They Call Me Mom...[and grandma]



With mother's day fast approaching, next Sunday, the 14th, I thought I'd share this, and a few thoughts that go along with the photos. 4 generations of the mothers -[5 generations with grandsons]




This is my mother's mother. My maternal grandmother:


age 18

This is my mother:


age 18

This is me:


age 18


This is my daughter:


age 18



And this is my son, also age 18. This was tougher and rougher on me than his 1st day of school when he was 6!! This photo I chose from my treasure box is of Erik when he left home for the first time...after joining the Marine Corps. Before we got to the terminal, I snapped this photo of him in the Stapelton International Airport [in Denver at the time...it's now no longer used, the airport in Denver is now a newer one...Denver International Airport.] He was on his way to Okinawa. I wouldn't see him again for another 4 years!! This was before the tears flowed!!!


The fifth generation is no females. Two grandsons.  A precious mother's day gift from Irene!!.



1st photo is of Clint [not Clinton - Just Clint] and the 2nd photo is of Dillon
Clint is now 28, born with Down Syndrome. Dillon, Clint's younger brother is 21 and will soon be married [May 27th]  Dillon's betrothed, Devin, will soon be graduating from college, Devin to be a registered nurse and Dillon will continue with his education in law with aspirations of becoming a state judge in the near future. Clint, of course, having a handicap, will continue with his state placed job and live with Irene.

- - -


With my blog followers, you know that I have two adult children. Recently, while sorting through some prized possessions of motherhood, I came across these two that I have put back in my box of treasures. They pertain to mother's day.  Hopefully, if you enlarge them you can read them...




The first one is from Irene...a mother's day card made in class. The 2nd one from Erik, also made in school. Both cards are priceless. They're over 30 years old and the best I've ever received...from my kids, of course!!




45 comments :

  1. You look like your mom! The story behind the picture of your son makes this picture so very poignant and fragile. Clint and Dillon are so beautiful! Your pictures are wonderful, and really do show the strong women of your family. Well, of course you were Super Mom; who else buys their kids pet geese?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol...I've been told that a 'gazillion' times..."You look just like your mother".

      Delete
  2. What a nice glimpse at all the mother's in your family. Those hand made mother's day gifts were always the best. I believe I have a few around here somewhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...get crackin' and find some...I would enjoy seeing them in a blog share.

      Delete
  3. I really really enjoyed all the 18 year old by generation and smiled and laughed at the writings on the card.. an out loud laugh at the she cooks and sets the table. LOVE It... you are right, they are priceless as are the photos. my friend since Jr high has a grand son in the navy, he left at age 18 to go to Okinawa and now 4 years later they await his home coming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling when it's time to have a 'home coming'!!!
      Thanks Sandra

      Delete
  4. I almost cried myself at the picture of your son leaving. And your pictures of all the other 18-year-olds is priceless! You are still recognizable as that 18-year-old self! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grayer...more wrinkled, and quite tired. lol If that's what you mean. But, thanks dear D J.

      Delete
  5. I would say the family is cut from the same cloth! Beautiful pictures and what a nice remembrance for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...all in the genes. lol
      Thanks Bunker.

      Delete
  6. Good Morning! Such precious pictures you have shared. The cards from the children are treasures! Wishing you a lovely Mother's Day week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What lovely photos through the years - you are lucky to have them. And your children and grandchildren are wonderful. What treasures our family is - and the cards are heart warming. Happy Mothers Day my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, thanks JoAnn, and the same to you for a special Mother's Day.

      Delete
  8. Oh, Anni, I loved seeing these. Beautiful family. And I LOVED the cards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...glad you enjoyed this Rose.

      Delete
  9. Oh wow Anni. You are four generations of strong and beautiful women. Great photos of your precious grandsons too. And your son at 18. I loved the MD cards : so typical: daughter says: mom buys me [among other things] shoes. Son says: mom cooks well and feeds us. Thanks for sharing these special memories. Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo...yes, life is special and my family is too.

      Delete
  10. Motherhood gave me great Joy. Even with the ups and downs of it.
    Only one grandchild and looking forward to more grandbabies.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have great grandbabies after Dillon and Devin marry...Wow...getting old, I am.

      Delete
  11. This post is filled with very precious memories. Yes,those homemade cards are by far the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you have a beautiful family. you were a pretty young lady. I've seen pics of my mom with a similar hairstyle. :)
    I love the cards from your kids. :) I have so many that I have saved over the years and I plan to frame a few once we get settled in a home of our own.
    hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh...that'll be awesome to frame them! Thanks marie

      Delete
  13. The photo of your son at 18 was so sad. I can't imagine how it must have felt to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya...it took me quite a while to adjust with his absence.

      Delete
  14. Anni this is an absolutely wonderful post....and the beautiful photos and the Mother's Day cards.
    Hugs madi and mom

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos. Wonderful post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely tribute to the Moms in your family and their children (including you) ~ I cried too when my only biological son went off to college ~ He did fine and is doing well ~ Time flies and they grow so fast ~ you are blessed with a loving family ~ thanks for sharing and Honoring Mother's Day ~
    Happy Week to you ~ ^_^ ~ Happy Mother's Day ~

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful heartfelt post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....I'm lucky in a way to have these photos of all of us at the same age. AND to have a family like these ladies.

      Delete
  18. You have a beautiful family Anni! I remember crying when both of my kids moved out to attend college (and they were just across town at Florida State...yes I'm a baby), but I can't imagine going 4 years without seeing one of them. Those letters from your kids when they were young are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, it wasn't the distance. I guess...it was the idea of him off on his own and I couldn't be there to watch him "grow" into a man of pride for what he accomplished. Now, he has a Master's Degree and teaching at a college.

      Delete
  19. I loved seeing all your photos. Pretty women and handsome guys for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as I loved seeing your photo share of your grandmother. We were thinking alike today.

      Delete
  20. What a wonderful post! I love all the pictures -seeing your mom and grandma and then your kids and grands. You are truly blessed.
    The pic of Erik reminds me of sending Andy off to the Army when he was 18 - tears flowed then too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard for us mothers to let go. MOST of the time...hehehehe

      Delete
  21. I can see the resemblance! Lovely shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been told this a few times....thanks Fi

      Delete
  22. What a wonderful, heartfelt composition from a mother, Anni. I love it.
    K
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travels

    ReplyDelete

.