Monday, Monday...


More about this dog photo, later!! Well, I walked around the largest cemetery on Monday. No spring breakers there! lol The grounds workers were busy doing a lot of clean-up. Why even the 'evergreen' live oak trees were dropping their leaves. It's a mess there. The lanes meandering through the cemetery were ankle deep in leaves at some areas. The trees, for the most part were barren. This has been one odd winter. And I know that I keep talking about it, but it just continues to boggle my mind.




Now, about this dog...I noticed him sniffing graves. Really not paying much attention to me coming up behind him. I also noticed that it was part pit bull breed....you know the reputation they have, don't you? I kept walking, but still keeping my eyes and ears open for it coming up behind me. When I reached the corner of the road, I looked back over my shoulder, hoping I was now a safe distance from it. My guess-timation about 15 feet from where I first spotted it. Not all that far from the area. Not far at all. The walking time was about a minute at the most. When I turned around, expecting to see it following me...it was NOWHERE!! I looked to the ground thinking perhaps it laid down. Nope. I looked several feet in each direction. I looked across the street where the cemetery butts up against a park. Nope. To the right, to the left, my eyes circling in each direction; slowly. No movement, no dog!! The phantom dog!!!! A ghost?!!

I played a bit after I got home and resized the photos I took from my walk, and updated my profile image for my blog. The old one I used mostly is about 5-6 years ago, and really needed to be changed. I'm reading the computer screen and wearing my reading glasses. I thought maybe that was a good time 'cause the glasses mostly hide the crow's feet that dig deep into the corners of my eyes. Yep, it was certainly time for an updated change.
After done with that, I went out in the kitchen and began a long process of making an angel food cake for dessert after dinner.  The cake will be served with fresh wild blueberries and whipped cream.  It's been a long, long, time since I last made an angel food cake.  And now, I remember why.  Egg whites have to be whipped just right, and then, if you fold the whites into the batter too quickly, the cake isn't gonna turn out fluffy and light.  Oh, yes.  Now I remember!  Trust me, it'll be a long long time before I make one again.

At the cemetery, I heard one woodpecker, at a distance from where I walked and spotted only two birds, a white winged dove and a myrtle warbler [aka butter butt]


- - - -

PS...Kinda odd, talking about cemeteries and phantom dogs, and then the date pops into my mind as an important one in my life!! I just remembered: 53 years ago today [the 9th] Bud and I had our first dinner date!! Our very first date, actually.

I wore a black chiffon two piece suit, my amethyst pin. And the roses were from Bud. Wow, looking back in time...blond hair now white. Skinny, now? Well certainly not skinny any more. The weight gain has settled in areas I won't mention.

59 comments:

  1. That dog is certainly not a phantom! It's in your picture!
    53 years ago ... Where did the time go, Anni ?!
    You were very slim and handsome! But you still are like that, right?
    Hugs, beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...maybe the camera picked upon the apparition?!!👻🐕👻

      Delete
  2. I think I would have been a bit spooked by the dog. I would be expecting it to jump out from behind the next tombstone.
    I still look exactly the same as I did 20 or 30 years ago. Still slim and wrinkle free. Then I look in the mirror and the years come crashing back on top of me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still slim & wrinkle free? What's your secret? Okay, I know now what I should do....take down all the mirrors?!!

      Delete
  3. Hello, Anni

    I wonder if the dog was visiting it's owner buried in the cemetery. Love the birds and views, great photos. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that too...perhaps. But, where it was remains a mystery.

      Delete
  4. I'd have probably tried to befriend the dog. Interesting to speculate his purpose. Lots of ways for the story to go.
    Really like your new profile picture. I need to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not me. Now if the dog was a cat....

      Delete
  5. Ghost dog visiting his owner I suppose. I like your new profile photo Anni. I don't even recognize myself when I look in the mirror anymore. I love that you remember the details from your first date 53 years ago :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...it was the beginning of our life together.

      Delete
  6. The phantom dog intrigues me. I do like your style of reading glasses - sparkles! Is the second photo a bouquet of flowers that were in the cemetery? My mother made many wonderful angel food cakes but I never had much success with them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love both pictures, Anni... the current one and also the one taken on your first date. It's a good thing we don't know what our future holds, isn't it? We'd probably die of fright. I have a few of those "when I was young" pictures too, in all their innocence of what was to come. ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel blessed. I "caught" a good, gentle man.

      Delete
  8. Love the moody skies in a couple of those photos.

