Due to Coronavirus -Closed!


Just like my other blog states in its name... I'd Rather B Birdin'. 

Listening to the local news at 6pm when we eat dinner off TV trays in front of the TV, the coronavirus cases in our county are sky-rocketing [269 jumping to over 600 in a week's time]. They are considering going back to phase I. I haven't heard what the governor of Texas has stated, OR our county district judge has implemented -or not implemented. I got this brilliant idea...I told Bud: "I'm going to go to Kingsville Texas...that county [Kleberg] only has 26 cases. I will be out in their park, more or less out of harm's way!" So, I stop at Bishop Texas on the way. Walk the perimeter of their park's lake.



Getting hot, and very few birds, I decided to get back in the car and drive to Kingsville from there...a short, less than 10 mile, drive from Bishop. I get off the interstate at the given exit to the park, drive slowly down hill for a way and turn the blind curve...get to the park. The first gate: "Due to Coronavirus, the park is closed" Crap. Now what? I go a bit further...as I scout out the park, no vehicles, no one on the playground. The 2nd gate to the park. Same thing. Locked tighter than a drum. The main gate, near the town's thoroughfare, the gate is OPEN. No signs of do not enter. I pull in, thinking I'm gonna be stopped or kicked out. I park. Get out and walk to the lake.



There are a few people walking. Three others beside me to be exact. I just felt uncomfortable, like I was breaking the law or something. I get back to the car, drink some cold water from my cooler, and see a woodpecker. I grab my camera and get a photo. All the while while watching the woodpecker, I saw from the corner of my eye a Northern Mockingbird doing its "thing". This is part of their courting ritual [or some think it's the male telling the world he now has offspring!] They sing, then, as if on cue, they jump high in the air and swirl around, to land again and begin over and over.




Driving out of the park, I head down the street that will take me downtown Kingsville. I pull into a strip mall, and enter the Dollar Tree...it's open. Next door is Hobby Lobby. I thought what the heck, they may be putting out Christmas things. A new ceramic elf maybe? I get to the door. It's locked, but the sign says open?!! Finally a man comes and unlocks the door, and lets me shop. He tells me I can purchase anything but fabric. Hmmmmm, odd but understandable. I get some little items and scour the shelves for Christmas. Pay and leave. The man has to unlock the door for me to exit. Once I get in the car, I figure as I get back on the interstate for home, "No wonder they have hardly any virus cases!"   It pays to pay attention to the virus experts.  But, wish I woulda known before driving the 70 mile trip.  I coulda saved gas, and time better spent near home.

41 comments:

  1. The small town I live in has had zero cases that I've heard of. I know of people who have been tested but all were negative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is super to read! Finally, something positive with all the negative results on your area.

      Delete
  2. Hello,
    I have heard there is a rise in cases in South Carolina, Texas, Florida and California. I assume due to large gatherings. Maybe on Memorial Day weekend. I will continue to wear my mask and keep my distance. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured the same....what with all the large gatherings on the beaches over the holiday weekend. And, being the two week incubation time.

      Delete
  3. That's a long way to drive and then have it closed. But you did make it to somewhere and helped keep that shop afloat. Have a great day, Anni. I so enjoy your excursions. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wear a mask when I go to public places...even parks with plenty of room.

      Delete
  4. We are 2 mi from Palmetto which is the hottest spot for the virus on the west coast of Florida and Florida is a hotspot right now with over 4,000 cases in one day and Palmetto which is the town my mother was born in had 324 cases in one 24-hour. So I am staying home and going nowhere

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess I'm a real homebody. It doesn't bother me to stay home. You are smart when you go out but I sure hope you continue to say safe. These are awful times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bud is the same way. He IS a homebody.

      Delete
  6. Our little county has had 13 positive cases, and the other county I shop in that forever had zero cases, had one test positive 2 or 3 weeks ago, and now has had 7 positive cases. The only other shopping I have done is one time this past weekend daughter and I went to a quilt shop. Everyone was wearing masks and besides two people that worked there, there were only 4 or 5 of us shoppers, inclucing both of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems when it begins, it spread easily.

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry this happened to you, Anni, but yes... this is the state of affairs in our country, isn't it. Stay home, stay safe... and when out & about, for essentials only, wear a mask. That seems to be the mantra for the last several months and if everyone would simply have done that, we'd be in better shape right now. It's like when we all deal with our children and tell them: "Do your homework now & get it over with... because, if you put it off, it's only going to get harder to do... and if you put it off long enough, it's going to be nearly impossible to get it done in time." I guess we adults need to heed our own words, don't we. This virus is no joke and the World Health Organization, amongst other organizations, are not lying when they give their admonishments. But people won't listen and now we all have to suffer once again. *sigh* I'm so grateful for online ordering. Love you & stay safe, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured a park would be a safe place...especially when no big crowds. I wear a mask when I go out for exercise & choose uninhabited areas.

      Delete
  8. Sorry you are being locked out of places to enjoy and where social distancing would be easy to manage but wasn't surprised that the town where they were so strict was the one with the least cases. If only we could bite the bullet long enough to stop the spread but there are always those who feel immune. I understand there is a big uptick in the young who are getting sick. They usually don't die but from what I heard, it is not something you'd wish on your worst enemy plus there is the chance of killing off your older family members. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured a good place would be a small town like Kingsville. I shoulda stayed at Bishop. No one there at their park...population probably 300 at the most.

      Delete
  9. Well said all, I won't belabor the point.
    Hubby and I are getting a bit stir crazy. I'm glad we have a nice big yard and comfy home to spend time in.
    I am finally getting a perm tomorrow. My hairdresser is back in her small business and we will be social distanced and wear masked the entire time. It should be interesting to do the washing and things like that...but boy do I need a cut and curl...actually my Hubby must think so too. He said yesterday make an appointment as soon as you can !!
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're brave. I'll stay away from hair dressers for quite a while!

      Delete
  10. Anni, I just now heard that your Governor Abbott said: "Texans should stay home unless they have a good reason to venture out." Please take good care. Love, Andrea XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need outdoor exercise. Yes, I do. I go to unpopulated areas...I make sure ...and wear masks.

      Delete
    2. Yes! You do it perfectly too, Anni. I think by "stay home unless good reason to venture out", your Governor was not referring to outdoor exercise in unpopulated areas. I think he meant leisurely outings in stores & things, that are not necessary for food, clothing or shelter. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I interpreted it anyway. <3 <3 As to your comment on my blog, yes... most people don't mind a neighbor's cat roaming around outside. But I've been a rescuer for a long time and I know what happens to wildlife when a cat is allowed outside. They can wipe out a whole family of birds in one swoop or cause grave injuries to a squirrel or something else... and the animal is left to die a slow & painful death. Also, cats can get injured by predators (animal or human) or even disease. Jo over at "A Brit In Tennessee" blog is now heartbroken because her cat, who she allows to go outside, has picked up Bobcat Fever and is battling for his life at the vet's office. So your neighbor is lucky to have you, my friend, as their neighbor... cos if they had me, their cat that they let roam outside would come up missing one day... and I'd deny ever having seen it. It would end up passed along to my rescue network and would be placed in a home that would never let it outside again. *lol* Such a meanee, I am. :-D Love you, Andrea xoxo

      Delete
    3. Makes all the sense in the world.

      Delete
  11. Governor Abbot needs to bite the bullet and do something besides "recommend" people use their common sense and stay home, wear a mask, etc. - too many don't seem to have any. Sorry, that's not a nice thing to say, but certainly seems so with all the numbers going up - and people not willing to follow the guidelines. Many in our family are in the medical field and see first hand what this virus is doing. It is extremely dangerous and I'll take lives over the economy any day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our judge will at least mandate the masks!

      Delete
  12. I enjoy taking my virtual walk with you, thanks Anni. I echo a lot of the comments above and wish you continued good health.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The patchwork response to this awful virus makes it even harder. We try to listen only to the true *medical* experts, but it isn’t easy to tune the other stuff out. Stay well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometimes it seems that the precautions are a little much, but if that keeps the number of cases down, then it's worth it. Manitoba has been doing really well, as far as numbers are concerned. I sure hope we can stay that way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If things are closed - the virus is stopped.
    Not so here in Georgia - our numbers are exploding! :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. We have 10 confirmed cases here in my county in Md. Every store here requires a mask.
    Nice taking a walk with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Masks are a two way protective piece in my opinion.

      Delete
  17. We are puzzled about not buying fabric! Is it because they need someone to cut it, and that would be too much person to person interaction? Well, I think the trip was sure worth it to shop at Hobby Lobby! I haven't been able to since before March! Our Hobby Lobby is n a city that is loaded with the virus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe there weren't any employees there to cut...who knows.

      Delete
  18. I visited public park recently, empty, no people...
    the pandemic seem no end in near future, hope, vaccine available soon.
    take care.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I agree with your comment on my blog...I have heard all kinds of 'suggestions'...mainly just getting healthy but it is scary.
    NC Governor has mandated all to wear masks effective 5 pm tomorrow. At least until July 17.
    We are staying in Phase II. Only exception, on the mask is walking on trails that are not crowded children under 11. We have lots around here so that is easy just too hot after 9 am.
    Stay safe we have had a pretty bad spike too. Not surprising after the protests a few weeks ago where none were wearing masks.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, no protests but beach revelers

      Delete
  20. Yes staying in lockdown has been our way of life. This week parks reopened and today many businesses but many are hesitating to head to shops. Masks are a must. We still stay clear of most shops but have begun park walks in the eve. It seems this will be around much longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's about the only wise thing to do. Walk. No meetings, no group shopping. It just doesn't make sense to congregate today...or for a long time coming. You're wise.

      Delete

Table of Contents