Ms. Elainie


I treated myself to a box of popcorn, a small drink, and a movie the other day. I went to see CATS. Now I know why it isn't doing well at the box office. I was greatly disappointed in the movie. Yes, it was a musical of sorts. But, in my opinion it was more a ballet than anything else. Naturally, my favorite character is Mr. Mistoffelees.  The one song [Memory] made up for the fiasco.
.....
Daylight
I must wait for the sunrise
I must think of a new life
And I mustn't give in
When the dawn comes
Tonight will be a memory too
And a new day will begin
.....
Those lyrics always bring tears to my eyes.  I'm such a push-over!

Yet, the set, the costumes, the special effects, and make-up were fabulous. In fact, I would be surprised if those categories were ignored by the Academy for at least nominating the movie ...for the animated cat ears alone. But, it was a near total wipe-out otherwise. Unless you enjoy ballet! lol The initial trailers of upcoming movies, there were two I think I may have to see on the big screen. Both based on classic stories. Jack London's Call of the Wild and the other Dolittle. The aforementioned has Harrison Ford and the Dr. Dolittle will be played by the Iron Man...[Robert Downey Jr.] In fact, I have never read the book Call of the Wild...I am now!! Bud bought me a copy of it when he was in Barnes and Noble the other day. I've only read the first chapter so far. I was worn out when I opened the book and dozed off. Must get my nose into the book before the movie comes to the theater. So, I can say what I usually say "The Book Was Better".


Moving to another subject, I was conversing with a cashier at our neighborhood grocery store. She had the acrylic nails that are so popular these days. But what caught my eye while she was scanning my purchases was the color and the finish. Black [I wear a lot of black 'cause I like it], and the finish was matte. It was nice looking; the finish. I mentioned that I liked it and she had to tell me that at the nail salon, if you want the matte look, it's an extra $5 charge. Well, I have only been to a salon once in my life and the gal that worked on my nails was uncaring...she cut my cuticles too close, jammed it into my finger so rough I was in pain. Then, to top it off, my index finger became infected from the close cut. I vowed to never go again. I do my own nails. Anyway, to stop the chit chat on this subject, I looked for "matte" polish online. What I came up with is the matte top coat. I went into Target and found it. Now, I hafta 'try my hand' at the job. Hope it is what I want to accomplish.

Before and After


What is the meaning of multi-colored fingernails? According to this site, this is the best answer.



One more thing. My Christmas gift from me...I couldn't resist him. I don't have one like it. At least not until this year. It was his slippers that sold me:


The Nutcracker

22 comments:

  1. Too bad about Cats.
    I don't ever bother with my nails. I'm not allowed to wear nail polish at work so it would be a waste of time to bother.
    That nutcracker is adorable. Yep, those slippers would have got me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I have never worn nail polish. I love the cute Nutcracker, great find. Wishing you a happy day and weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is definitely a cutie, and I can see why you couldn't resist buying him, with those cute slippers. My nail polish stays on my toes, not my fingernails. I do like that matte finish, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it on both toes and fingers.

      Delete
  4. I have never ever painted my fingernails nor toenails. If everyone's doing it, I don't. Just me. Your new Santa nutcracker is adorable! Judi Dench is one of my very favorite actresses but I never go to movie theaters even though our town has a very nice and very old refurbished one and has current movies offered. Sorry Cats is getting mixed reviews. It comes here in January. Currently "Jumanji the Next Level" is playing here now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your posts always have such interesting information!!! I love these cute little slippers, I would have bought him too. Where did you find him? Thanks for answering so quickly about the bark recipe! I have written it all down. The matte polish, I am going to buy the top coat. I did not know you could get a top coat. I used the matte polish, and it looked so pretty. BUT it would not come off! And then it left my nails stained for weeks! So this top coat is the perfect answer. Sorry about Cats. It has been getting bad reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how this will be like when I try to remove it.

      Delete
  6. Interesting about your take on Cats. It has been panned a lot but no one really said why. Thanks.
    All my years gardening made me ignore my nails. Are you just doing the one nail?
    Love those slippers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black on index & lavender on the rest.

      Delete
  7. I never get my nails done... have to keep them short for working with the clay (some don't, but I do). Will put a little clear gloss on them if going to something special (like a wedding), but otherwise don't bother. I read "Call of the Wild" years ago and liked it. Didn't know they were making a movie. And yes, most of the time "the book is better".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine the clay would be a hindrance with nails.

      Delete
  8. Oh, good to know there's a new Call of the Wild coming. The book was required reading in a class I took. I have reread it a couple of times since. When Millie howls at the coyotes, I think of Buck. I don't paint my fingernails, but if I did I would like the matte topcoat. I do paint my toenails occasionally in summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny that I've never read it. But, I am enjoying it.

      Delete
  9. Glad to hear about Cats as I was thinking of taking Louis Dean! He saw it in San Antonio at the majestic theater with his granddaughter years ago and still talks about it. He would have been so disappointed in the movie.
    I never thought about matte polish! You have such pretty hands and nails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The broadway CATS is so much better!

      Delete
  10. I love your nails. I love the slippers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It seems the black matte nail polish is all the rage these days. I personally don't wear any nail polish, cause my nails don't do well with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It been ages since I been to a movie

    ReplyDelete
  13. The slippers would have had me at first glance!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents