Note to myself: We have two tropical waves/depressions to watch as of this posting. One in the very warm Gulf waters just off the Texas coast that may turn into a storm before making landfall. It is predicted to hit around Port Lavaca, Texas [between Houston and Corpus Christi -maybe a direct hit over us]. The 2nd storm in the Atlantic, heading into the Caribbean Sea that will eventually be in the Gulf of Mexico...this one is named. The spaghetti tracks show a multitude of different ways of travel. But, we will probably get some rain from it if not another tropical storm...depending on where it decides to go. From both storms, flooding is highly possible. A third one just appeared off the west coast of Africa [4 pm Thursday]!! Time to get to the store and stock up on water [Hurricane's toilet paper of the Covid days! lol]
Now, on with my blog post for the day...
Are there just some things that irk you? Then, on the other hand, some things that make you giggle uncontrollably?
For me, one example [a few actually] is TV commercials. In particular, these: We have locally an injury lawyer that advertises on ALL free stations [we only have antenna TV; no cable or dish]. When Bud turns on his two favorite shows, Jeopardy and then local news, this lawyer has ads every few minutes in the hour's time...and guess what? They're open 24/7!! But the added verbiage after 24/7 is "nights and weekends". I beg to ask them if they're available twenty-four seven, doesn't that include nights and weekends? I call 'em educated dummies. lol

Then, another commercial. This is usually pharmaceutical in nature [and more lawyers], but this is where they have people talking about the services...and they're REAL people [as opposed to actors?]...tell me, aren't actors real people too?
Speaking of pharmaceutical commercials...don't you think the side effects [even death on some] are WORSE than the ailment you're trying to eliminate?

Margarine...tastes like butter? NOT EVEN CLOSE!! Some don't even taste better than petroleum in my opinion.
I finally got that 24/7 off my chest. Thanks. Now, do you have some commercials or ads that pique your ire? Care to share?
billboard photos courtesy of Google Images
billboard photos courtesy of Google Images
Why is it that the absolute worst commercials have the most air time? I know there have been ones that have bothered me but none come to mind right now. The 24/7 would bother me.
ReplyDeleteI could take a wild guess & say it's on 10 tomes in that hour time frame.
DeleteHello,
ReplyDeleteWe see a lot of lawyers,medicine and insurance commercials. My hubby will flip the channel during every commercial, it drives me nuts. I can mute the sound and wait for the show to come back on. There is one commercial I find really sad and it is for the ASPCA. Take care, stay safe! Enjoy your day, have a happy weekend!
Oh yes, I've seen that one too. Too sad to watch.
DeleteI agree with everything you said here and we have the same types of things. The good news is we record almost everything we watch and then we fast-forward through the commercials. But you have to have cable to do that. If not for Bob we wouldn't have cable either. You can't get all the sports and racing on the free channels. I have one commercial that Bob and I totally hate and cannot stand every time it comes on and it plays over and over and over it's the one where the man is half motorcycle and half man his bottom half is a motorcycle. It beats me what he's advertising I think it's insurance but I'm not sure because we can't stand to watch it long enough to figure it out. I do have a few favorites that have beautiful dogs and them and I mute it and watch the pictures of the dogs go by plus I do love the Geico Gecko
ReplyDeleteThank goodness Bud doesn't care for sports much! We just don't need cable. Now by what you wrote, I'm sure that commercial you describe would "drive" me crazy too.
DeleteI'm back because I forgot to say while you were sleeping and why we were sleeping they named the storm that's headed for Corpus Christi Hannah is her name. I'm watching Gonzalo and hoping he's not coming into the Gulf. He still way way south of us but you're right we're on storm alert here also what comes for us can also come for you
ReplyDeleteHannah is it? Well, I could wager it will hit here tonight or maybe early tomorrow.
DeleteAlmost all of our commercials are about health, cures, weight loss and insurance. Plexiderm is the most hated one. Also there is one with Joe Namath that is very annoying-sleazy. We mute them. Sure hope you get through the storms without damage!
ReplyDeleteNever cared for Joe Namarh anyway. Lol
DeleteI also try not to watch the commercials but you know they catch you just as they were designed to do. I also am amazed at the side effects of many of those drugs. It seems weird to see one that is for clearer skin that might kill you. :-)
ReplyDeleteI've not seen that one, but wouldn't care for clearer skin one way or another if THAT is the side effect.
DeleteHoping you'll be safe and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Perhaps there will be no storm damage for anyone!
ReplyDeleteLet's hope so. Just rain (we need it), but no flooding.
DeleteGot my eyes south also. If they hit Louisiana, we usually get a dousing. May we both be spared. I do record all my shows just so I can fast forward through the commercials. Ahhh.
ReplyDeleteWe don't watch much of any TV
DeleteHave a blessed wife.
ReplyDeleteNot sure I understand.
DeleteThe side effects sound worse than the disease. Thankful I don't have to take any!!
ReplyDeleteDon't have TV so don't watch commercials.
Hope the storms aren't bad!!!
We have 2 TV sets, but most always watch movies (with no commercials) Bud will watch news tho.
DeleteIn addition to Africa, there was storm in Japan as well.....hehehe.....lol.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, yesterday, we are in Louisiana got little storm. Little bit rain, but no flood.
Take care.
I only watch storms that have possibility of hitting our homeland (mainly Texas)
DeleteThese billboards are just awful!!! This makes me glad that I tape all our shows on the box, then when we watch, we can speed through the commercials. Some of them really bug me. Speaking of toilet paper, I just saw a virus expert on T.V. say that as the Covid continues to get worse, there will be more shortages again. He said every time you go shopping, buy extra so you will have enough when there is none to buy.
ReplyDeleteThey are so tasteless.
DeleteI have them! But right now cannot think of a single one of them...and you would probably giggle at the one. If I think of it I will come back and tell you. I HATE the My Pillow commercial...Roger wanted to try one and he could not stand it and neither could I. And that commercial bugs me cause the image of the sewing machine is reversed...I know it has to do with settings when filming but it just irritates the heck out of me.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I've seen my pillow.
DeleteBoy, are you right on the commercials...I can't stand them and mute most of them. I agree with Sandra and the half man half machine one...terrible. and those ones that the side effects are worse than the problem...really annoying and makes one not want to take anything at all.
ReplyDeleteHope all you get from the storms is some rain...not flooding or worse..Prayers
Sue
I'm gonna hafta see if I can find that one online.
DeleteI don't have tv so I am spared the commercials.
ReplyDeleteYou see billboards & ads in magazines (more ads than anything in magazines)
DeleteI hate those med commercial also that list all the things that can happen to you if you take them. Plus it irritates me that these companies push their meds so people can go into the Dr and ask for them. The Dr usually knows best what needs to be ordered!
ReplyDeleteI'm not a fan of personal injury lawyers anyway, so all their ads bug me. :)
We record a lot and then fast forward through commercials.
We donxt watch much TV anyway, mostly movies without commercials. But when the news is on, commercials galore.
DeleteWe don't have TV since the management took our antenna off the roof. So I stream videos with no commercials. Hurray for Netflix starting that!
ReplyDeleteIndeed
DeleteI do hope you will be safe and not have severe weather or flooding. Because I stay home almost all the time currently, I see some commercials until I am sick of them! I hate the way they "rattle" off the side effects of drugs at the end of a commercial, and like you, could anything be worse?? We have our share of lawyer commercials, too. Funny thing, my grown niece is a lawyer and her name is Brooke. We tease her that she could have a commercial that says, "Hire Brooke, she's no crook!" Thankfully, she is a real estate lawyer and not an ambulance chaser!
ReplyDeleteI understand about the "rattling on" about side effects!
DeleteSo many, but yeah, 1/2 man, 1/2 machine is grossssssssssss!
ReplyDelete