The other day this past week, I drove to Port Aransas. I stopped at the 'hotspots' for birds, even tho, I was sure there would be only year 'round birds seen. No migrants yet...too early for the Fall Season. Anyway, I stopped at Leonabelle, Paradise Pond, and the ship channel and walked those areas. I then just drove around the Marina and along the road to Charlie's Pasture
Along the ship channel, a different ship was sailing out to the Gulf! Usually, the ships are not all that picturesque...mostly grubby, stinky, rusty, in dire need of a paint-job, and filled with oil. This one I spied was so clean I couldn't believe my eyes. Maybe it's 'cause its run by natural gas?!! Dunno. But, I was really quite impressed...Okay! Wait. I just looked it up:- VERNADSKY PROSPECT (IMO: 9843560) is a Crude Oil Tanker that was built in 2019 (2 years ago) and is sailing under the flag of Liberia. Its carrying capacity is 113310 t DWT [how much tonnage it can carry!] and her current draught is reported to be 9.1 meters. Her length overall (LOA) is 249.99 meters (820 feet) and her width is 44.04 meters (144 feet).
Well duh!! That explains why it's so pristine shape! It's NEW!! Oh, and by the way, it's on its way to the Netherlands and expected arrival is August 1st 0800.
source
Then, out of curiosity, I did some math.source
With the stats shown on the ship's website, I see that the DWT [dead weight in tonnage] is just shy of 114,000 tons.
I did some multiplication after seeing that one ton of crude oil is 7.33 barrels!
Multiply that 7.33 barrels by the tonnage [114,000] and you get 835,620 barrels on this ship....
Okay, if that's the case, and when I googled the price of one barrel of crude oil, it was [on that day- it flucuates daily with stock markets, etc.] $74.56 per barrel.
If full, that ship's oil cargo was worth and estimated -rounding off the tonnage- $62,303,827.20!!!!!
I think I need to buy a tanker.
...and to continue showcasing my Trolls...
↓ My 23rd Troll Share ↓
Holiday Themed Halloween -Grim Reaper circa: 80s? |





MAN, you are not only a great artist, but you are so good at MATH! Usually people are either logiacal and good at math, or very artistic. But not both. This Grim Reaper is kind of a Happy Reaper.
ReplyDeleteI love math!!
DeleteHello, Anni
ReplyDeleteNeat shots of the ship. You are good at math. Love the Halloween Troll.
Have a happy weekend!
Thanks so much Eileen.
DeleteThose numbers are mind boggling. That's a lot of oil
ReplyDelete...and to think of how many tankers in just one day. And dozens of port cities importing/exporting!!
DeleteWow - that is one huge ship with most impressive stats!
ReplyDeleteI thought so too. Of course, I love watching the ships come in, and go out. Especially if the dolphins guide 'em.
Deletei am impressed with your math skills, it is all I can do to figure the sq feet of my living room. it is a beautiful ship and my favorite photos is the first one of the water coming out by the propellor..
ReplyDeleteThat's the bow...one of two anchors.
DeleteI'm impressed with you math skills too. Now I have to run, I'm on my way out to go do some tanker shopping lol!
ReplyDeleteYou and me both!!😄🚢😄
DeleteLet's hope its hold is reinforced well and it keeps its cargo safe.
ReplyDeleteTrue...or pirates for ransom don't find it.
DeleteAs long as it was not _stuck_ in your channel!
ReplyDeleteHave you ever seen one of those tv shows, about those HUGGGGE cargo ships? Nope, don't think you have or watch tv. Anyway, they are quite something! Sort of *Showing* all those facts/figures you calculated. How amazing that such, can float!!!!
🌸✨🌸✨🌸
Supertankers? Yes, we've had a few com into port...they are colossal.
Deletehttp://hootin--anni.blogspot.com/2017/05/looks-like-we-made-it.html
Delete...One of my blog posts...
Impressive photography, impressive numbers and very impressive ship!
ReplyDeleteDid you notice a man aboard, on the deck in one of the photos?
