“A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he heard...
Why can't we all be like that bird?”
― Edward Hersey Richards




my POETRY | MEME links | my ART | my BIRD photography | MLB | NFL | hurricanes

Blog Best Viewed with 1600x900 Monitor or Larger
MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!





Day Trippin'

SUNRISE OVER THE DUNES - halfway to Port A
1- Okay, so I drove to the islands again! Left about 30 minutes before sunrise. A cold front had moved in on Wednesday and the winds were brisk in the morning, but supposedly predicted to subside by mid morning. By the time I reached and crossed the JFK Causeway bridge to turn off Park Road 22 onto State Highway 361, the "Low Tire" light on the dashboard loomed into my face! Everything would still be closed since it was so early in the morning...."Do I stop at a gas station and put air in myself?" "I have no gauge, I wouldn't know but guess the amount of pressure I'm putting in and I don't want to blow a tire on the highway heading there!" This highway is now a two lane island road, being built into a four lane!! So, there are barriers all up and down the shoulders during the destruction construction...I couldn't even pull off to turn around unless I used the beach access roads. I kept going. When I reached Port A, the tire shop was still closed. I was early arriving by about 20 minutes. I continued on to my first birding spot and walked the boardwalk. When done there, I got back in the car and drove to the tire shop. I asked for air to be put in the tires...the technician checked all 4 tires. By the time he got to the last one...he found a NAIL IN THE TIRE!! This one was the culprit that made the warning light turn on. He said he could fix it [the tire] right then and there...for $35!! "No thanks, but can I drive it safely to Corpus Christi?" I ask. After testing it with spraying fluid on the nail, there were no air bubbles ... the nail had obviously gotten wedged in the rubber pretty well by now. He said "I'll put in an extra pound, and it'll get you back home safely." I told him thanks and went on my merry way. I didn't immediately turn back home either....I kept on birding! I ended up at the jetty and since the wind was blustery and downright cold, I mainly watched the gulls, pelicans, sandpipers and shrimp boats/ships at anchor out at open waters while sitting in the car. While parked and watching the outdoor activity, I spied a couple of things. One, I really want one! The other: a pelagic bird...pelagic means water only [not a land bird!].  I almost drove right on by it before I noticed it...got photos which I will share on my bird photo blog in the near future.  In the meantime, I'll show you what I want in my photos below and a few more.

I finally got too warm so ventured outdoors and walked the jetty.

When I got back to the car, I checked the tire that has a nail for good measure. It was okay. I left for home after texting Bud I was on my way, and to be ready to go to lunch and get the tire fixed and all the tires rotated.  Bud stayed home to work on one of the kitchen drawers that kept sneaking open...the runner mechanism had cracked, and he had to replace it all.  It now goes shut and stays shut!!!

While the car was being worked on, we walked to Fuddrucker's for a buffalo burger and a drink. After eating, we walked back and they were just pulling our car out of the stall/bay and in no time we were on our way. Cost? FREE! 'Cause we bought our tires there.


- - -


2- Now, my dream....
Ever since a teenager, and growing up with three older brothers who were always working on their cars...being the youngest sister and always in their hair, watching them, I learned a lot about fixing cars.  No, I couldn't now with the new cars because of the computers, but to have an old Model A/T car that needs fixing up from scratch....it's always been something I longed to do.  Seeing this on the beach as I enjoyed the scenery...it made me cringe and turn green with envy!!  Notice the license plates?  COLORADO!!  I think I shoulda followed him home.  hehehehe




- - -

3- A few other photos taken from the car. If they look a bit green, I apologize. They were taken from closed windows and our windows we had professionally tinted making it a bit difficult to get good pictures from inside...



U S Coast Guard leaving [there is a speed limit on the channel]...then out to open, at high speed...were they called out for some disaster? [As I was leaving a USCG helicopter was heading in the same direction!  Scary to think.]

...more boats


4- [check the height of the bow of the boat way out on the horizon!! The pitch and rolling of the boat would've made ME SEASICK!!]  It rolled as it came down and went back up...nearly disappeared behind the wake/waves.  Then, the shrimper going out for the catch!


Gulls Taking Flight and Sandpipers on Jetty Boulders [leeward]



5- <<<->>>
And to end my post today I have a question:  "What would it be like to be the world's FIRST TRILLIONAIRE?  Ask Bill Gates!!
<<<->>>

44 comments :

  1. This post is absolutely splendid! One of your very best. And it begins with gorgeous beauty beyond compare!! The beautiful sunrise and palm trees! Stunning! What a trip you had! And you did not even come straight home! I am glad it all worked out so well. The old car is a real beauty. And those boats!!! In one picture the front is way up in the air! It's a wonder that it didn't topple over backwards. And I also love the second boat picture that's on the right, look at those waves whipping around it! I would be throwing up and too dizzy to walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too....it's not easy watching the rolling and battering some of those boats take on when out away from the channel....look out below!! Thanks Ginny for such positive feedback.

      Delete
  2. Goodness, I was sure no. five was going to be you stranded somewhere with a flat tyre. It didn't seem to disrupt your fine day out, glad it all worked out well in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it did...thanks Karen.

      Delete
  3. So glad to hear you got that tire fixed and at no cost at all to you. You sure do lead a charmed life, Anni. But that's because you pay attention to things, and even change your habits (like after your heart attack) to make yourself stronger. You're one of my favorite role models. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, that boat looks scary the way it is rockin and rollin on the waves! i was nervous about your tire, glad you were taken care of at both places...we get our tires done at firestone...my oldest son went to walmart for a tire because he needed one desperately and they were the only one available, he bought the warranty and then each time a tire goes out, he'd go back and get another warranty...wouldn't you know, everytime a tire would go flat, it wasn't "the tire" with the warranty or not covered...we the last tire he had put on from them made it 4 tires on his car, all with warranties and he had another flat and they said, nope, this tire is not covered or purchased here, which it was, but i couldn't find his receipt...anyways, he was so angry that he vowed NEVER to go to walmart again, for anything, not even a bottle of water! he ended up at firestone...and it seems walmart tires go flat easy! anyways, love the photos and i also love fudruckers...haven't been there in a long time...we don't have them here in virginia but did in san diego and atlanta!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh and thank you for linking and have a great weekend!!

      Delete
    2. Tanya....I can't stand and rarely go into Walmart.

      As for Fuddruckers, I like their burgers...especially the buffalo burger [less cholesterol - or so they say]

      Delete
    3. Ps...thank YOU for hosting!!

      Delete
  5. So beautiful! What a fun trip that looks like. The boats look wonderfully choppy on the seas. I wouldn't want to be on one though!

    Happy Five on Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me either....I rarely like to be on water in a boat in the first place, I'd much rather be on the shore looking OUT to sea.

      Delete
  6. That was a very exciting day for you! Such wonderful scenes and dreams.....and thrills. Yes, a potentially flat tire is a thrill of a different sort. You are so positive and forward looking and admirable with your get up and go! Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta keep active. I guess. LOL

      Thanks for all your visits and wonderful compliments/comments Ms. G

      Delete
  7. I love the water and can't wait until the weather gets nice again to go exploring and spend time at the lake!

    I hope you can stop by:

    http://collettaskitchensink.blogspot.com/2017/01/tea-time-report-cards-and-stationary.html

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That, I did, and enjoyed my visit with you,

      Thanks!

      Delete
  8. I's sure like a car like these . . .
    Thank you for the Fable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. Well, you know that already. lol

      Delete
  9. glad the tire got you home all the way to the FREE repair shop. I love the old car, bob just said during coffee this morning, if he won the lottery he wants a 32 Deuce coup... I said I would buy a 2017 Kia Soul in lime green. ha on the wishes. we both love old cars. the boats are fantastic pics.. I can smell and feel the water in the air from them.. I keep forgetting to say I love the Aesop quote at the beginning, I see it every time but forget by the time I get to comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks Sandra. In all aspects!!!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like you had an interesting morning.Also seems quite successful, as afar as photos are concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In was interesting...things like this happen all the time. Just glad the tire has been repaired and that they've been rotated. I kept wanting to do that, and this was an opportune time.

      Thanks Ruth.

      Delete
  11. this post is amazing! the first pic makes me think of a tropical paradise somewhere that I should be visiting. :) the ships crashing into the waves is so COOL! the way the sun makes the water look like broken glass. then the birds, animals are always a favorite of mine! so beautiful...

    let me know if you get my email I sent you regarding the Towhee. :)
    hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marie...
      Regarding email...my email is never used in blogging.

      Delete
  12. Love that Sunset shot. - So glad you were able to get home safely on the tire and get it fixed for free no less. - Some nice bird shots. Love the waves in the Coast Guard shots and what a cool old car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ida...it was nice to see you visit here today.

      Delete
  13. I knew what you meant in your comment to me, what I said wasn't to you, don't worry. Glad you got safely home after your tire adventure, those sort of things are not fun, it was all well in the end though and that is what is important isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a good day you had other than the nail in the tire. I had a screw stuck in mine not to long ago. It cost $10 to fix mine. Nice that the fixed yours for free.
    I can't imagine what it would feel like to be a trillionaire but I just know I would be good at it

    ReplyDelete
  15. This Sunday hubby and I will be taking a day trip to see his nephew and niece.
    Plus grand daughter.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had a full day! I tend to get paranoid when any lights come on in my car, and I would have had that tire fixed right away - you are raver than I am. :)
    I love, love, love that car!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well...if anything needed done right away...the tire shop was just blocks away from the beach.

      Delete
  17. You are a determined bird watcher! It takes a lot to block your plans.
    That car is amazing! Imagine driving that thing all the way from Colorado!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine the car was towed behind a trailer/rv?

      Delete
  18. Great post and what a wonderful day. Much enjoyed! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good day, considering....thanks!!!

      Delete
  19. Our low tire light came on on both our cars and all the tires needed air. Love the old car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. A long time ago, I used to say to Bud "Why, with computers running the car, why don't they program it so it'll tell you your tires need air"....now, I am not sure I like it. rofl

      Delete
  20. What a great outing! I'm glad the tire held on and that you were able to get it fixed for free. The pitching of the boats in the waves is really something. If it's head on, it isn't so bad, but if it pitches sideways, look out below! Wonderful birds!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My husband likes to quote Bill Gates who once said of his wealth..."It's all just paper." I'd like to have his paper!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My husband would be drooling over that car too. He has wanted one for a long time. I wouldn't buy one unless you could work on it because it seems they always need something. I would have fixed the nail because I would have been afraid to drive on it. You're brave! Interesting about the bird. I never knew there was such a word or bird!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

.