Among the Fields of Gold...


In South Texas, during the months of early Spring, gold is in them thar hills!! And on the plains. And on the chaparrals and ranch lands; along the river banks!! Just about everywhere you look. And upon nearing them, as you get closer, the faint fragrance of nutmeg and sweet, perfumey, spices can be prevalent. The blossoms are a buttery ball of soft, spiky, petals.  It's called the sweet acacia tree.  Another name is Huisache.
[pronouince : whi SAH chee] - and native to the state of Texas and into Old Mexico.

In loose translation from Spanish [Mexican] to English it is literally from Nahuatl huixachi, from huitzli thorn + ixachi a great amount, many  [many thorns -  beware: - they DO HAVE many many thorns]

They're beautiful, as a backdrop as I walk among the fields of gold.  Or, the reflection on the water.  Or stand alone, they can be eye candy this time of year ...












Now, my inspiration:  THE FIELDS OF GOLD by Sting

26 comments:

  1. They're very pretty. I remember that song well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For years I've been stung by Sting! 😍

      Delete
  2. They are beautiful, Anni. I love those fields of gold, but the closeups are delightful, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so pretty here at the moment.

      Delete
  3. I love those spikey beautiful yellow balls. the trees are beautiful to. I have read about the trees in all the books I read, but had no idea what they look like.. I did not remember the song until I listened to it, and it is familiar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are MANY kinds of acacia trees Sandra. Too many to mention.

      Delete
  4. Always enjoy tagging along on your fun trips. At 89, hard to keep up tho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to see you here! Hope you're doing well!

      Delete
  5. What fills those golden fields on the lower level? I'm looking for the thorns on the sweet acacia trees... they are well hidden I think! Is there tons of pollen in the air now like it is in SC? I sure remember it covering everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been way too humid/wet the last several months...no pollen (not even the oak so far).

      Delete
  6. Oh how beautiful, Anni. Mother Earth is so incredibly amazing, isn't she? Love, Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures. Of course we don't have those around here's that makes them even more special for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know...I am happy to know you enjoyed the photos.

      Delete
  8. They are gorgeous, like little suns!! The ones on the ground, did they drop from the trees, or are they actually growing there?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by. Wonderful photos. Love those fuzzy balls of sunshine. Don't think I have ever seen such a tree. Will check it out on Google.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi again. Thanks for coming in to Hootin' Anni's

      Delete
  10. Anni I know you live in a gorgeous location but YOU ALSO have the very best eye for what will make spectacular photos!
    Spring has sprung in your corner of the world
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh! It's so pretty. I love your description of them and the fact that they smell good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're very pretty & spicy sweet.

      Delete
  12. They are beautiful! I don't think I had ever seen them in a post before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to Texas & see 'em real time!

      Delete
  13. Beautiful! Hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Have a great day & super weekend.

      Delete

Table of Contents