MEME Links are on one page-Use TAB on the menu bar, above!




Sunrise, Sunset....moonrise

I spent most of the day at the islands on November 14th. The morning was when I was walking and doing a bit of birding. I left before sunrise and pulled off the road and stopped on the island highway shoulder to take this photo with my cellphone...



I counted 12 ospreys perched on the power lines and 10 white tailed hawks. I have dozens and dozens of photos of each, so I didn't pull over. Once I arrived at Port A, I took a detour, taking a beach access road instead of heading toward the nature preserves first. I wanted to watch the sunrise on the beach...



After hopping back in the car, covering the floor mats with gobs of soft sand [which Bud hates when I do that...he has to clean it up - lol], I drove to Leonabelle's Birding Center. There wasn't much activity that early in the morning. Spotting about a dozen white pelicans, a couple of Tri-colored Herons, a few Egrets, Grebes, and Cormorants, I left for another area. While walking out of the birding center, I spotted this on the fencing...


White Ibis

Stopping at a couple more areas, Paradise Pond and Charlie's Pasture, it was all too quiet for seeing many birds. So, I decided to go to the Beach again and walked the jetty behind the Marine Science Lab [campus associated]. A hoard of Brown Pelicans kept me occupied. And near a dozen dolphins were feeding, playing near the jetty. I also spotted a beautiful specimen of a Crested Caracara and two Turkey Vultures. By that hour, it was getting close to lunch time. I texted Bud I'd be home for lunch. That afternoon, it was a quiet time, I read my book while Bud napped. Then, we decided to go back to the islands [Padre Island this time], and dine at Mikey Mays Grill on the shore. I had a Philly Steak Sub while Bud ordered a BLT. We downed it all with some beers. By the time we finished and left, the sun was setting west of the dunes...



...the pier lights flickered on:



We kept ourselves occupied, people watching and walking along the shore, trying to pick out a good spot. We weren't the only ones there for the 'special treat'. You see, the night of the supermoon, it was too cloudy. We figured we'd get some decent views this night since it had cleared out somewhat, tho there was a thick haze on the horizon. The beach became crowded with amateur photographers and spectators. Once the sky darkened, the moon made its appearance on the horizon...a bit hidden at times through the cloudy haze, but still visible. Then, it peeked away from the obstructions and the sight was phenomenal...



Once home, the blood red hue of the moonrise had left and we had a full moon illuminating our driveway. It was a long day for me, from sunrise, to sunset, to moonrise!!



58 comments :

  1. Anni I am speechless over all the photos sun rises and sunsets BUT OH MY THE SUPER MOON is the true definition of AWESOME. So many miss use Awesome but it truly applies here.
    It was cloudy and rainy both nights when it was supposed to be the best visibility.
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's usually our weather here on such occasions!!

      Delete
  2. They are all wonderful, from beginning to end. The super moon is awesome! And beautiful pier lights at dusk. Such a day full of beauty, from beginning to end. Both moon and sun photos are just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great day. Love the sunrise pictures and that moon is just awesome. I can never get a good picture of the moon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, they are all wonderful, but that first shot of the rising supermoon is breathtaking! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an amazing set of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wasn't the moon amazing. We have red tail hawk here in Idaho, and had to google in white tail walk to see what exactly one was.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely WAS amazing.

      Delete
  7. You captured the day beautifully! I am a bit jealous of your moon shots!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just as you like it! An amazing day with even more amazing photos to document it! I loved this post and I love how YOU love all things nature!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Anni, love the sunrise and the moon shots. Great capture of the Ibis on the fence.
    Happy Thursday, enjoy your day and the weekend ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a full day, love the moon shots, especially the one with the pier!

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful skies and moon, and loved the ibis on the fence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The colors of the sunrise and sunset are beautiful - and that moon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was surely a full day and evening. ALL of your shots are wonderful to see. I especially like the peeking through the pier picture (next to last). You captured the day and evening perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that photo of the white Ibis is so Edgar Allen Poe like, I really like it. You sure were a lucky person not just being there, but all the critters you met along the way! Life is so wonderful in gifting us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is good....
      Thanks Karen

      Delete
  15. the perfect way to spend your day.. I very much enjoyed your slide show of your day. so much beauty. I love the fence the ibis is sitting on... sun over water is always my favorite but of these today I am leaning towards the dunes sundown pics

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, you got the moon and night photos. I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruth...glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  17. Great fortune with your Super Moon, Anni. I wanted to see it, but it was overcast and rainy in D.C.

    "I have dozens and dozens of photos of each, so I didn't pull over."

    I have no photos of those raptors!

    But I'm glad to see yours.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the photos!

      Delete
  18. These are all so gorgeous I can't even pick a favorite! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  19. All excellent and creative photos ~ awesome moon and sky shots ~ thanks,

    Wishing you a peaceful weekend ~ ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow..wow..wow!!! these are breath-taking photos!!! I think the pier shots are my favorite overall, but wow...just gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow what a place to film the moonrise. Your images are so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You had quite a day from before sunup to after sun down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pretty day all the way 'round, but I was tired afterward. lol

      Delete
  23. Great you are lucky to have watched all the characters of the supermoon. I only have a small view between buildings that time, but the clouds didn't allow me to get a full shot. I also arrived home past the moonrise, besides that stage was blocked by other buildings! How unlucky you get sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, here it's usually so cloudy nothing is visible.

      Delete
  24. Wow - you got some amazing shots!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A great series of photos!
    The first shot of the pier is my favorite
    Have a wonderful week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a lovely post. The sunrise is so pretty. - The Ibis on the fence was really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful moon shots!! I like how you captured the reddish tint when the moon was on the horizon. Interesting how it picks up color on the horizon, which disappears as the moon gets higher in the sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the 'red' has a lot to do with the haze at the horizon.

      Delete

.