Life's A Beach...


Since "my" on-ramp to get onto the freeway heading to the islands is closed due to construction, I've been taking the residential street to get away from that and be able to access the freeway farther south from home. While driving the street, I noticed a huge cactus in someone's yard and it was the most heavily blooming cactus I have ever seen. I had to get a picture. Some cactus bloom at night, often seen are bats nearby, which I think this is one night bloomer. It seems the blossoms are beginning to close for the daylight. Looking through my zoom lens, I saw many black June Bug like bees collecting their pollen. The red pods are seed pods from spent blossoms [we used to get prickly pear and saguaro jelly from those pods when we lived in Tucson - a tart/sweet concoction]...

- - - -

Once I got to the islands, I decided to try one pier that was heavily damaged during the summer hurricane that hit just north of our city. Nope, that beach road is still cordoned off. I continue to drive to Padre Island National Seashore [federal park], then realize I left my Senior Pass at home. I took the first access road before entering the park and stopped and parked on the beach there and then walked. It was a gorgeous morning! Sun, but not hot. Quiet. Only one other person walking, and she was way ahead of me by about a 1/2 mile! A perfect outing. While I was there, I began looking for a long piece of driftwood. I eventually found a sizable piece and marked the area in my head so I could pick it up on my return to the car, later. But in the meantime, I enjoyed the ambiance, the cool breeze, the sound of the gentle surf, the birds, the numerous amount of sand crabs, by the hundreds, scurrying ahead only to drop down in their excavated homes on the beach. Some of the birds seen on this day were: seagulls [3 different species], two kinds of plovers, curlews, willets, turnstones, sandpipers, herons, and terns. On the drive there, I spotted an osprey with its breakfast, and a white tailed hawk, hunting for breakfast. I eventually got my steps counted, returned to the car not forgetting my driftwood and headed back home. Here is some of what I encountered along the walk....



...keep i mind, the trip to walk the beach was day before hurricane Delta hit the Gulf coast!

64 comments:

  1. I was hoping you would show the crabs! They are so cute; they look kind of like cartoon characters. I have never seen such a heavily blooming cactus either. Maybe because it is very old?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't know the reason for the number of blossoms...but, it sure caught my attention.

      Delete
  2. Oh...it's the waves that move me. I was raised on the West Coast and haven't seen waves in years. Your pictures make me miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Anni,

    Love the cute Sand Carbs. It sounds like you had a nice day for a great walk at the beach. The cactus blooms are beautiful. Loved the photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care and Enjoy your day! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting dear Eileen. I'll go back and revisit with you later today, sometime.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous10/10/2020

    Dear Anni
    Wanted to send you a halloween card, but not sure
    you still have the same email address.
    Sent it your Ymail.
    Hoping you're well in this time of hurricanes and election chaos.
    Hugs Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (((Lisa!))) I am so happy you found my blog. And I rarely do emails any more, so, glad you told me. I'll go check later today. Come back anytime! I think of you often.

      Delete
  5. What a perfect start to the day. Love that cactus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen anything like it with so many blossoms!

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely walk with us Anni.
    Your photos are gorgeous!!!
    The scenery fantastic and that cactus...WOW 🌵

    Have a Great Day 🎃🍁🍂☕👻

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was wondering if you made it down there before the hurricane. I love the cactus in bloom, and also the cute little crab! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The day it made landfall, 5 people were washed off one of our jetties (one fatality)

      Delete
  8. Wow! This is a wonderful series of photos. I could not pick a favorite.. would even be hard to pick a least favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So much to see there! I hope and pray you are OK after this latest hurricane. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful cactus that one is! Soooo impressive! I love the little sand crabs too. Good and enjoyable post today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a perfect day on the beach. Almost all yours, driftwood and those adorable little crabs. Hope the storm misses you completely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, it was very relaxing...and no storm here.

      Delete
  12. This was a wonderful walk. Thanks for taking me along. I'm anxious to see what you do with the driftwood. Our beach never has driftwood. Just shells, gulls, high rise condos, and tourists, and more tourists. But sometimes its wonderful like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a federal park...no condos...all open space!

      Delete
  13. These are beautiful photos of a beautiful day at the beach.
    Here the weather is bad a lot of rain and wind.
    Greetings Irma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos from your walk on the beach, I love the sea!
    But for me it is still not raining and storming as badly as it was with the hurricane.
    Take care and stay safe, Elke

    ReplyDelete
  15. That walk is just spectacular. So much Eye Candy.
    Be safe and I hope the surge passes you by.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous photos! My brother has been to Padre Island many times but I have never been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't confuse South Padre Island with padre Island National seashore...two completely different areas about 200 miles apart.

      Delete
  17. What glorious pictures, Anni. Thank you so much for sharing them with the rest of us. And the little kitten with the black witch's hat, on your blog background, always brings a smile to my face each and every time I stop by! :) ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very interesting scenes. I would have a hard time living in an area where hurricanes were common, but then others would say the same about our winter storms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've lived in deserts with no rain for years, I have lived where there were blizzards year after year, and Hurricanes are really not much diffetent...each weather pattern has it's bad & good.

      Delete
  19. So many interesting and lovely things to see where you live and relax. I'm glad you let us take a look as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I'm happy you could walk along!

      Delete
  20. Anni, every time you post the National Seashore brings happy tears, that was the happiest time of my life. I loved all the pics was the big thing a nest of some sort? I always loved watching the pipers chasing their food to waters edge. Nothing more relaxing than watching God's critters at play. Loved the dolphins out at Port A shipping channel going across the ferry. ONE DAY I WILL RETURN HOME!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't walked on a beach in years. Would love to take a walk there with you.
    Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come on down sometime! We can walk together.

      Delete
  22. Cactus with blooms are sure interesting. The crab eyes sort freak me out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you for visiting me today. Always happy to meet Texas bloggers. You have a beautiful blog and I look forward to visiting here often. Have a great rest of the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello. Wonderful photos. Thank you for sharing. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Who knew that photos of crabs could be stunning! These are really beautiful photos of the crabs and even the crabs are pretty. Bob likes to say life is a beach and then you die and this beach is what he's talkin about Wide Open Spaces water Sunshine no people. Feeling jealous you were out there walking and I do hope that Delta did not do any damage to this beautiful place. Thank you for your outpouring of love and caring and the past few days on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  26. These unexpected diversions bring the most unexpected surprises, as in this beautiful blooming cactus. Thank you so much for sharing it Anni. It’s gorgeous! Lovely beach scenes also and that is such a cute looking crab! Sounds like you had a perfect outing and thank you for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It was near perfect walking!

      Delete
  27. I was in such a hurry yesterday that I forgot to tell you that I so loved that cactus....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I mentioned, I've never seen one bloom so heavily!

      Delete
  28. Wonderful pictures, but where's the driftwood? I was looking for a picture of it!! Love the cactus and the crabs and the coconut and the beach and pier...all lovely. Glad you were able to go before the storm. I need to go walk on the beach again soon. It's been too long. Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Such beautiful photographs from your walk on the beach :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  30. Those are great pictures! What a great thing to be able to walk along the ocean like that! Curious to see what you do with that piece of driftwood!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of heaven [at least when no hurricanes are threatening.]

      Delete
  31. What a lovely day trip! :) Great photos, I love the photo of the shell, it's so pretty and artistic! :)

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents