Hummer Fest in Rockport Texas...


This past weekend, at Rockport-Fulton, Texas the annual hummingbird - fest was held. It's a self-guided route [driving] to many, many areas throughout the two town radius. With people's homes and parks open for viewing the migration of the ruby-throated hummingbird. And may I add the hummer-bird festival, as what it's called in Autumn is also dedicated to all migratory birds that fly south for the winter where food is more readily available for them. But, the hummingbirds can be seen by the thousands!!!

With my camera and binoculars at the ready in the passenger seat of the car, I left home at daybreak to beat the predicted heat of the day that was sure to be upon us birders in no time. About midway to Rockport it rained enough to wet the pavement on the highway; making it more sultry. Once beyond the straight-away section of the road, the sun would be off to my right, making visibility a bit more safe. Some drivers just don't slow down....even with the bright sun in our eyes. Not me...I creep along like an old lady who is afraid to be behind the steering wheel. At least until I'm heading in a different direction. Then, of course, I make up for lost time. lol

Upon arriving, I hit the well-known parks and birding areas first. I was elated to see the hundreds of nectar feeders throughout. My first thought was "Whoever has the responsibility of keeping these feeders filled should be commended". They were everywhere I looked! Along the roads, in parks, yards...the signage was directing us in every direction of town and along the coast. And the birds, once they were awake, were hungry!!! I started taking photos and soon gave up and just watched their frenzied feeding....filling up for their long journey to Mexico and South America. Here are some photos I took at first, before I stopped altogether.  I just couldn't keep up with them all at once...




...and of course, a few hummers!!!




From Linda Castro Refuge [which had 8 feeders that I saw], to Tule Marsh [a dozen feeders], around town;  groups of five or more in one spot, to along the coast, lined on poles, etc. and people's yards with varied numbers of feeders...anywhere from a couple to hundreds of ruby throats at one time, the feeders were busy!!  And, after walking some along Tule Creek, I gathered up my camera and binoculars, headed to the street fair to see what crafty wares were for sale at the tented booths, and a short drive around the harbor/yacht club before heading home. I did buy one seasonal [no need for a hint, I'm sure you can guess] thing at the street fair. I'll show you on another post.

27 comments:

  1. You got great photos, especially the last large in-flight one! They look like emeralds sparkling in the sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On that day I could have taken dozens of photos of those 'emeralds'.

      Delete
  2. Oh I would have like to have seen this. Your pictures are wonderful. I especially like the very last picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everywhere...even driving around town, they were flitting across roadways, etc.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful sight to see so many hummers. For such tiny little creatures, they are strong and resilient. Great shots of the little guys. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're sweet. And so territorial it can ennd as a comedy of errors. Lol

      Delete
  4. Hello, I love your hummer photos. The festival sounds great, I would love to see all the migrating birds. I am still seeing a few hummers at my feeders. I just re-filled them yesterday. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed my condensed version of the festival.

      Delete
  5. i now have to admit, I was a tad upset not to see those big jeep like cars that are named hummers. i thought hummer car convention first. of course I should have guessed humming birds knowing YOU so well... beautiful photos of them hovering in the air. glad you got to go see them and I think I KNOW what you bought. does it start with W and end with H?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anni I bet you can hear me clapping and squealing. You know how much I love my hummers.
    This has been a record year for hummers here at Manor Madi. On a whim I put out my feeder on March 29. Lo and behold I saw my first hummer on March 30. And I have had steady stream of them since then. Absolutely the longest hummer season on record in my log book. They are still here too and I'm enjoying each sighting. Soon they will be on their flight maybe to visit you for the winter.
    Hugs cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't imagine that many hummers all at once. I am still feeding the travelers here. I leave my feeders up till I no longer see any stop by. I will miss them for they keep me busy all summer with the nectar and amuse me with their antics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our feeders are up for 10 months out of the year.

      Delete
  8. What a treat that would be. A hummer Festival, wow! You got some good shots too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be an eye-opening experience to see so many.

      Delete
  9. I can sit for hours and watching humming birds at our feeder. They are so really incredible. You have some very special photos! Thank you! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They truly are an incredible bird!

      Delete
  10. How great is this! I am an avid feeder of the little hummers here in Arkansas. I have sent a lot your way, so I am glad to know they are being taken care of! We still have several here but not nearly as many as there were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have had quite a few in our backyard feeders as well. About 35 miles from the festival.

      Delete
  11. I just yesterday sanitized and put my feeders away for another year. So happy to know these precious little birds are being so well cared for during their long journey. This was a very inspiring set of photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are definitely pampered here along the coast before they have to cross th Gulf on their non-stop journey.

      Delete
  12. What an amazing Festival! I think hummingbirds are so cool and I can't imagine seeing so many. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I look forward the hummingbird returning

    ReplyDelete
  14. You got some great shots of the hummers! I cannot imagine seeing that many. I bet it was fun.

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents