my POETRY | ANNI'S BOOK CRITIQUES | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes



Got a good reason For taking the easy way out




The New Year Brings Resolutions and More Stuff...

RANDOM


Just some random Bird Photos...Least Grebes

- - -

DOWNSIZING

My New Year's Resolution is something I've promised myself TO KEEP at it 'til it's accomplished! I've been downsizing/getting rid of all our junk. From clothes, shoes [for instance: I have 5 pairs of walking shoes/tennis shoes and only two feet?!!!?], old TVs that have been stored in closets, dishes...junk not used for over a period of years! Even my santa collection, AND witch collection. I've had dozens of large trash can sized trash bags that have been tossed for trash pick up, or stored in the garage for taking them all to Goodwill!!  The other day Bud and I built shelves in a closet for travel bags that have been laying on the floor in a closet along with trade in books, etc. That particular project took us both a whole day.

So far, I've completed

three closets
the hall bathroom cupboards
the dining room hutch and drawers.
The worst is yet to come in the days ahead. The master bedroom walk-in closet [I have plans on building storage shelves in that one], the computer room/library where I store some santa dolls [shelves pending here too] and bedroom furniture/drawers.
I'm in the middle of cleaning out the computer of photos! Once I get them organized by month I'll get them on a flash drive.
Then....the garage! What is it with us who have to 'save' this and that 'cause it may come in handy someday?!! Tons of storage boxes line the garage walls....IT'S GONNA GET DONE!

Bud petting our kitty, Tahoe: "Run and hide poody-kat, Anni is in a throwing away mood! If you get in her way, she just may toss you too."

I think I'll keep her!!



...working on the master bedroom closet now!  We're adding shelves in closets to be more organized once all the litter is gone.

- - -

READING

I also want to read more this year. My pastime of reading has been put on the back burner these past few years....all because I try to walk more and go outdoors on birding day trips. I'm still gonna go birding, but I promise myself to not forget to stop and read.  Lately when I am taking a break, I find myself playing games on my smartphone. My most recent novel is by Michael Blake I found in the clearance aisle for a dollar. His 'fame' as an author came with the book-to-movie Dances With Wolves. Marching to Valhalla is a first person fictionalized account of General George Armstrong Custer. Tho chronologically, it's not accurate, it's pretty darned good. The words just flow easily. It's like ol' Cus' himself is sitting by the fireside telling of his life leading the 7th Cavalry to the day of infamy...June 25th, 1876 where he and is army perish at the hands of the Sioux Nation in Montana. Bud is a Custer buff. I can't begin to tell you how many times we've traveled to Crow Agency to walk the battlefield during our marriage. Our daughter Irene was just a baby when we began our many, many trips there...Anyway, I got sidetracked....I recommend this book highly.

- - -

"NEW" GAME

When Erik stayed with us over the holidays, he brought us a new board game. Well, it isn't a 'new' game, but an improved game! I mentioned getting rid of some of our junk above? The OLD game we had got tossed and this new one replaced it! It's really quite a challenge compared to the original version. It's SUPER SCRABBLE... there are twice as many letter tiles, and the board had not only the double and triple word/letter score boxes, it now had QUADRUPLE word/letter scores. And the board is much larger! [400+ playing boxes instead of 225 - 200 letter tiles instead of 100!] Also, the new version is an award winner.  We played several games...it lasts longer by about an extra 30 minutes to an hour.  And Erik was a whiz....I think he won them all!!

- - -


WORTHY OF A VISIT
It'll pull your Heart Strings!

I was checking out a new monthly meme, Scene and Story, the other day. In order for me to decide if I wanted to join in I felt compelled to click on some of the thumbnails. The very first one I saw was this precious image of a small infant, asleep with his arm wrapped around a rabbit. Cute, right? Indeed. And  while reading I felt happy and melancholy at the same time.  Happy to see such innocence, melancholy...tho melancholy usually comes without any reason...I think 'cause I don't  have small ones around me, it touched my heart in a true sense of days gone by.  My youngest grandson is 21 this year!!  Anyway, such a wonderful, wonderful narration and the image well..........it's priceless! The blog post is entitled "Mr. Bunny". You MUST stop by and read it. The story will melt your heart, and see if you don't agree with Nancy, the blog author, about learning from children.  Tell her Hootin' Anni sent you over to visit....MR BUNNY


42 comments :

  1. Wow on the completed list good job. I keep my house pretty much clutter free but there are closet that get full of things that I say I may need this and then it just sits there for several years and then I get rid of it and the very next week or two I need something that I got rid of but it does need to be done. The thing I dread the most is the room my computer she lives in I have things like I may have 200 CDs full of pictures and I keep wanting to throw them away and I keep not throwing them away

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your computer is female? Mine's definitely male...very stubborn and knows-it-all. Typical. I try to teach it one way, and out of spite...it goes another. Yep, mine's definitely male.

      Delete
  2. Your doing great with your downsizing. Im doing that here too. Im saving the biggest job (my craft room) for last. I know I'll have a hard time with that one and I dont want it to keep me from going any further

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand completely!!!

