my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out


Along the River Banks....

Up a lazy river by the old mill run
The lazy, lazy river in the noon day sun
Linger in the shade of a kind old tree
Throw away your troubles
Dream a dream with me

~recorded by the Mills Brothers

As I pulled into the paved area to park my car, I spied this [above photo] across the park road. Monday morning I took a short jaunt to Calallen, Texas. along the Nueces River where the nation-wide 'famous' hawk watch takes place from August through November. Recently, throughout the Texas area 1000s of kettles [large groups of hawks] have been taking flight for the winter! Kites, Harriers, Hawks, Anhingas and more. On this day, I wasn't really in a birding mood, tho seeing anything with feathers is always an attraction for me and I will stop to take photos. But this time, I was just there to walk along the river and enjoy the morning in quiet surroundings...

By the standing water between the river and the park's bluff, I would guess that the river flooded recently. The prairie grasses with the wild flowers were everywhere giving me a golden glow with each step I took! The picture here doesn't really show it off very well, but maybe you can get the gist of it all. By the way, in the puddles of water, along the road, many water birds were feeding; with the likes of dowitchers, avocets, willets, and white faced ibis [these ibises are actually a maroon red with green iridescence on their wings and only have white on their faces during breeding season].  To the left of this photo is the river itself where there were ducks, kiskadees, mockingbirds, and flycatchers busy looking for and sampling the morsels of the insects hovering over the river.

The following image of the woodsy area looks hazy...the camera lens was still foggy from the car's air conditioner and I failed to wipe it off...this is where the white tailed deer [from above photo] walked into heading for the pond that you can see in the far background of same photo. There are several park benches along the river's banks for those that just want peace and quiet or perhaps set their rod in the ground and hope for a fish to take the bait. The domestic ducks didn't care much for my intrusion of their claimed shade...




From where I walked in the hollow between the river and the bluff, you can view the tree lined bluff and find the hawk watch platform nestled, and a bit hidden from view unless you know where to look [first photo in this grouping] and some of the boardwalks that jut into the trees along the river.  Here, as you may notice there is standing water beneath the boardwalks - not normal...more flooding.




...and lastly: The Lazy River





41 comments :

  1. I never knew who wrote this wonderful song. A song I love, too. By FAR my favorite pictures today are that river...oh my.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Hogie Carmichael [spelling?] wrote the song.

      Delete
  2. I am so happy to see all this beauty even with the flooding waters still there. walking with you is always and adventure.. i just told Ruth in Canada, that i love being able to travel to other places from my bedroom. seeing things in photos i would never see. yours is always a new adventure. i love fields of flowers like tht first one. so much beauty so little time to capture it and you do capture it for us

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogging IS a good way to see the world, I agree. Thanks Sandra

      Delete
  3. Hello Anni, it does looks like a pretty place for a walk. Love the river views and the hawk platform is awesome. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and enjoy your day too Eileen.

      Delete
  4. That is one of my favorite songs with the Platters and now I have an earworm. You sure capture beauty wherever you walk. I also favor the shots with angles such as the first bench and the boardwalk, #s 5 & 12. Your peek-a-boo through the branches is an interesting picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed walking with me Ms. G

      Delete
  5. I well remember that song and now I've also got an ear worm! Great pictures of a lovely place, Anni. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always remembered the lyrics "mill stream"...but guess the Mills Brothers changed it for THEIR recording. Thanks D J

      Delete
  6. And those hawks, kites and harriers come south to us! I loved the benches, bridges and fences. Thanks for sharing, Anni. Greetings Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy you were able to stroll along with me Jo.

      Delete
  7. I loved the walk along the lazy river! That hawk watch platform is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming with me Marie!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful,refreshing scenes. I have read about those huge kettles of raptors and would love to witness that.We see some settling at our spring watch, but not nearly as many birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should have read 'kettling'.I don't always love spellcheck.

      Delete
    2. Sometimes the sky can look speckled black ...it's awesome.

      Delete
    3. ...and Ruth, I figured it out. No worries. Yes, the spellcheck can be annoying some days.

      Delete
  9. Flooding I can only imagion
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Along rivers it happens often.

      Delete
  10. Inalways enjoy going along on your walks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and I'm always happy to have your company.

      Delete
  11. Good song, pretty walk, great photos! I love the lazy river shot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Something magical and totally relaxing about a lazy river. Love those song lyrics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I admire you for enjoying getting out and about enjoying nature and the critters. I need to get back walking. It is so hard once you get out of the habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...thanks, and I must admit, if I don't get to go walking for some reason, I feel I've not accomplished much for the day.

      Delete
  14. Peaceful places you show here, love them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you came along with me Paula.

      Delete
  15. Ah, thank you for taking us along on your walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! And....thank YOU for critiquing the Bible study!!!

      Delete
  16. Pretty shots! I really like the deer.

    ReplyDelete
  17. looks like an awesome place to explore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice. Most times very quiet where you can 'find yourself' while enjoying the day and nature.

      Delete
  18. Beautiful scenes from your walk. Have a wonderful week-end!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....you also have a wonderful weekend!!!!

      Delete
  19. So nice to see the deer on your walk today. I never knew hawks and raptors migrated until recently. We have one who winter's over here - he just arrived the other day. He sits on a tall cedar and surveys the valley. He looks hungry......but I have lots of bunnies. x K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could see the hawk in your cedar tree!!

      Delete
  20. Lazy river perfectly describes the picture, lazy perfectly describes me today, hee heeee hee, just checkin up on you

    ReplyDelete

.