Table Top Garden...


I've been testing the waters, so to speak, with my new smartphone, and wi-fi connection and camera options [I like cameras...this one has so many nifty things...even a photo GPS!].  With our new senior plan, the internet connection GB are a lot less than what we previously had, so I think I'm not gonna like it much without a wi-fi connection and MORE internet browsing GB. We'll see. For now, today, instead of hotspot through the phone I'm going thru wi-fi. I guess. LOL...at least I think so. Not sure. Will find out sooner or later. With all phone carriers using hotspot, if after you use your allotted monthly giga-bytes the connection speed really slows down to a snail's pace. I cannot handle slow! I feel the need for speed!!

Anyway, it's been foggy for the last few days, I'm not going out, birding. Instead we work in the yard with winter kill clean-up for a couple of hours and call it quits for the day. There will be much more this year than the previous years, I do not lie!! But, I wanted to show you something...

For my birthday, my sister had shipped to me FEDex a "Table-top garden". She knows I love Spring flowers that we took for granted in Colorado. But, for here, zone 9, for planting such as daffodils, tulips, hyacinths...they don't do well at all. The bulbs rot in the ground with the water table being so high and warm ground. Hence, my "table-top garden"...

I kept it boxed in the garage during the 17 degree nights, and once that front moved out, I put it outdoors on the patio, and it's doing well...
The first to show signs of budding flowers were the hyacinths...
...and it didn't take long for a bee to find the blossoms!

48 comments:

  1. What a thoughtful and special gift. And it is doing so well! I hope you will post it now and then so we can see it's progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it continues to do well, I will.

      Delete
  2. Happy Spring, Anni!!!
    Your flowers celebrate that too!
    The little buds are tomorrow's promise ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well stated. Spring flowers are always a promise of beauty yet to come.

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful and most perfect gift!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a bit of fun with it & updating my sister.

      Delete
  4. A lovely thoughtful gift from your sister. And your blackbird is a stunner. Happy March to you Anni :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denise...happy March to you too!

      Delete
  5. very cool, hope you are staying warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a gray gloomy day, but comfortable temp, thanks.

      Delete
  6. What a nice gift. I can't wait to see sprig flowers again. I've always loved hyacinth. Every spring we used to get them in at the store and they would put some of them in the back by the deli/bakery. I love that scent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite spring flowers is the daffodil!

      Delete
  7. I want one! I want one! this is wonderful. did not know they existed. and it made it through the cold. what a super gift and the card is too.... about the wifi, calls and text don't eat your gigs, if you keep the data off and use only wifi. at home I keep it off and it is wifi. what eats the gigs is going online to look up things or find someting on a map... on my phone to turn the data on and off, pull down from the top, and again and tap the Mobile Data off or on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a lot more techy than I will ever be :)
    Such a thoughtful gift from you sister.
    If the 🐝's are hanging around that's a good sign.
    Have a great day🌞🐦

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope others will eventually bloom also. It's hard to say in this area of USA

      Delete
  9. I think about getting a smartphone if only for the camera. I have no cell service here so guess I'll have to wait. What a great idea with the tabletop garden and such a thoughtful gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely just a simple phone wouldwork for a camera, you'd think. Maybe not.

      Delete
  10. What a nice gift! I'm so glad it's doing well, it's so pretty and definitely says spring has arrived!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want Spring...but, not what follows ...lol

      Delete
  11. What a thoughtful gift. I love hyacinths; their fragrance really means Spring to me. Along with lilacs, that is what Spring smells like here in NEO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lilacs is another spring 'plant' that doesn't do well here.

      Delete
  12. Hello Anni, :=) A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you. Your Hyacinths are doing well. They where a lovely gift from your sister. The picture of the Blackbird is stunning, we only have all black ones here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not here for long...leaving all too soon for cooler climes.

      Delete
  13. Your bulb garden is going to be so gorgeous! I have a tip for you: If you buy bulbs in autumn, and place them in your fridge (hydrators are best)for 3 months, you can then plant them outside and they will bloom beautifully! We had a special drill attachement sized for bulbs and it made short work of drilling holes out and dropping a bulb down in it. But you are so right - this is a yearly effort as the bulbs rarely rebloom or survive after the season. But we were able to have lots of beautiful perennial bulbs such as amarylis, spider lilies, and magic lilies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carry on with the new phone! I'm just keeping life simple and am stubborn about the smart phones. Now people are GAMBLING on them! Awful! You have a wonderful tabletop garden to bring in Spring!! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of questionable activities with smart phones!!

      Delete
  15. One of my daughters got me a tabletop garden for Christmas and it sure was fun to watch...I hope you enjoy yours even half as much as I did mine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks like Spring is definitely on the way...I just love hyacinths.
    Your Sis sent you the perfect gift.
    Keep the photos coming of all the peeks into Spring.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite chilly & damp right now.

      Delete
  17. How refreshing to see after what you went through the last few weeks with the snow and cold temperatures! A great gift idea from your sister. Brings lots of color. Interesting information about why these flowers don't survive down there. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a great Table-Top Garden! Nothing like flowers for a taste of Springtime! With all the snow we have on the ground, it will be summer before we see any spring flowers. 😉 Great bird photos, the yellow headed blackbird is quite the looker!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a thoughtful gift! And I smiled at that alert bee who found the blossoms so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was there before the blossoms opened!!

      Delete
  20. The table-top garden is such a sweet gift. I am sure you will enjoy it to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the tabletop garden. Glad that it is doing well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the tabletop garden! It will bring you lots of joy this Spring.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely tabletop garden and such a great idea. Once the weather warms up here I have a LOT of deadfall to pick up to add to my fences. Should keep me busy for quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is a very nice table top garden, a lovely idea.

    Happy March Wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  25. The table top garden reminds me of one Kaitlin sent me for Mother's Day years ago. We ended up driving to Montana to visit Andy's mother and we brought the garden for her to enjoy too. It was special.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents