A New Trail Found...


More than once I've noticed several cars [not at the same time] parked in an area of Bazemore Park where the Nueces river is...I walk this park many times a month....anyway, I saw the other day that there were no cars there, so, I ventured up the hill and found a marble plaque saying that there is a nature trail in the vicinity. I found the opening to the trailhead and started climbing. Several smaller trails veered off the main trail...tho, I was quite leary of taking any of them since the grasses were high and a lot of this growth was on the trails themselves...we have ticks in the area this time of year - and naturally, found in uncut grass. I stayed on the main trail!!! Boy oh boy was that ever a work out!! A small incline all the way up, and steps galore. One step in particular I nearly had to get on my knees and hoist myself up to continue on the path...



I was there at the park in search of a rare Calliope Hummingbird reported seen near the Hawkwatch Platform. I'll get to that after I share some more of the 'new' hiking trail in photos...







Well, as far as I know I didn't see the rare hummingbird. I really can't say. Why? 'Cause while I was at the hawkwatch platform [where all the hummingbird feeders are - 8 of them], I saw, literally dozens if not hundreds of hummingbirds!!! It was early in the morning, when hummingbirds are active, feeding. And I just couldn't keep track of ALL the feeders at once. They were at the nectar stations by the dozens, they were flying around my head, whizzing by so quickly...they were even zipping in among the tree canopies galore!! Naturally, I took several photos. But, I was anxious to get on the park road and walk. I'll share just one photo of a single ruby-throated hummer that I took in my photos app on the laptop and added rainfall effect. I don't know it the video will work tho, 'cause I'm loading it here directly from my computer instead of youtube - in case of not running correctly, I'll add the original 'still life' image first...



addendum:
It didn't work properly when I published and tested the short effect video, so youtube it is. It'll probably take longer to load than play - it's only 5 seconds of rain coming down...


16 comments:

  1. Nice trail, all right. Then there's having to turn around and come back down. The hardest part for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just the opposite for me. Altho, that day it was strenuous both ways...too humid & warm.

      Delete
  2. That is some trail! Good for you to be able to walk there! Our hummingbirds have all left so some may have come from PA to that feeder area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which reminds me I really should get my feeder clean & outside!

      Delete
  3. Hello, looks like a nice new trail. I would love to see hundreds of hummers, what an awesome sight. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was...and, a bit over-whelming too.

      Delete
  4. The rain is such a cool effect, and it works beautifully! This TRAIL, oh my gosh!! you must have the stamina of a 20 year old! It is always so exciting to find a new nature trail. But you were sure brave to continue on with this. I have never seen one like it!! All the steps and little hills, did you have enough or will you go again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the winter, I'll go again. When it's much cooler.

      Delete
  5. beautiful trail and I can see how it goes up and up and up... I can't imagine that many humming birds in one place. I once saw that with dragon flies, hundreds everywhere we looked. that is a trail I would like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the hummers...but that many dragonflies would kinda creep me out!

      Delete
  6. Love the hummers.... we always had feeders outside and oh how the male fought for territory. Talk about wackamo. Trying to knock everyone off... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wackamo...gotta love THAT expression.

      Delete
  7. That trail looks interesting,but I don't like stairs, or should I say, my knees don't like stairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my meds that weaken my breathing...can be strenuous if I don't stop now & then.

      Delete
  8. What a great discovery. That trail does look like a workout with all the steps. I bet that was pretty amazing with all those hummingbirds in the same place

    ReplyDelete

Table of Contents