      Delete
  3. The bunny picture is priceless!! I am freaking out about the new Scrabble!!! We LOVE Scrabble, and Words With Friends, and other word games! I play them with blog friends on Facebook. Want to start a game? Wonder if Super Scrabble is on line? We have been playing for almost 50 years. I am doing the same thing, cleaning up and taking to goodwill. I have vowed it will be the biggest cleanup EVER! But I am not as healthy as you, so it will take me weeks and months. A little at a time, something every day. Where can you buy the Super Scrabble?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it on Amazon!....that's where the pic came from after a Google search.

      Delete
  4. I'm impressed with your cleaning/organizing. I hate to clean out closets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks....I got a bit sidetracked this morning while visiting with you...the cake on my birthday. PETRIFIED I guess.

      Delete
  5. Well you've put my winter cleaning to shame. I haven't gotten hardly anything finished (much started, but that's another story). I'm using the fact that my granddaughter has temporarily taken my spare room as her "kingdom" and I have no where to put anything if I did want to move stuff around. The new game sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if there is no room to use as a catch-all, I can understand the delay.

      The game IS fun.

      Delete
  6. That photo and the writing with it was just the best! Thanks for sending me over there.
    I've been doing some sorting and cleaning too. It feels good, doesn't it?
    Love Buds comment. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wanting to liquidate for years...this is THE year!! And, yes...it feels good.

      Delete
  7. Job well done, at least it's getting done slowly or maybe you can throw without thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...as long as Bud is locked out of the room, I'm okay with tossing 80%....if he's here with me, it's like "You sure you wanna throw that away?"

      Delete
  8. It feels good to clean out stuff every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow I am impressed with your organization of your clutter, we have just made a start it is unbelievable how much stuff we have. It is amazing the mount of stuff we are going to have to get rid of. Love the look of the new scrabble, one of our favourite games.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know....figure nearly 50 years of married life for Bud and me....that's a LOT of accumulation.

      Delete
  10. Over the yearsI have kept pretty well cleaned out because of lack of room. Lately I've noticed that new hidden storage spaces have been filled and I MUST stop finding them. We never throw things away but do find ways to GIVE them to others who seem glad to be the receivers. Going to visit the Bunny site now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You two were smart!! Bud and I have been pack rats from the beginning. Not a good thing.

      Delete
  11. What a lot of good stuff here! I'll check out that book but will stay away from the Scrabble game because I don't want to get hooked. I will check out Mr. Bunny now. Thanks, Anni! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mr. Bunny was larger than I expected . . Such a sweet photo . . You managed ALL That??? Golly. I've been taking good things to Goodwill a little at a time . . . blessing others and my place looks much improved - SO, I'm thinking your home is now Fabulous . . . and perhaps i could "up my game."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't dropped off our bags to Goodwill yet. Waitin' for the last of the closets to be gutted out.

      Delete
  13. Aren't you just the sweetest thing....thank you so much for passing my blog post about Mr. Bunny along to others. That picture touches my heart every time I look at it and think of this precious grandchild...He will grow up much too fast.....
    Sounds like you have been hard at work. Cleaning out is good for the soul and hard on the bones....I need to do some cleaning out myself...You have inspired me....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muscle aches too! LOL

      I so enjoyed that post of Mr. Bunny, I had to direct those that visit here to your site. It was an incredible story/photo!!

      Delete
  14. You do have some impressive goals for the year. I rarely make resolutions because I rarely keep them, but removing clutter is on my agenda this year. You have made awesome progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so good to see you blogging again!!

      Delete
  15. Wow you've got a lot accomplished already! Declutttering is on my list but I just don't know where to start. Sigh. I will get to it. It sounds like you've really got moving with it though.

    Happy Five on Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to start on shelving, so no matter which room closet we started it made no difference. And once the work began it is hard to quit [but we have taken a few days' break here and there just to mend sore muscles] lol

      Delete
  16. Good for you in the downsizing. I vowed to get rid of 50% of my things about 6 months ago and have been doing a pretty good job too. We even went down from two cars to one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One vehicle sounds like a great idea. Maybe we should do the very same.

      Delete
  17. I hope that your decluttering goes well. It is very freeing isn't it. I have been at it for the last year or so in a haphazard way, but this year I have plans to go through the whole house, loft and garden/shed. I am sure that you will find some treasures and find lots to let go of too. Enjoy your reading and scrabble too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The decluttering begins here Monday, it is long overdue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's taken us years to get the 'bug' and get busy on the whole job of work.

      Delete
  19. You've got off to a great start with your spring cleaning, it's amazing where all the things come from. A new resolution for me will have to be get rid of things straight away without putting them somewhere like the loft first. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your profile is not available, I can't leave a comment nor visit with you.

      Delete
  20. That sounds like an amazing and challenging new way to play Scrabble! Way to go on the organization - getting rid of clutter can be so freeing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed...to both the scrabble AND the decluttering.

      Delete
  21. my goodness you have been busy!! i am impressed! i too want to read more and do the same thing, play games on my phone when i'm relaxing instead of picking up my book...i do have my book sitting right here waiting for me though but thought i'd take a few minutes and catch up on blogs!! i laughed about the thought of tahoe getting thrown out lol...thanks for linking and have a great week ahead!!

    ReplyDelete

.