DeleteSure did!
Delete😊
DeleteGreat job with the math. Wow, do you suppose if we all chipped in we could buy a tanker? Seems like an amazing investment. I've got an extra hundred I could kick in:)
ReplyDeleteNow that sounds like a winner!!
DeleteWOW...that total worth you shared after doing the math is ASTONISHING$$$$
ReplyDeleteGreat photos! We have a port here in Philadelphia along the Delaware River and I love going down there and just look at all the ships.
Have a great rest of your weekend!
I could easily take a beach chair and watch them all day.
DeleteHa ha oh yes, the cargo ships are usually pretty shabby and the tugs helping them are worse! But I love the tugs. I wonder where the sailor by the railing in your photo calls home -- I would be scared to go on a ship across the sea.
ReplyDeleteI seem to have list your blog!!?! Only a "testing" url link on your profile.
DeleteWas on a cruise ship across the gulf, and it wasn't bad at all. Of course rough sea wouldn't been a whole 'nother story.
That should be woulda (not wouldn't)
DeleteGood morning it's great viewing your post again it seems forever. Summer does get busy for blogging, and did I mention how much I enjoy your ship and water photos, as well as trolls yep I'm still a big fan of the good old trolls, and still have some from my childhood. Enjoy your weekend and stay safe!
ReplyDeleteNice to see you Karen!! Welcome back.
DeleteI definitely need to have one of those tankers in my wallet...
ReplyDeleteLove your mind set to figure out the money situation. Math isn't my forte so I will accept your findings and say " You go Girl"
You and me both. We need a purse full!!
Deletethat is so cool, I was never good in math.
ReplyDeletehave a safe weekend
Thanks. Enjoy your movies.
DeleteMy mouth is gapping open. No words will come out!! ~Andrea xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteIt's mind boggling.
DeleteThat's quite an impressive ship and carrying quite an impressive load of oil!!
ReplyDeleteVery impressive.
DeleteYour math skills are impressive. That's one subject I was never very good at.
ReplyDeleteGreat shots. My favorites are the top two--can't decide between them, and yes I do see the man on the deck of the one below.
Thanks for visiting Sandra.
DeleteFull marks on your Maths skills.
ReplyDeleteNice to see your photographs.
All the best Jan
Thanks Jan.
DeleteWOW that sure is an expensive load!!!
ReplyDeleteGood for you for figuring it all out!!
💵💰💵
DeleteI wonder what the operating cost of such a ship.
ReplyDeleteCoffee is on and stay safe
I wondered that too
DeleteThe ship does look really good. If I had that kind of moy, I would buy something other than a ship. Just saying .
ReplyDeleteThink big tho! lol
DeleteMath is not my friend! But I do admire those who are gifted along that line.
ReplyDeleteI would love to live near the coastline. I love looking at YOUR ships and water views and have been to many of the places you go in years past so I get to revisit them with you. Not birding - I didn't do much of that - but I love looking at the water....and the ships....and the birds...
If you ever return my way....
Delete😊
ReplyDeleteThank you Anni for your concern..Life just gets complicated sometimes.
ReplyDeleteHealth issues of some friends and extended family weigh heavy on me sometimes.
A good thing was a text from my son's wife Kellie's daughter..I know that's a mouthful but she called me Grandma Sue and that was special, since I'm not anyone biologically related to her...it's a wonderful step forward in my son's "new" life and family. I have called her Granddaughter all along but its hard for new families to get established. Sue
I hope that the health issues will resolve and have a good outcome. As for family issues, that lit up your heart some, I bet!
DeleteA royal beauty this ship is! And what a great zoom lens you had on the camera. Those are impressive close-ups! I always wondered why they shared that much information about a ship and its next destination. Makes it seem like they are setting themselves up for terrorists or pirates.
ReplyDeleteI've often thought the same.
DeleteThat certainly is a clean and beautiful looking tanker! After reading your math figuring I think I need to buy a tanker too!
ReplyDeleteThat makes two of us.
Delete