my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Good Fren Betta dan Packet Money.

Jamaican Mahn!!
GOOD FREN BETTA dan PACKET MONEY
[translation: A good friend is better than pocket money!]
meaning: Friendship is move valuable than wealth.



A very popular [nation-wide] destination in Corpus Christi along the bay front is the Texas State Aquarium. Recently, after about 3-4 years construction, a new wing has been added to the facility. The over 70,000 square foot and with a price tag of nearly $60 million, it's been open to the public since May [I believe]. Bud and I wanted to wait until much later in the year to avoid the crowds that vacation here with the beach nearby and the locals visiting in droves. We left early in the morning, and got there just after opening, and no large numbers of people yet. [By the time we left, the entrance line was clear down the street about two city blogs long!! What did I say...it's a popular tourist trap. And expensive = 1 year membership is $139, single entry fee is $34.95 for each adult]

Anyway, the new addition is called Caribbean Journey. And, naturally, it's all about the Caribbean Sea and the wildlife/sea life. I hafta admit, it's a spectacular place to go visit. As you enter through the bamboo curtains you're transported to the islands off the Mexican coast! The atmosphere both in tropical temps and free-roaming animals and underwater displays [UNDER the floor you walk on] is just phenomenal.

Without further ado, I share the adventure...



From above, poison tree frogs, toucans, snakes, scarlet ibis [I want to see one of these in the wild!!!], spoonbills and other large and small birds, fishes, sharks, a two toed sloth that was one of my favorites...she was actually quite active!!, waterfalls, flamingos,  and more, along with a 4-D theater..

On the top-most floor there is a dining area/restaurant.  All open glass walls.  And my goodness, what stunning views!  Of the sea, the port, the busy ship channel...the sun was out, the sea sparkled...it was awesome.  I can only imagine what this would look like at night with the city lights and the harbor bridge lighted up too..



I have a few more photos to share of this day trippin'...for another post coming soon!

30 comments :

  1. Wow! Double wow! This is much more than an aquarium. It is like a really fancy and gorgeous zoo. It is totally awesome! And your pictures are so sharp and beautiful. This would be the journey of a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the positive feedback Ginny...glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing your visit. We will be down your way right after Thanksgiving and will definitely make a visit to the aquarium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you'll be on your way to or from the RGV Birding?

      Delete
  3. Wow! Thanks for bringing me along on this amazing trip. It might be expensive, but it sure seems worth it, Anni. I look forward to more! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I haven't been online for much the last couple of days. I hope to get more up soon, on another post.

      Delete
  4. I am still smiling from the title and explantion of title. I understood it and hear it wheni read it. one of the managers at Walmart talks like this and I love to listen to her talk. this place is well worth the money, so much to see. we have the same problem, during our winter it is beautiful weather for visitng but crowded with tourists, summer it is empty but so hot it is unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Around here we even get quite a lot of Summer Vacationers. Odd. As you say it's so hot and humid, it's unbearable.

      Delete
  5. I probably would have been in such awe that I would forget to take pictures. Thanks for the experience through your photos. It is great that you could take the tour and have wonderful sights and experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....that is true, it was a very pleasing adventure. And we will no doubt return sometime again.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the visit. I visited there years ago. Sounds like it is quite stunning now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has changed considerably since we moved here!!

      Delete
  7. Wow, what a place to visit. I can see why the line was down the street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, and this new addition is so great. Makes it even MORE popular I think once word gets around.

      Delete
  8. What an exciting and interesting outing. At that price, I would took it all in. Super job on photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LV....I just think the prices could be a bit lower for families.

      Delete
  9. I have been to a couple of aquariums and they are always worth the visit/price. Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cost would be very difficult for a family of four tho!!

      Delete
  10. Wow! It looks like a great place to visit and what a view! You had a gorgeous day with such a blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and the day after this trip there were two fires...the sky on the horizon was black. Nasty.

      Delete
  11. This looks like a great place to spend the day! Love all the photos, especially the Scarlet Ibis, the fabulous bridge and that great view of the waterfront. It's been a while since I've been to an aquarium. x K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to see one in real time someday. All I can do is dream.

      Delete
  12. Looks like it is worth the price...wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...considering all the cost of food and care for the hundreds of animals.

      Delete
  13. Wow! A very popular place! And well deserved! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and this is just the new addition. So much more with the older parts of the aquarium also.

      Delete
  14. The admission price sounds a little high, but the sights look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed....I agree on both accounts.

      Delete
  15. Wow, we have a place much like this in Duluth although this one may surpass it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the visit. I visited there years ago. Sounds like it is quite stunning now.

    doctor strange (2016)

    ReplyDelete

.