    I still recall what I wore on my first date with Rick, too. Not nearly as fancy as your outfit, though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like the new profile pic.. and love the dog of course, he probably laid down behind a bush or a head stone or even flat in the grass, or raced off to where he lives, i hope he has a place to live.
    yay for finding a space with out spring breakers. my hair looked just like that back then, and i went every Saturday and had it teased and sprayed and slept with it wrapped in toilet tissue to keep it that way, use a pick to lift it each morning. i have no clue the date of any dates with either husband. hummm wonder what that means. anything with numbers i can't remember, even new phone numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That picture of you on your first date is so sweet. And your new photo for the blog is lovely. A ghost dog? Maybe its owner had died, I thought and it came to the grave. But that seems a bit much. Some of the sweetest dogs I have known were pit bulls. So sad they have such a bad rep.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I forgot, I need to update my avatar photo for my blog as well. Mine is from my 73rd birthday and a lot has changed since then, including my face! Smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice picture of you on your first date! Not many people have remembrances like that! I wonder what happened to that dog?

    ReplyDelete
  13. The photo of the GREEN JAY is breathtaking! I also find your cemetery photos very atmospheric. The ghost dog was perhaps more afraid of you than you were of him ;-)
    Your profile photo looks perky (hope this is the right word - it means: I like it :-)). We all don't look like 53 years ago ;-) I was 6 years old then and had a lot less weight than today; -DDD
    All the best from Austria,
    Traude
    https://rostrose.blogspot.com/2021/03/ende-februar-anfang-marz-2021.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wonder what became of the dog?? Very strange...... Love the photo of your first date. Where does the time go?!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I’ve known a lot of sweet pit bulls too, some of them are love bugs...unfortunately not all are.

    I love your new picture. The gal in it looks more interesting to me than the younger one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seems like the poor dog was visiting his owner, glad he left you alone. Good that you remembered the date, I do too with our first date, way back in 1965, 56 years ago, whew!!! Great profile pic! Take care

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh what a cute and funny post! You were and are gorgeous. I think you look delightful in your new pic. The doggie might have been a spirit visitor, going to his master's grave to say hi. I certainly don't mind you talking about the winter weather and what it has left behind. I was just looking at dead palms, such a sight. I have never seen this before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either...all the brown just seems so odd.

      Delete
  18. I love walking in cemeteries, so peaceful; though I have had a few odd moments there. Perhaps I'll blog about it sometime. Nice pictures of the cemetery and the birds. Your new profile picture is quite nice. Mine is a couple of years old, taken when hubby and I were in Italy. Since you've updated your blog, thought I would mention the entire left side of your blog is blank/black and the actual pictures, and text only appear on the right side, not the full screen. Not sure why, but thought I'd mention it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no sidebar...everything normally on sidebars is below blog posts...and posts are aligned on the right.

      Delete
  19. Been there to that area...I understand!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Odd about the dog, but I'd rather have it disappear than come after me!!
    The cemeteries I walk around are very small - would be nice if they were bigger.
    Like your new picture. Mine is a couple of years old too, keeping my hair a bit longer now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True...I was glad it didn't come after me.

      Delete
  21. Looks like your day was filled with all kinds of excitement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary, somewhat. With the dog. In many ways.

      Delete
  22. I love that you have a photo from your first date! Beautiful!
    That cemetery looks like a pretty place. Very strange about the dog though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I loved getting ready for this date! who knew just what would become of it.

      Delete
  23. It really threw me is when you said your old profile picture was five or more years ago. It doesn't seem possible, I remember when you changed it then! Time sure flies. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. How interesting about the dog. Pretty photos at the cemetery. I like the style of your new glasses, they suit you. I recently sent for a pair specially for when viewing my laptop screen. I really notice the difference when I don’t wear them. They are clear but are a filter and help with my eyes, and they help a lot. I have never made an angel food cake. Sounds like a delicious dessert with the fruit added but maybe I will just go buy one after what you said. Loved that photo of you, what a pretty outfit, and the pin looks pretty on a black background. Enjoy the rest of your week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, even tho home baked tastes better, there is way too much effort & so easily "goofed up".

      Delete
  25. Oh my! Congratulations on the annimversary of that first date! So special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me the first date was a bigger thing ....even tho marriage is permanent, the first date was the beginning of it all!!

      Delete
  26. Hmmmmm, I do wonder what became of the dog, that is so strange.

    I like your new profile photograph and the one of your first date.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  27. You look fantastic in your glasses...a lovely photo!
    As for the dog we have Pit Bulls and German Shepherds in our family and they are wonderful dogs.
    But I am skeptical about dogs that I don't know and who don't know me. Even the tiny dogs.
    I always enjoy your photos...so perfect everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange dogs lurking silently always keeps me alert. Especially walking alone.

      Delete
  28. Hmmm...phantom dog..sounds like a murder mystery to me..
    I'm glad you could get out and go where there were no Spring Breakers...
    Love those glasses on you anyway.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! Take it easy now, y'hear?

      Delete
  29. First Date Photo, Amazing - New Profile Pix, Beautiful - Out Walking, Dynamite - Keep On Keeping On My Dear

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow, 53 years ago! WE will be celebrating 45 yrs this year...I do not remember the date of the first date though. It was the last weekend in June ....I cannot remember if a Fri night or Sat night, but I think Saturday because we both worked the evening shift.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents