOVE them! In fact, I used to style their hair and paint their finger and toe nails. LOL! I still have a few, but most of them I lost when moving.
I'm like you, I enjoy being outside. And I like the cooler weather too. Summer just about kills me because of the heat and humidity.
Again, nice to meet you!
Now, that would have been fun!!
DeleteHello Anni,
ReplyDeleteI love your Flicker sketch, well done! My hubby is a spelunker and has taken me along on his cave explorations. I do not care for bats, except for seeing them from a distance. The tight dark spaces are spooky too. The Irish Troll is cute.
Take care, have a happy day and week ahead.
The cave we traversed wasn't bad. (Of course age is the difference)
DeleteBeautiful artwork!
ReplyDeleteHave a blessed day!
Thanks Lea.
DeleteFor years the bats had homes over our front porch light. Then they disappeared. Now they're back, leaving a pile of droppings every morning. I just installed an electronic bat repeller - it worked last time. As for TV I do like Mountain Men, especially Tom and Eustace, even though much of the show is staged. It just appeals to me. Your artwork is still so very impressive!
ReplyDeleteNice to see you "out & about". I was wondering how you are.
DeleteAdjusting...
DeleteTakes time to heal & mend from the loss.
DeleteWhat an artistic talent! I love birds and bats. When I taught, I always had "bats" as a theme during the year, usually in October, to try and stop some of the prejudice about these creatures. I donate to a bat rescue near Austin, Texas. They do a lot for bats. Like you, I enjoy reading, and sometimes just sitting making crafts or jewelry in front of a window -- with the bird feeders up it is God's TV!
ReplyDeleteYes, they are cool creatures!! Good for you with supporting them.
DeleteThat is a very good sketch/drawing of the flicker.
ReplyDeleteLove the trolls hair colour, so suitable :)
All the best Jan
Thanks Jan
DeleteYou are so talented.
ReplyDeleteThanks.
DeleteYour drawing of the Northern Flicker is wonderful. How nice to be able to draw. I enjoy the outdoors, too. Have a great weekend. Mildred
ReplyDeleteThanks Mildred
Delete