The Heat is On!!


My sister and I talked on the phone the other day for over an hour. We chatted about everything under the sun. Books, cooking, weather,  our common favorite tv program [Nature], symphony, her bridge club and book club required reads, trips and planned trips, etc. One thing lead to another. And I mentioned that my neck muscles were achy and I was seriously thinking of getting out my old, old, heating pad. She then told me she ordered a 'bean bag' heating pad that you heat in the microwave. She really liked it 'cause it "molded to her body's contours". So, by that time I was really curious. After we hung up I went online...out to Google naturally. And typed in "bean bag heating pad". I found several, but they were not bean per sé...they were natural....but for the most part....rice. I found a DIY site here - went to one of the Walmart Super Centers and bought already cut material [100% cotton] and a 10# bag of white rice. Made my own...two. One 18" x 10" in length to go across the width of my neck and shoulders, and the other one is 8" square. Before closing the small opening I dropped 3 drops of lavender oil in each. [hopefully that will not only smell fresh, it should keep the insects out when storing them]




They're comfortable [but a bit heavy at first 'til I got used to the weight] ... and most of all:

THEY WORK!!
For a small cost of $5 for two.
amazing how quickly the tense muscles relaxed.
I recommend them to anyone. Simple, easy to make too.
10 minutes from cutting, sewing, filling and finishing off to microwave.
[---no longer than 2 minutes on high ... depends on size, and beware they could be hot! Use common sense]

- - -

Someone, I think Ruth, mentioned in a comment several posts ago, that she plans to get a stand for her lensball photography. I suggested that you really don't need a special 'stand'...that just about anything will suffice being that the item chosen fits the size of the crystal ball! To give examples, I brought out a small dessert cup and then a candle holder, and tested. Here are the results Ruth:



24 comments:

  1. I love your rice heating pads! Especially the pretty bird fabric you chose! About them being heavy...seems the latest rage is weighted blankets! Supposed to be comforting, and they are really selling. What a grand idea for my lens ball!! I need to look around the house for something. I have not even taken any pictures with it yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not heard of these weighted blankets. Hmmmm.

      Delete
  2. I had a small one of those heating pads that I got at a craft show and I found that the heat didn't last very long in it. I'm not sure if it was filled with rice thoughh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr's tell us ..."15 minutes on, 15 minutes off" for heat therapy.

      Delete
  3. you are so clever. i love my rice heating pads, i have 2, they are 24 inches long and 4 inches wide, with handles. they are to hold around the waist or wrap around the neck or lie on the shoulders. 90 seconds in microwave and i am set. i use one every morning of my life. it lays by the microwave and i go back to bed with it on my aching neck . got them at CVS for 10 each. agree with your answer to Ann. it last long enough for the 15 minutes or less. i have arthritis in my neck and spine, no cure for that . again i say how clever your are, the ball stand is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a rice heating pad I've used for years. It used to smell like lavender, but no longer. It still works, though. I put it in the microwave for a minute, then turn it and put it in for another minute. Works great! I used it just last month on my stiff neck. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya, I was wondering how long the scent would last.

      Delete
  5. I have used the rice bags for many years. A girlfriend used to make and distribute them to all of her friends. They really work! As for the weighted blankets, I see them advertised on our local rummage sites very often. Most comments are that they are 20 lbs. and way too heavy. Glass beads create the weight in some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I have a heat bean bag I bought from somewhere. I should use it for my neck. Thanks for the reminder. It is a great idea to make you own and to use the lavender oil. Enjoy your day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if we all use a computer, our neck & shoulders suffer most.

      Delete
  7. I cannot use anything "heat" since then I do seriously overheat … yeppers, not done with that chapter in my life yet … Love, cat.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sisters are the best! I'm in a hotel room with one of my sisters right now, with a shopping trip to IKEA planned tomorrow!
    I love your idea of putting lavender in your rice sacks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing the 'stand' ideas. Once it warms up and there is actually something other than snow outside, I plan to try some of these ideas. I love my rice bag. I have problems with cold feet in the evening, so I use it in bed every night. Easy to make, inexpensive and molds to my body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, a cold feet remedy! That no doubt works like a charm!

      Delete
  10. Hi sweet lady, I bet you and your sister have had much fun over the years! I don't have a sister and have always wanted to have one! Have to say though, I am pretty lucky to have three great brothers! What a clever and quick idea, I'll going to try to make one of those bags, thank you for the tip. Have a great weekend.
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have three older brothers also! And those bags are great for tension.

      Delete
  11. I still like the old heating pad.... and my cat sure loves it with her bad hips...I keep it very low.
    But that is what the makes the world go round!! Different strokes for different folks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I didn't get rid of my heating pad.

      Delete
  12. Yes, so very clever! I bought one of these specially (quite a fancy and scent filled one) for a co-worker with lots of aliments, but just as a quick fix, I use an old clean sock filled with rice, heat it in the microwave and place it on whatever is sore!

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents