I Know! It's a DragonBird!


 
You may recall a couple weeks ago I posted about walking the beach and finding a couple pieces of driftwood that I possibly could carve birds from them?  Well, I did work on both pieces, but the first one, I trashed.  I just didn't like the way it turned out.  [there are many other fishes pieces in the sea...lol].  But the other one, I really liked the piece just by itself.  When I began working on it, I had a vision of it turning into a Gothic bird.  Then, the more I worked on it, the more it became a winged dragon. I made another trip to the same area in search of two other flatter pieces that will carve out as wings! Erik, Bud and I think 'dragon' more than bird.  My sister is very diplomatic, she says:  "It could be either"!  And Irene, she said it looks like a mummified piece of wood.  LOL
 
I thought of painting it black with white detailing to make it appear Gothic, like a Raven.  Then, the thought crossed my mind to paint it shades of green for a dragonesque  appearance.  After several hours of carving, sanding, adding the wing pieces, and brushing the wood dust, I decided go natural wood.  But, my choice of stains wasn't a good one.  It is quite dark.  Almost sinister.  I know that my ability of wood carving isn't top notch, but I still enjoy creating something from something.


42 comments:

  1. I like it, it is very good. You have brought the wood to life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does look sinister with that eye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous work! Very well done!
    Hello Annie, how are you? 🤗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you back Ella. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Hello, Anni

    I like the bird carving, you did great! Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!
    To me it isn't sinister but what a dragon should be...powerful!
    After all, you weren't creating "Puff" the Dragon!
    The leaves look like it spitting fire in the bottom photo.
    You are an amazing talent Anni 🍁🍂

    ReplyDelete
  6. i don't see sinister, I do see dragon bird though. or in the second shot MAYBE dragon grasshopper? see the bottom legs? i like it, great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmmmm, a grasshopper! thanks Sandra

      Delete
  7. Very cool, you are one talented lady! If you think it looks too sinister put it up at Halloween :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVE IT!!! Absolutely love it. Sending you coincidental message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. got your message & left comment while I was in blogger admin, earlier. thanks.

      Delete
  9. I can't believe you carved that - that was awesome. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My goodness, is there nothing you can't do? Great job on the dragon-bird. Wonderful recycle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are a heck of a lot more talented than me! I like this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Rose. YOU, dear one, are VERY talented!!

      Delete
  12. I love this, Anni!!! And I believe your dragon is exactly the color she wanted to be! ~Andrea XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowie.. that turned out very gothic and perfect for Halloween decor.
    You are so talented. My Dad and you would have gotten along famously...he was always creating things like that..Repurposing things into something else.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing other people's creations...do you have any of your father's work to share?

      Delete
  14. I think it's wonderful. And there's nothing sinister about it, to me anyway. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, glad to know your opinion, thanks D J

      Delete
  15. I think your dragon turned out great!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is beautiful! You are very creative and imaginative...and you brought that dead wood to life in that "dragonbird". Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think it's sinister - very cool! And I think the color is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a bit too evil looking. lol Thanks Mari.

      Delete
  18. You have a ton more talent in this area than I do. hey, likey you have more talent in all areas, than I do. We each do what we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Ruth
      Some pieces just look like a critter to me, and I try.

      Delete
  19. WOW, that is really impressive. Your wood carving ability is top notch in my book. About the only wood carving I can do is to put a point on the end of a number 2 pencil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. guess what? my points on a pencil always break!!

      Delete
  20. A great skill! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You have many talents. Where did you learn them all

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents