Over the weekend and into next week, I will be HIBERNATING!!! Saturday and Sunday past, it rained heavily here. All day. Then the winds picked up and as I type this post, the wind is still blowing strongly. I am NOT a winter person. Bud and I had to bring in all our potted patio plants since we will be under a freeze warning until Thursday. It was 36° when I got up ...dunno if there was a freeze tho. In fact, just north of Houston, and in the San Antonio area of the hill country...it snowed! I'm not liking this weather. I get bored in home all the time. And I can't afford to get sick these days with hospitals/covid situation. I'm playing it safe, health-wise. Heart and lungs are weaker at my age. Reading and working puzzles are okay. But not all day. I even got so bored with no activity outdoors, I watched NFL games. Now that is a true sign of 'nothing to do'.
I made a big crock pot of chili. And then, I thought, what else can I bake? To keep busy, I made bread dough, then with that dough, I made a huge amount of crazy bread...enough for four loaves; one for dinner and three for the freezer. I got this recipe a long, long time ago [in the 70s] just 'cause it was so good. The recipe came from a pizza restaurant, Old Chicago. Anyway, you don't have to form it into loaves, just add the whipped raw eggs into a crater made in the dough, add grated cheese, chopped onion, and jalapeno peppers. Knead it all together, chopped the dough with a plastic 'chopper' implement, and pick up the chunks of dough, plop it on a baking sheet [I use a cookie sheet], let it rise and bake. It's delicious. Heavy, but oh so good. Especially with a piping hot bowl of vegetarian chili. [no meat was added to my chili 'cause of all the cheese and egg in the bread]I'll probably be writing up a lot of mix and match thoughts this week since I'm gonna be a home-body for some time. Did I mention how I detest cold?
Stay warm and have as much fun as possible...and share it with us, of course! I’m glad you’re taking good care of yourself.
ReplyDeleteWatching my health can be bit of a challenge...thanks Jean
DeleteI know exactly how you feel about the cold. Hope you find lots to keep you busy during your hibernation.
ReplyDeleteI still feel the shut-in, even if busy.
DeleteThe same weather here ...
ReplyDeleteMaybe better for us, we're still in lockdown!
Success with your activity!
I am hoping for Spring! ☺
DeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteI do not like walking in the cold and wind. We have trees falling over on days it is not windy. Your bread recipe sounds delicious. Take care, enjoy your day and have a great week ahead.
The wind is the cause for the trees falling
DeleteWe had snow too... here in North Texas. It's been a while since it's snowed here. It wasn't a lot, but pretty and heavy, but it didn't stay long (which may be the best kind). We stay in a lot (even before the Pandemic). I do miss being around the water. But I stay busy with reading, writing, pottery, sketching, quilting, baking, etc. - and I know you do a lot of this too. Your bread looks wonderful! Hope you don't have to stay in too long. I spend my winters by the fireplace (for the most part).
ReplyDeleteI think I will go out, cold or not, tomorrow...if it's not raining.
DeleteI've never heard of crazy bread before. It looks delicious!
ReplyDeleteThe bread sounds delicious! I'm right there with you on the cold weather, can't stand it! It's been so cold here in Florida lately too.
ReplyDeleteIt's been cold all over.
DeleteI detest the cold, too, and I'm a native Northeast Ohioan. You have my sympathies; it must be really awful for Southerners to get this kind of weather.
ReplyDeleteThank goodness it's not often.
DeleteI was wondering if you got any of the snow but it seems the nasty stuff you got was worse. It is just unpleasant without being pretty.
ReplyDeleteHang in there.
Indeed. But it's remaining chilly & damp.
Deletethat bread looks Devine to me. I LOVE BREAD.. might I suggest a little toss and throw out from closets or other spaces? you know I am on day 4 of doing that. so far 4 is a bust, nothing touched. i still have 5 things on my to do list. if you are like me, i do best when it is not gray and cold outside or raininig. that makes me sluggish and I don't want to go through STUff... we are not as cold as you but gray and cool.. our hihg today is 65 and no sun. bob says i have the shortest temp threshold he has ever knonw, my comofort zone is 60 to 76... below and I am cold above and i complain about the heat.
