my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


In the Company of Kings!


Texas State Historical Markers


One day, recently, it was a beautiful day. The morning was cool [for South Texas] and the sky was an indigo blue with cotton ball clouds! I hopped in the car and drove to Kingsville, Texas. Kingsville is named for Richard King and the King Ranch. The ranch land stretches from the outskirts of Corpus Christi through several counties south...from the Gulf of Mexico west through other Texas counties....covering nearly 900,000 acres...over 1200 square miles!  I stopped at Bishop, Texas along the way and walked the small town park and back through the creek bottom in search for birds.  I spotted egrets, herons, kingfishers, whistling ducks, and a couple of lark sparrows.

At Kingsville my first stop was the ranch's visitor's center.  They have lots of history books, several feeding stations for birds, etc.  I walked the center's grounds and only saw doves...I was hoping to see the Texas's Green Jay, but it wasn't in the books.  Oh, but I saw some long horn cattle!!!


Another breed of cattle started by the King Ranch [recognized by USDA in 1940], origins of mixing Brahman and Short horns in 1918,  is the Santa Gertrudis -first photo- and a Longhorn -second photo-


A Longhorn and the original King Ranch Chuck Wagon



A man made brook at the Visitor's Center


A replica [?] of a ranch bunk house



The Flying "W" is the King Ranch Brand and looking out on the ranch land for as far as you can see!


Kingsville is also home of the United States Naval Training Base...once the pilot trainers graduate from Corpus Christi NAS, they move on to Kingsville NAS to train flying jets...



After about an hour there, I drove to Dick Kleberg [Dick Kleberg was a son-in-law of Richard King] Park.  Woodpeckers, shrikes, and gulls were the only species there...I continued to walk raising my step count before returning home...




18 comments :

  1. Nice post. I had a job offer right out of college at the big Chemical Plant in Kingsville. I ended up working at a Gas Processing Plant near Victoria. I loved south Texas, with the big sky, and the people were nice as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victoria is one of my favorites!!! It's a beautiful....full of history...town!!!

      Delete
  2. So glad to hear your weather is so lovely. We've just got the usual "R" word going on right now, as well as yesterday and tomorrow. You always get the nicest bird pics. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not...it's 90 degrees here....on October 21st!!!!
      Thanks D J [now, send some of that rain]

      Delete
  3. Those are some awesome looking cattle! I wouldn't want them mad at me though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel honored to be in the company of kings, King Ranch too, real kings! I rather like referring to those handsome cattle as kings, in every way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They ARE simply amazing creatures, that they are!!!

      Delete
  5. You always find nice places to go to get your steps in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get bored at home, so....driving to places to walk is something I look forward to when I do get out and about.

      Delete
  6. Great set of interesting pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use to ride in horse show and they were quarter horses....Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never was in a horse show, but I did have a horse long ago...Lucky was her name.

      Delete
  8. I love cows and my favorite cow of all is the Longhorn, that speckled one is just gorgeous... I once saw a few hours old longhorn calf and my heart melted. I would really enjoy this KING of a Ranch... wow.. could live in that bunkhouse.. I have watched so many westerns in my life and read so many books, that when my friend introduced me to their new horse, I said Luke looks like a quarter horse, she said that is because he is.... he is my favorite of her 9 horses because he is such a cowboy horse...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite breed is the Brahma [or Brahman depending on what area of the country you live].

      Ohhhhh, you and Bud! He too loves westerns...books, movie, history, and the like!

      Delete
  9. There is no moss growing on your feet! Wonderful shots of the old west and animals. Love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ended up working at a Gas Processing Plant near Victoria. I loved south Texas, with the big sky, and the people were nice as well.

    doctor strange (2016)

    ReplyDelete

.