Chilled to the Bone!


I left around 8 a.m., the temp was 44° and the winds were calm. By the time I got to the park I had planned on walking, it had dropped two degrees and the winds picked up considerably! I parked the car, got out [wearing sweat pants and a sweat shirt, no layers as I assumed when I left home, it'd be warming up and I'd get too hot]. The cold immediately cut through me. And, I never got warmed up, even walking!! At this park it was a bit miserable, but I kept going. The early morning sky was an intense shade of blue, and I spied many many aircraft contrails [passenger jets; empty due to covid or filled?]. The sun was brilliant, the green park lawns had been recently mowed and looked manicured.  The windmill you see is not always visible from the road.  During the summer months, the trees along the riverbank hide it from sight.  Only to see it during the winter when the trees are bare...




...but the open fields, are browned by winter kill. Very few waterfowl were seen on the lakes. Too cold for them, too? Or too early? I'd like to think they were nestled out away from the cold wind, waiting for the day to warm up a bit.  Normally, on a good day, when weather is decent, there can be a lot of joggers, walkers, birders, bikers [pedal bikes, not motorcycles], boaters and fishermen. On this day, during the time I was there, I saw two vehicles along the park road and not one outdoors, walking, or having anyone being active. If you look at the photo with the bright chartreuse arrow, it's directing you to one of the vehicles...it stopped, so from where I was [clear on the other side of the park], I zoomed in on the driver!] He kinda reminded me of Yukon Cornelius!



_ _ _

I left this park eventually and headed back toward Corpus only to stop at another park. I was hoping by the time I arrived there, the sun would have warmed up the countryside. At least the wind was no longer a factor. Taking the first right turn after entering thru the park's gate, I drove by one of the many senior centers here in town. Passing that, the road drops down into a valley. This is what I saw going downhill...literally hundreds of Monk Parakeets! They were on the park road, in the trees, on the lawn, and even more across the street! And the duck/goose pond, all the waterfowl were snuggled in the water, not swimming much..the cormorants were sitting in the sun. It WAS cold for wildlife too




40 comments:

  1. What a fabulous find this flock of parrots were! And look how well they bled in with the grass!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parakeets! They're loud. With hundreds there, it was like a football stadium after home team touchdown!

      Delete
  2. You are brave and determined! And we were all rewarded by the great pictures. 💕

    ReplyDelete
  3. I assume 44 °F in the morning is pretty cold for you!
    Here right now are 24.8 °F ... Brrr!
    That flock of parrots is beautiful ...
    All your photos are beautiful ... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 44° with wind chill & it felt like 30°! I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

      Delete
  4. You are very brave to head out in those temps without a jacket. You can always tie it around your waist if it's too much. The monk parakeets are so pretty and so colorful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't like cold. Younger, it never bothered me.

      Delete
  5. What glorious pictures, Anni!! Looks like what spring looks like here in northern-most Indiana. We got a major snow storm last night... I'm guessing there's about 8" out there. Uggghhhhhh!!!!!! Texas sounds very appealing to me right now!! Any spare bedrooms at your place? *haha* ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Monk Parakeets, we have them here too. What is up with the weather?! It's been so cold here too. I don't ever remember a winter in Florida that it's actually felt like winter the entire season. We usually get a little cold snap here and there with hot weather in between. I would imagine it's normally the same for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How beautiful the scenery was even with that crisp chill in the air.
    Seeing all of those parakeets would bring happiness to me...so beautiful.
    Thank you for sharing your walk with us Anni🌞☕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are such loving birds (to each other)

      Delete
  8. If you think you're cold now, just wait until you get old! Seriously, these photos, especially of the green parakeets are really nice to see! Thanks for taking that walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always nice knowing you enjoy our walks together.

      Delete
  9. How delightful to see all those parakeets and no cages. I do understand that wind factor. It can take a bearable cold and make it miserable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! (It wasn't too bad at the 2nd park)

      Delete
  10. I cannot imagine all the parakeets! Got to get to computer to really see photos goid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was just a FEW of what I saw!

      Delete
  11. WOW! Even with the cold weather, you managed to get some great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely photographs.
    That is a lot of parakeets!

    All the best Jan

    PS Happy February Wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and thanks for the good wishes.

      Delete
  13. First I must say 44 yes it'd be a heatwave here! You always take us on such lovely adventures and quite the wildlife to share. Lovely photos every single one. Enjoy your week, stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. When we'd come down to Texas we'd be in shorts while all the locals were bundled up. I understand you clearly.

      Delete
  14. What a fascinating walk even in the cold.
    Those parakeets are amazing. Beautiful and I bet noisy.
    I'm glad that even though you were frozen you kept on walking so we could enjoy your photos of your morning.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you came with me...Happy Anniversary you two!

      Delete
  15. I love that first shot of the Monks in flight...and great capture of the waterfowl catching a fish. (I almost spelled that waterfoul...LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, they DO foul the water!!! rofl

      Delete
  16. Love this post wonderful pics :) I can't comment on the IRBB page :( My link is up. The comment section will not open on that page. Happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gina...I hope commenting on IRBB will work for you sometime soon and just a glitch!!

      Delete
  17. I also love seeing all the parakeets. What a magnificent sight! And even for me that would have been a cold walk, wind makes all the difference. That, and rain. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And wind mixed with damp air...even colder! Right?

      Delete
  18. That's an amazing zoom! He does look like Yukon Cornelius.
    Nice shots of those parrots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I like the zoom...if I can only hold the camera steady without having to lug the tripod with me.

      Delete
  19. That guy does sort of look like Yukon Cornelius. That flock of parakeets is really something. I'm used to only seeing a parakeet in a cage.
    To answer your question, yes, I did find what I was looking for at the dollar store

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure at one time a couple or a pet store released them into the wild & they reproduced. At least that's my opinion. Glad you found what you needed.

      Delete
  20. Yukon, Phuc-N Hilarious - Been A Busy Couple Of Weeks And Plating Catch Up Tonight - Hope You Are Doing Well - Sending Positive Vibes

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he really WAS the first I thought of...cornelius 🤣

      Delete

Table of Contents