ReplyDeleteI clean closets & cupboards every spring & fall.
DeleteThat bread looks so good! With things like that going on, I know you will enjoy your hibernation. Or are you supposed to do nothing while you hibernate?
ReplyDeleteI'm getting real good at twiddling my thumbs...it's an art.
DeleteHello Anni, Cold is not for me also. It's grey and oh so cold here in the north of Portugal. It's the coldest winter we have ever had. Wish I could try some of that tasty looking bread, but I'm on a strict diet.I had my first alcoholic drink in seven months today, it does warm you from inside.:=)
ReplyDeleteYes, it does! Warms the innards.
DeletePlease pardon me if I -giggle-....
ReplyDeleteJust can't help it. I'm used to all sort of temps/weather because of living in the NE, with 4 seasons. Being a Daughter of Winter, I love it.
No, I don't love ice! Nor do I love going out in messy weather. But if I have to, I can. Keeping a Deep Pantry, is especially helpful, in such not-fun-to-go-out weather.
And more importantly, I do not *have* to go out. Personality wise. Which of course, has made this China Covid Pandemic, much easier for me to weather. And for which, I am grateful.
Stay warm. In no time, it will be sweltering and humid there. Which is much more awful, to me, than cold. -smile-
I started to say... Enjoy the hibernation. But realized, you won't. So why say it?
Lol...true. I am all for outdoors!
DeleteThe bread sounds delicious! As to cold, we have cold in Indiana...but not as bad as some. I find as I age, I am getting thin skinned about cold. And here it is more the wind that gets me...it just makes the cold so much worse....and over at the Super walmart we go to in Illinois, the wind is even worse cause it is even flatter land than here.
ReplyDeleteWind chill factor play havoc on the body temp!
DeleteWell...BOO to the ugly weather!! It sure makes one want to hunker down. That bread sounds delicious but if I ate it the pounds would jump on in a second. Doc says no flour or fruit. I just can't do that any longer so I do cheat now and then just to keep my sanity. But I sure don't want to get back into the diabetes category again. These last pounds are pure agony to make go away.
ReplyDeleteTo answer your question about the truck. I really don't know what the make is or how old. I'll look at my archives and see if the make shows up in any of them.
Knowing this was a working quarry since the 1800's...who knows when this was used.
It used to be called Big Gunn MineCompany.
Sue
Thanks for the info Sue. And I think every once in a while, treat yourself to something you like
DeleteOur weather has been crazy. Two days ago, after days of rain, it froze and I couldn't get into my car because the locks were frozen shut. After plenty of attempts, I succeeded in getting the door open. And then today it's in the mid-fifties overnight! Downright warm and very unusual for us at this time of year. I have been forced to walk in the wind and rain, just to keep my sanity. :-)
ReplyDeleteStrange weather everywhere, I guess
DeleteI've been hearing that parts of Texas have received three times as much snow as Chicago has received so far! I miss not seeing any snow. Especially when the skies are sunless. Enjoy the hibernation and don't oversleep. :-)
ReplyDelete...promise
DeleteSorry can't relate to you and the cold. : ) I don't mind the cold at all as you probably already know. :) Love walking around in the snow. Hope your warm temperatures come back soon!!
ReplyDeleteI know how tou walk in the snow! Year's ago, I didn't mind it. Now....
DeleteIt looks really yummy! You can't be too safe these days, I am glad you are being real careful.
ReplyDeleteI don't want any ER.
DeleteStaying in due to age is comforting to me. Homebody is not a bad word. Always can find something to do. I really like to be warm, though. Good for you making bread! Messy process here.
ReplyDeleteI, on the other hand,love to be out & about. Ya, the bread hit the spot.
DeleteFor someone like me living in Manitoba, those temperatures sound perfect. Actually that is about what we’ve been having and it certainly isn’t normal for January.
ReplyDeleteNo, it's not normal...for either of us.
DeleteIt's been cold here too! I hope it warms up quickly for you so you can come out of hibernation!
ReplyDelete😊
Delete