
As I walked along the shore, enjoying the gentle sound of the surf and listening to the bird calls, I noticed something I've never seen in my life before! In the sand. There were two of them nestled close together. Upon a closer inspection with my camera lens, I kinda figured by the slight indentations they might be of the urchin family species. I marked the area with a piece of drift wood and walked back to the car for my gloves {I have a supply of 'come-in-handies' in the trunk} and found a plastic container to go back and pick them up. Once I was home I got online and did some research....indeed, with an uneducated guess, they just MAY be a type of urchin. Something I've only seen in pictures and on National Geographic-type programs!! I typed into Google "balls of seaweed found in the Gulf of Mexico" and went down the list of links. One had a very similar picture of what I found....called "Sea Potatoes". The description fit perfectly what was now laying on our garage floor. I intend to get them cleaned up, and dry them out to keep {maybe...if they don't stink while drying - they may get tossed in the garbage, who knows}. - - Keep in mind, I'm still not 100% positive on them being a type of animal...maybe just seaweed. Time will tell. Maybe, lol
Online, the picture I found [link]
My photo from the beach. They're near perfectly round, slightly flattened, and under the spiny exterior, there are marks of an urchin...

Sea Potato Facts
What would be YOUR guess?
I have never seen anything like that. Those are rather fascinating. They do look resemble the picture in the link
ReplyDeleteMe too...it's a first for me too.
DeleteHello, I never seen or heard of the sea potato. They are strange. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!
ReplyDeleteI'm surely not all that positive this is what I 'think' it is. lol
DeleteVery curious looking things, Anni. I've never seen one in the wild before. You must be gearing up for Halloween, I know you're a big fan. :-)
ReplyDeleteYep, that I am. Started decorating (the big thing here) this week.
DeleteSimilar but different. The ones you found have "hair" going every which-way. The internet photo has "hairs" all going the same direction in general. (I think.) Could you take a picture of them upside down?
ReplyDeleteWhen I found them on the beach, they had obviously JUST washed up on the shore...you really can't compare direction of 'hair' or spines...like seeing a bird with black feet when they're yellow coverd in mud.
DeleteAlso what size are they?
ReplyDeleteI haven't touched 'em since I brought them home...not turned upside down OR measured them...est. about 3" diameter.
DeleteI now think you are correct about them being sea potatoes!
ReplyDeletehttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinocardium_cordatum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AZUth1jNnQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CoLFwUL3gE
Sure looks like what I found! Thanks for the links! Interesting to read
DeleteVery interesting!
ReplyDeleteI have no idea what they may be.
Have a wonderful day!
The concensous is sea potato!
DeleteI checked the link and I think you are right, you found two urchins. they are beautiful and if they don't stink when dry, will make very nice decorations. I can hardly type because that OWL witch is staring at me, and is so darn cute I can't think to type... I love it!!!!! love it!!!!! thanks for the sweet comments about our New Big Boy
ReplyDeleteBig Boy is a handsome one...and I bet all three of you are VERY happy!
DeleteI do think you have identified them! So Sea Potatoes it is! So amazing, I have never seen such a thing. Thanks to your really sharp eyes. I wonder how they will look when dried out? Keep us posted. I never know what I will see when I visit, and this is surely one of your best finds ever!
ReplyDeleteLike Gomer pyle then? Surprise, surprise! lol
DeleteThey are very cool! They do look like the link you shared.
ReplyDeleteI guess most all agree then.
DeleteI've found a few sea urchins but not that big! That must be what they are though! Well! I have missed you! The week just doesn't seem the same without some bird photos in the mix! Hope you are well and the weather has been nice. See you Saturday afternoon! Hugs, Diane
ReplyDeleteMissed you too...but family/life has priority.
DeleteWOW! This could be interesting.Be sure to keep on posting as to how things go with these two items.
ReplyDeleteOkay....I'll try to remember.
Delete